Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage 690 RPL+ VS Sage 690 FLi  (Read 6510 times)

Stefan.C

Sage 690 RPL+ VS Sage 690 FLi
« on: March 23, 2005, 12:15:02 PM »

Any one out there that can say the differance between this two rods???
I'm seeking a RPL+ but gets dead meat on this one so im in the mood
to buy the FLi.
So any one have any suggestions or opinion about this two rods
so Sage RPL+ or FLi
I simply LOVES the RPL+ but is there any big differance between this two rods

Recommendations??

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Sage 690 RPL+ VS Sage 690 FLi
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:21:50 PM »

Hi Stefan,

I own a 590 RPL+, and must agree with you that RPL+'s are awesome rods. I have taken a look at the new FLi's, they are fast rods. In comparison both the RPL+'s and FLi's are both a fast action fly rods, designed to generate high line speed and distance in the cast. In general the FLi's feel lighter than any RPL+ of comparable models ::). I think its due to a lighter overall blank, lighter components and refined rod building techniques.
However, you have to use common sense when comparing the two rods. There are stores that still have a few RPL+'s around, but they are listed at around $240-260 for a blank and $380-$480 for a factory rod. A brand new factory FLi retails at around $300-$350. IMHO, I would buy a new FLi, because it's the lastest Sage blank technology for $300-$350 ;D. Why pay the same money for a rod that is 10 year old technology ???

Carlo
« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 07:24:49 PM by Chrome Mykiss »

Stillwater Angler

Re: Sage 690 RPL+ VS Sage 690 FLi
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 09:29:50 AM »

I don't know if this helps. I was in a shop called Exiter Sports in 100 Mile House a couple of weeks ago and they had at least one RPL+ in their rod rack. I am pretty sure it was a 690. I was considering buying it myself. I have several Sage rods and while the XP's are my favorite I have a couple of the RPL+ rods that I still really love to fish. While I agree with Chrome Mykiss to a certain extent about buying old tech I don't know that new is always better in this case. I would probably buy the RPL+ over the FLi. In fact I may do just that on my next trip through 100 Mile House if you don't grab it first.

Cheers