Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using a glow light on float. Allowed or illegal.  (Read 7619 times)

mikeyman

Re: Using a glow light on float. Allowed or illegal.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »

If i cant see it...how can the fish? So scent and lateral line detection. Maybe on a full moon clear sky. Never witnessed anything caught until it starts lightening up a bit. Unless flossing or snagging of course. Remember the days when sockeye on the fraser floss started up. Before midnight. 2. After 2. Possession limit home time. That was put to an end real quick.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:51:44 PM by mikeyman »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 09:43:52 PM »

Many years back, before I knew better, I fished spots (KW Bridge, etc) where glow sticks on floats still in the dark 1 hour before sunrise were the norm. Now I avoid those spots like the plague. Ive been fishing a lot of 1st light lately and everyone (usually same crew of guys) just waits until we can actually SEE our damn floats. This morning was about 30 minutes past when we could legally wet a line. We refer to the glow stick on the float as a "beak beacon." :D

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »

Especially in clear water conditions where you know the first light bite only lasts less than an hour, don't be afraid of fishing in the dark - just do it carefully.  I have hooked several fish on glow-in-the-dark corkies or spin-n-glows, and have seen other anglers catch fish this way.  Back in June while bar fishing for sockeye on the skagit river with sand shrimp, we would use glow scent from the moment of the first legal cast, which at that time of year is about 4:15 am.  Fish were often hooked in the first 5-10 minutes after the legal first cast.  Fish can see much better in the dark than you or I - there isn't much light in their normal cruising depths in the ocean.

If you can't see your float, try other techniques like tossing a dick nite spoon with a dropper weight.  They make at least one glow model of that spoon.  I have also seen coho hooked with spinners in frog water well before I could see a float.

As to the original question - I don't know why using a glow light on a float would be illegal - you are clearly not using the light to attract fish, because you don't want them to attack the float - you want them to bite the business end.