Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using a glow light on float. Allowed or illegal.  (Read 7620 times)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Using a glow light on float. Allowed or illegal.
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:01 PM »

Hi guys

Someone asked me about using lights on their floats.

Ok or illegal. Obviously observing the 1 hr before and after darkness rule.

I think I read somewhere you cannot put it beside the lure only.

Tangles

Re: Using a glow light on float. Allowed or illegal.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 01:37:30 PM »

It is legal but that being said I've never ever seen a guy hook anything on a lighted float LOL. I personally would never bother, as I recall guys fishing in the dark just to get a giant birds nest and miss half the time of actual first ĺight bite.. so no thanks

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:44:56 PM by blaydRnr »

Tangles

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 01:43:34 PM »

It is legal as long as the light is attached to the line no longer than 1m from the hook, so no headlights please LOL

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 01:45:47 PM »

It is legal as long as the light is attached to the line no longer than 1m from the hook, so no headlights please LOL

read it again (synopsis for 2017/2019) and look at the original post.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:47:50 PM by blaydRnr »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 02:13:26 PM »

From the synopsis: "Use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook."

So you could if the light were on the bottom of the float and the hook was less than 1m under the float. Perhaps you could use an iPad in a waterproof case playing a video of baitfish? I'll let you take my idea without paying me a royalty as long as you post a video!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 02:22:05 PM »

From the rule...it looks illegal

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 03:32:08 PM »

From the synopsis: "Use a light in any manner to attract fish, unless the light is submerged and attached to the fishing line within 1 m of the hook."

Seems to me that is a more effective way of attracting fish than having the light on the float. ;)

Tangles

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »

If it's a glowstick attached along the float then its bottom end is for sure submerged as well as attached to the line, and if you have 3ft(1m) to the hook then you should be fine.
 The way I see it the regulations are primarily intended against really bright lights like using your headlights or large spot lights. Those are the type of lights that can attract fish.
These methods are actually applied legally in commercial fishing for night time species in many parts of the world. They either shine monstrous spotlights into the depths or launch something like a downward underwater fireworks to illuminate a large area. Tiny glowstick isn't going to draw much attention by any fish.
Also why would they specify "1m to hook and attached to the line" instead of just saying "no lights involved in any fishing gear, period"?
Anyway, you can read it anyway you want, I dont use glowsticks but would hate to see some decent guy's day ruined by sjw's first thing in the morning.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »

I wouldn't and haven't used lights in any way, but as long as the light isn't used to attract fish and only used as an indicator for the angler, i don't see a problem

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »

If it's a glowstick attached along the float then its bottom end is for sure submerged as well as attached to the line, and if you have 3ft(1m) to the hook then you should be fine.
 The way I see it the regulations are primarily intended against really bright lights like using your headlights or large spot lights. Those are the type of lights that can attract fish.
These methods are actually applied legally in commercial fishing for night time species in many parts of the world. They either shine monstrous spotlights into the depths or launch something like a downward underwater fireworks to illuminate a large area. Tiny glowstick isn't going to draw much attention by any fish.
Also why would they specify "1m to hook and attached to the line" instead of just saying "no lights involved in any fishing gear, period"?
Anyway, you can read it anyway you want, I dont use glowsticks but would hate to see some decent guy's day ruined by sjw's first thing in the morning.

Don't some rigs (e.g. for herring) and bottom fish use glow in the dark paint on the lure? This would be a form of artificial light and wold be "legit" as it would be submerged and within 1 m of the hook.  I don't interpret the rule as you do Tangles.  The light on the glow stick is clearly not submerged, and often the depth people fish is greater than 1 m - but I'm not going to talk about TOW methods.  I personally don't have a problem with people doing it unless they are doing this outside of the daylight hours allowed or are "ripping" at the end of every drift (didn't we already talk about river "baristas"?).  I've also not observed people using glo sticks to have any real advantage over just waiting until it's light enough to see your float.  But it is technically illegal.  Also, you refer to commercial fishing as an example which is fine.  Just remember that the rule is explicitly mentioned in the sport fishing regulations - both in the Provincial and DFO (Federal) regulations.

Just my 50 cents worth.

EDIT: you can view DFO's BC sport fishing guide on page 8 here:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFG-GPS-2016-eng.pdf

specifically, it reads that it is illegal to...

use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing except when they are
submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:22:46 AM by FlyFishin Magician »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »

EDIT: you can view DFO's BC sport fishing guide on page 8 here:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/docs/SFG-GPS-2016-eng.pdf

specifically, it reads that it is illegal to...

use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing except when they are
submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook

The wording here is way better and more clearly stated than in the freshwater regs, which I assume is trying to regulate the same thing.

I could see the argument that someone's float light isnt being used with the purpose of attracting fish, while some people tell others not to tell others not to shine headlamps into the river because it spooks fish. We probably really dont know what effect lights may or may not have in this context, so it's good to have clear wording to cover the application as opposed to the intent.

Unfortunately it's not obvious that one would have to check the tidal regs for a non-tidal water other than the fact that you happen to be fishing for salmon.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:40 PM »

Back at least 18 years ago - maybe even more now since fishing time wasn't based around sun up and sun down back then, I tried a mini 1" glow stick embedded into the top of the dink float just to see how it would work. It proved to be a complete waste of time and seemed dirty to me so after a few casts I stopped because it didn't feel right to be fishing in the dark like that. If you are fishing legal time you don't need the glow stick.

Yes you can see where your float is in the black mass ahead of you but because you're fixated on the little glow stick you don't really see the take unless it's a real solid take. The glow stick seemed to attract more fishermen as it gave them a target to cast to.

Mickey mouse gimmick - don't do it. Or try it and see what happens. I'm sure the other fishermen will quickly voice their opinions on the river whether they believe its legal or not.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 04:35:09 PM »

My recommendation - don't bother.  It's not worth it - it won't help you catch more fish in the dark, and it will aggravate other fishermen around you.  That's in addition to the fact that it is illegal - regardless of intent.

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »

Seen and have caught lots of pinks during the dark, why not a coho on scented roe?