Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing for pinks  (Read 9749 times)

ray

• I'm a llama!
fly fishing for pinks
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:08 AM »

This will be my first year fly fishing for pinks and was wondering what line or lines i would need. I have a 6wt rod with a floating line and some beadheaded flies. I will be mostly fishing the lower fraser and maybe the harrison and the vedder canal. Thanks

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
Re: fly fishing for pinks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:11:27 PM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=27011.0

Seems like the Rio Multi or Scientific Angler Multi-tips are the best bet. I only have a 8WF F line for my set-up and will now have to bite the bullet in buying 3 different sink tip leaders. I'll probably need a Intermediate, type 2/3 and type 5 to get to the strike zones. As well, I've read on this forum and a few others that "Rolled Mudlers" and "Charlies" might be the ticket... This is my first year fly fishing for salmon as well and can't wait trying out my flies! Good luck Ray!

Mike
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:27:11 PM »

if you already have a weight forward dry line then you only need tips and only a couple different ones honestly. If your dry line came with a factory welded loop at the end then your ahead of the game, if not then have your local shop put one on because this will make switching tips up

tips you will need is a clear intermediate and a type 6. using these matched with beadhead flies will get you into pinks and coho in most situations. sometimes a type 8 may be needed because of water depth or speed.

happy fishing.

buy the tips or have them made up from bulk material at the fly shop, way cheaper than buying the entire Rio Versatip system
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »

Hi Hook,

I do have a Rio line and it came with a welded loop. So you would suggest clear intermediate, a type 6 and type 8? Any chance you have a ballpark figure how much those will run me? And will a Sage 1880 reel hold up in the Vedder/Chilliwack? As well, can you recommend me a few other flies to tie before the peak of the salmon run? I remember reading you mentioning MOAL Leeches on one of the topics. What color and size hooks?
 I'll post some pics of the flies I will attempt to catch salmon with once I get a hold of a computer so I can upload properly. Thanks for the advice!

Mike

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

for pinks you dont need a big reel that will be fine.
as for flies i tie mine in size 6.
my main fly is green with yellow dumbell eyes and very bright chartruese chanelle from the eye going to the bend. then green crystal flash from the eyes extending an inch past the hook. also it works good in blue or pink.
and i use about a 15 ft type6 sink type and with my flie abpve gets down fast and stays in the strike zone.
and the blue seems to work better closer to salt water or off beaches
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 05:03:23 PM »

if you buy the premade tips from RIO i believe they run around $25 each, i hope im wrong LOL Having those 3 tips will get you into fish on any of our local rivers/steams unless you wanna target Springs then you may need a chunk of T14 to get deep enough. remember pinks are pretty aggressive and love to chase something that just whizzed by their nose

for flies i would just tie up Wooly buggers in hot pink and chartruese, beadhead rolled muddlers in natural, olive and pink and chartruese mini clousers any of these fished properly will catch pinks consistently. I always have these in my box in large numbers along with a couple other patterns that are more saltwater patterns. My best fly is usually the Clouser and no snagging with the way it rides upside down  ;D

Check out our new blog

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »

Hi steelie-slayer & HOOK,

Thanks for all the advice. Will need some chartreuse and hot pink deer hair before I can start tying some clouser minnows. As well, what shade of blue would you recommend? Royal, Sky or Baby(blue is the only color i dont have in my fly supply bin). I should have tons of size 6 wet hooks to get me started! Question, do you guys do a copper wrap on the shank of your hook to add additional weight for the eyes? Aside from deer hair, have you guys used elk hair or any other material for the wings?
  Heading out to the fly and tackle shop shortly in hopes of adding more to my fast growing fly-tying arsenal. It seems there's always something we tiers need. If I'm not mistaken, this will be a hard habit to break!

Thanks again guys!

BTW. have you guys ever implemented rattlers on your flies? I can't help but think of it's effectiveness especially for our lovely trouts here in BC...;D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:21:49 PM by Iyekim76 »

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »

Hi steelie-slayer & HOOK,

Thanks for all the advice. Will need some chartreuse and hot pink deer hair before I can start tying some clouser minnows. I should have tons of size 6 wet hooks to get me started! Question, do you guys do a copper wrap on the shank of your hook to add additional weight for the eyes? Aside from deer hair, have you guys used elk hair or any other material for the wings?
  Heading out to the fly and tackle shop shortly in hopes of adding more to my fast growing fly-tying arsenal. It seems there's always something we tiers constantly need.LOL!

Thanks again guys!

BTW. have you guys ever implemented rattlers on your flies? I can't help but think of it's effectiveness especially for our lovely trouts here in BC...;D

You can use lead wire, I find it helps to get the fly really deep if you need it to.  As far as different wing materials, I like to use Arctic Fox Hair - really easy stuff to tie with
- John A.

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »

Hi Jawrey,

I was not able to pick up the arctic fox hair. I did find the deer hair in Charteuse, Hot Pink, Purple and Blue so I'm quite ecstatic! Picked blue thread as well and I hope I do find all my Flashabou which should have all the different colors. Can't wait
To tie tonight! The tackle shop in Bellingham has their annual tent sale. Unfortunately, they don't have any sinking leaders in stock. Might have to swing by at Searun Fly & Tackle soon...

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »

Hi Jawrey,

I was not able to pick up the arctic fox hair. I did find the deer hair in Charteuse, Hot Pink, Purple and Blue so I'm quite ecstatic! Picked blue thread as well and I hope I do find all my Flashabou which should have all the different colors. Can't wait
To tie tonight! The tackle shop in Bellingham has their annual tent sale. Unfortunately, they don't have any sinking leaders in stock. Might have to swing by at Searun Fly & Tackle soon...

Hey!  That's great!  If you don't have any, grab some krystal flash in a couple colours like pearl, black, blue, green, maybe a pink and a chartreuse.  Arctic fox hair is a little tricky to locate sometimes, and if you do find it get a stash.  It ties great intruders too

J
- John A.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »

I really hope you mean Bucktail when you say deer hair because the bucktail is longer softer and doesnt float like deer hair (body or belly hair)

I tie my clousers with X-small lead eyes so the fly flips over and rides with the hook point up like they are supposed to, these also make them virtually snag free unless you get under the fish then it can become a wicked belly hooking machine  :'(
Check out our new blog

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »

Hook - even better tie them up on Bass Weedless hooks - these are available mail order through Bass Pro and have metal hook point protectors.  Just about as snag free as you can get!  ;)

K
Try the fly!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »

I hardly ever foul fish, fish look up so why fish under them, right ? If i snag one then i will change my tip or leader length or to a fly without a beadhead to have my fly higher in the water column so that im not dragging through the school or under it. Of course you are going to foul a few each year with such large schools moving about in the water but i try my best to limit it.

spey fishing for pinks and coho can be the hardest because you get alot of pinks and chum lining the shallows and when you toss up your anchor to re-cast it may snag fish  ::) sometimes very hard to avoid so i switch rods back to casting.

get yourselves a stripping basket for river fishing, it will be like night and day to making your day easier and more enjoyable instead of fighting the line off the water to cast causing you to make alot more false casts then needed.
Check out our new blog

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:23 AM »

Hook,

I did purchase Bucktail and was not specific with my reply. Still tying still water flies including a modified version of your chironomid. Perhaps I'll bump into you at timbers and give you a couple of mine. Not using Timeco hooks yet but will gradually apply those hooks as they are slightly better than the Mustads. Needed a little bit more time to make sure my flies are effective on the other end of the line.
  Question, has any of you ever cut-off the front portion of a fly line that is not being used? I have a SA 7WF INT SNK coho clear line that's just gathering dust and am considering turning her into leader material. Will it be hard to make that loop in the end so I can just easily attach to my existing floating line? As well, will it make a huge difference if I stepped down with weight classification? I will eventually buy the other leaders but will probably go for one weight max two weights higher to give me that extra weight on a cast.
Similar I guess to a shooting head idea....

Mike

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »

Hook,

I did purchase Bucktail and was not specific with my reply. Still tying still water flies including a modified version of your chironomid. Perhaps I'll bump into you at timbers and give you a couple of mine. Not using Timeco hooks yet but will gradually apply those hooks as they are slightly better than the Mustads. Needed a little bit more time to make sure my flies are effective on the other end of the line.
  Question, has any of you ever cut-off the front portion of a fly line that is not being used? I have a SA 7WF INT SNK coho clear line that's just gathering dust and am considering turning her into leader material. Will it be hard to make that loop in the end so I can just easily attach to my existing floating line? As well, will it make a huge difference if I stepped down with weight classification? I will eventually buy the other leaders but will probably go for one weight max two weights higher to give me that extra weight on a cast.
Similar I guess to a shooting head idea....

Mike

Tiemco's are great, as are Daiichi's

J
- John A.