Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flyfishing line  (Read 6580 times)

senpai

• I'm a llama!
Flyfishing line
« on: March 16, 2005, 10:41:47 PM »

I have a 6wt flyrod and current have 6wt floating line on it. I want to get some sinking line. Should I be looking at getting some F/S or S line.  I am relatively new to flyfishing. Will be basically using it for both river and lake fishing. Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Flyfishing line
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:46:12 PM »

Rio Multi Tip gives you several options.

d_w

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 11:19:14 PM »

rio versa tip is a great choice if your river fishing, but would not give the advantage of the full sink line, being the whole line sinks, and the versa tip 10-14ft of the tip
Fishing Is life the rest Is just details

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 11:15:19 AM »

I just bought my Rio this week.  I love it.  Spend the $150 on it and you'll have 4 lines and only 1 reel.  If you have your heart set on a sinking line, I would get a fast sink.  It will get deep quickly and for the full length of the line.  I'll still use my fast sink in the lakes as the changeable tips on sink on the first 15'.  Fast sink line with floating flys can be deadly for the trout.  Remember, 90% of the trouts diet is taken under water, not on top.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 06:11:13 PM »

as The Gilly says,I'd  go with the multi tip system, I'm changing as soon as the CFO autherises it 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »

In my arsenal I've never really needed anything for anything other than a sink tip and a fastsink for hitting under the surface, thats just me though!  I think i like the fact that a FS will get you down where you need to be a little quicker, again, personal pref....everybody is different!

Stillwater Angler

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 09:40:31 AM »

I would go with the Full Sinking line myself. Not to knock the multi tip line systems, I think they probably have their place I just personally haven't found it yet.

Cheers

steelheadjunkie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 01:52:46 PM »

The interchangable sink tip lines are great for salmon and steelhead fishing in rivers. But if you mostly fish the lakes the full sink is best... it attains greater depth and it sinks evenly on its decent rather than having a portion of floating line propping the sinking portion up at a un natural angle. :)

halorail

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 02:50:15 PM »

My goto line is a type II Sinking. caught more fish with it a least (10 to 1)
Pack Out Your Trash

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 05:26:13 PM »

if you are going to have limited amount of line here is what is best.
For rivers, get the rio multi-tip or something compariable...SA and such. This will cover all kinds of situation for salmon and steelhead fishing. Full sink for rivers is useless, cause u can't mend full sink lines in moving water, execpt for coho fishing in "frog" or slack water where u can use a clear sink line and doesn't need mending. But even here a floating or sink tip works just fine.

In still water...it all depends on what kind of fishing you do. It's hard to get every situations covered by just one line.
Floating line is probably the #1 line to get and then a sinking line second. all high end floating lines are good. It's more personal preference. Any SA products are good. I presonally use Ultra4. For sinking a slime line or clear line is good to have.
I chironomids fish 95 percents of the time so i don't ever use anything but a floating line that same amount of time with the other 5% of the time using the clear sink. I can basically cover any depth with the floating line by using longer leaders anyways.

If u have the funds you can have a floater, sink tip and a couple full sink in different sink rates. But that will probably happen over time anyways as you find more and more reason to buy more fishing equipment.