Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 144129 times)

UFC

Anyone see much in the way of coho yet? Or is it mostly early springs?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

Didn't see much coho wise the other day. Did see a couple springs though...
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Anyone see much in the way of coho yet? Or is it mostly early springs?
From what I gather not many although made my first trip out today and landed a chinook around 20 pounds, was in nice shape. The main problem will not be the lack of fish this season but the river conditions because of the clayslides, conditions good one day and out the next. It will be interesting to see how many are on the flow when because the visibility makes the river unfishable they are still out there. :o ::) :P

BwiBwi

• Old Timer

Most people will have to fish upper end if water clearity below is bad.  Wow 20+km of fishable water down to a few km.  Wow, it's going to be shoulder to shoulder at days.  :P

poper

I got off the river at about 7pm and the river was starting to turn more of a greyish brown color! might not be so good for sunday an less u go up top!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Was surprised to see the river very fishable this morning, I thought it would be out so did not rush out. I also was surprised to land another bright adult chinnook in the 15 pound range. As well it was a clipped fish. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Just took a look after church and it was still in very good shape. People every where, many long linning. ::) :o

fisherwithrod

I went by the river yesterday, on my way to Chilliwack Lake. Did not have the gear with me, notg did I had the time, but I saw quite a few cars parked on the side, and saw a few fishermen at work where the river is close to the road.

Wow, I wonder if anyone is having success at landing any fish. Certainly the sign of fishermen on the river is good; I hope that it is just because it was a Saturday...

guy

fish_on

Down river from the Vedder Crossing Bridge, I can see several fishers working on both sides and quite a few fishers were below the cliff face. Looks like quite a vast open gravel area to fish at. I only remember years past that I accessed from the restaurant parking and walked below the bridge, sort of behind someone's backyard, and can't go any further 'cause the cliff and a deep hole. I was wondering is there any access to the lower run?

poper

went out to day and water conditions were good and lots of people too!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

Down river from the Vedder Crossing Bridge, I can see several fishers working on both sides and quite a few fishers were below the cliff face. Looks like quite a vast open gravel area to fish at. I only remember years past that I accessed from the restaurant parking and walked below the bridge, sort of behind someone's backyard, and can't go any further 'cause the cliff and a deep hole. I was wondering is there any access to the lower run?

Just park lower down the river and walk up.
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

I took a visit to the Lower Vedder near dark and how beautiful it was, just watching the end of another day as darkness fell over the area, the flood tide was now having an affect on the flow, covering the few sand bars still exposed.

It was enjoyable watching wave on wave of geese heading to their roost on the gravel bars of the Fraser, a few miles away. I imagined they were content after a day of feeding on the agricultural lands of the Valley, they honked quietly to each other as they passed overhead.

Waves of salmon, quietly, silently, ghost like, passed by, unnoticed except to the experienced eye, only a slight ripple created by their silver backs still fresh from their ocean home for the last 2 or more years giving their presence away.They were drawn by that age old urge to reach the place of their birth, a few miles upstream be it the hatchery or a gravel bed further away. A lone solitary figure is making his last casts of the day hoping one of these passing fish will cut their journey short and take his offering.

Wave on wave of traffic also zip by, not so quietly, at the end of their weekend, heading to the hustle and bustle of City life 60 miles or less away. Many if not all are aware of Nature at work, a few feet below and above where they travel.

As I prepare to leave the area darkness has now fallen, I know I will return, God willing to this sacred place to many of us, be it the Chilliwack Vedder River or many of our precious water courses in the Province of British Columbia. When you do, take time like I did tonight to see the sights and sounds around you, you will be rewarded in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 04:48:21 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Forgot to mention conditions were still good at dark, light rain now. Talked to an angler who had a seal chasing his fish that he was fighting, others threw sticks at it to scare it away but the angler had it fall off before the seal got it anyway. He said another angler lost a fish to a seal today.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Conditions were perfect again this morning and I landed a bright chinook jack and a colored chum. Lost two other fish that felt like adult chinooks as I saw they flash before they left the hook behind. Gary got a very nice hatchery coho and of course we did not make the most of a few other chances.

I saw one other adult chinook retained.

We had some heavy rain showers early morning but the river had stayed in when we left around 10.

t-bone

the water conditions are excellent, perfect visibility. I saw one spring taken in the lower but hear the upper is far more productive - for springs that is.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16