Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 144115 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer

Buck I saw that on a forecast online somewhere (120 00)... gov PFD like a month ago, not sure how accurate it is. I know there is no way 250 000 fish will come up the Vedder though.

I have to take my post back about it being fishable by Friday.... I doubt it will be fishable by the weekend even. The slide was really big so lots of clay is still seeping into the river. Visibility was around the same, if not worse than when I left yesterday when I left today (at around 5). Fished for an hour and gave up, I found it pointless to fish in pea soup. If you live more than a hlaf hour a way its probably not worth the drive up... only spot fishable will be cement slab down to the slide and that will be packed come this weekend.

Every Day

• Old Timer

Water visibility was very poor yesterday at around 4-6 inches. Today was slightly better at around 1-1.5 feet. I would'nt expect it to get much better than that as they clay is still sitting in the river up top, and the slide is huge, so it will take a long time for it all to wash away. I know that if I lived in the city I probably would'nt come down unless you leave really early and hit up top (above the slide) as it will get busy fast. Here is a pic tonight of water clarity (water closest to edge is clear, water on back is river water)

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!

Vedder Bridge at 1500 this afternoon: (hope this works as nevr uploaded a pic before.

Every Day

• Old Timer

I wont say anything about the reports.....

Clairty gets slightly better as you head downriver, since the clay is settling on the bottom. Seriously though I probably wouldn't drive out if I lived more than a half hour away. Clarity is at like 1.5 feet (as good as it gets unless your up at Ranger) .Some people are getting lucky, but you pretty much need to hit them in the nose with good roe. Another thing to think about is the fish are not sitting in holes... there are spread out all through the river, the last 2 days I have even seen them in water where their backs are exposed, so happy fishing  ;)

Every Day

• Old Timer

Water clarity is perfect. The fish can see and it doesn't effect them too much except with spawning. Coho and springs mostly spawn in upper but chum tend to spawn in the lower. Saw some fish jumping around in the holes today as well, time to get the fly rod out  :D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself

We found the clarity at first light to be about 2 feet but it slowly got worse as the day went on. Wait till the end of the week and it will be completely gone as the rain is coming for Thursday-Sunday.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

CohoMan

• Old Timer

Was not there myself but on Sunday I spoke to an oldtimer that told me that its open again.

Geff_t

• Old Timer

I herd visibility was the same today as yesterday which was at around 1.5-2 feet. Unfortunatly that is as good as it gets. But when the rain comes on Thursday it will be 0 . :'(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Every Day

• Old Timer

Vis was like 3 feet today, maybe more. That was between the Crossing and Lickman road. The water has also dropepd an aweful lot since yesterday. The place I crossed yesterday that was waist deep was knee deep today... 

The gravel removal goes till the 20th of September. Both the Train Bridge and Lickman Road are closed right now.  ;)

buck

Ranger run clay slide slumped into the river today around 3:00 pm.  I don't think the river will be fishable tomorrow.
Visibility appeared to be less than 6 inches. At 3:45 clay had reached the Allison pool but had not reached Tamihi
when we were crossing the bridge..

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard

Black bear warning

Last night a friend and I were fishing in the canyon above Alison pool and were greeted by a sizable black bear looking for a dinner in the river. It was about 15 yards away from us when I noticed it. My buddy was cleaning his catch, we said screw it and left his 14lbs spring and took off down river towards alison pool and climbed the steep hilside and made it safe to the road and walked back to the truck. First time in ten years of fishing the Chilliwack river I have ever seen a bear there. Just a warning, be carefull guys :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Condition were not to bad this am when I looked, saw some waves coming through the shallows of the canal. ;D ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer

Black bear warning

Last night a friend and I were fishing in the canyon above Alison pool and were greeted by a sizable black bear looking for a dinner in the river. It was about 15 yards away from us when I noticed it. My buddy was cleaning his catch, we said screw it and left his 14lbs spring and took off down river towards alison pool and climbed the steep hilside and made it safe to the road and walked back to the truck. First time in ten years of fishing the Chilliwack river I have ever seen a bear there. Just a warning, be carefull guys :o

My brother was at Borden creek last friday when they where forced out by a black bear. Told him he better get some bear spray. I never hit the river with out it.

jeff

What are the rules on carrying bear spray?
Enjoying the water..........

patagonia

Their are no rules but if you use it as a weapon you can be charged criminally... depending if you can justify your use of force... if a guy pulled a knife on you or had some other sort of weapon or was kicking the @#$% out of you and you happened to have bear spray on you for the legitimate purpose of protecting yourself from bears then I think you would be OK; however, if you just sprayed a guy because you got pissed off in an argument or picked a fight with the wrong person then i think you would have some tough questions to answer. ... bottom line, carry it for bears  if you are fishing and not in case you get into a confrontation...