Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using a landing net on the Vedder  (Read 1848 times)

norm_2

Using a landing net on the Vedder
« on: October 09, 2023, 07:56:42 AM »

I have no problems beaching fish so I have not experienced using a net. Let's say I am netting for someone.

1) Let's say it is a gently sloping beach.  What is the optimum depth of water the fish should be in?  Is it about one foot?

2) Where do I stand in relation to the fish? Do I crouch between the fisherman and the fish or should I be upstream of the fish and let it swim into the net?

Any other netting thoughts?  Thanks.

Riverman

• old fart
Re: Using a landing net on the Vedder
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 08:14:22 AM »

I favour up or down . This way you do not block the anglers view of the fish and it's possible actions. Keeping the net in the water at a low angle close to shore all but eliminates trauma to the fish if it is to be released. In my most recent trip to the Vedder I witnessed many anglers using this technique with very good results. No need to dwell on others net skills as I am sure others are painfully aware.
Riverman

stsfisher

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 08:33:37 AM »

I use a landing net on every salmon. I don't rely on others to net them for me so every scenario is different, however I use a long handled net so most fish are netted while standing in less than a foot of water, fish swung slightly upstream if possible and lead to the net.
I do not maneuver away from my location as most ethical anglers will allow space for you to net your fish properly. Dont rush the final approach as most fish are lost at the net trying to keep other fishers from being pissed because they may have to wait an extra few seconds.

canucksfan233

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 05:07:48 PM »

Just me, I like to take it downstream of them with maybe 1-2 feet of line left until the float (if it was up and the fish swims down, there's a lot of slack) and I like to grab their line very gently, just to trace my hand down to their float where I feel I have more control. If the fish make any sudden movements, I let go. I only do this with people I know (as me touching someones line would make them nervous) and haven't had any issues with it yet so. I prefer to not net random peoples fish unless they specifically ask me. May not be the best method for everyone and can definitely make a lot of people nervous touching line during a fish fight lol

bj23

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 02:05:18 PM »

I use a landing net on every salmon. I don't rely on others to net them for me so every scenario is different, however I use a long handled net so most fish are netted while standing in less than a foot of water, fish swung slightly upstream if possible and lead to the net.
I do not maneuver away from my location as most ethical anglers will allow space for you to net your fish properly. Dont rush the final approach as most fish are lost at the net trying to keep other fishers from being pissed because they may have to wait an extra few seconds.

++++ Absolutely, very scenario is different.