Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using bouncing betty's  (Read 14704 times)

fishyfish

Using bouncing betty's
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »

Do you guys put the B.B on the bottom of a three way swivel or in the middle?

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Using bouncing betty's
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »

if your talking about the leader saver, with the wire leads then put it on the middle
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:24:13 PM by canso »

fishyfish

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »

Thank you for the reply Canso. I use to just  tie the main line to the  top of the  three way swivel then I think the Bouncing betty on the bottom and leader on the middle one. Never used wire leader saver. Too cheap.  It has been so long since I have gone and I am getting so old my memory sucks. I think it would make sense to have the leader on the middle part of the three way swivel. Any one else?

Jace

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 12:04:38 AM »

On a triple swivel while bb, the weight goes on the bottom, leader middle.

lovetofish

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:56:45 AM »

If you are too cheap to use a wire leader saver, try using a 6 to 10 inch piece of heavier mono off the 3 way swivel and then another barrel swivel before attaching your leader. This way the betty will be hitting on the heavier line instead of your leader.

I am too cheap to buy the wire leader savers also, but I have picked up a bunch at the river over the years, so they are what we use.

fish007

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:24:29 PM »

What kind of leader are you guys using for sockeye? I use a 25 test mono. I found 15 pound test always tangled after a few cast. Use braided line for leader is better??

lovetofish

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »

What kind of leader are you guys using for sockeye? I use a 25 test mono. I found 15 pound test always tangled after a few cast. Use braided line for leader is better??
25lb Wow.  That seems really extreme. We only use 15lb Ultragreen. We used to use 10 or 12 but it is nice to have a little more when a spring comes along.  We use the leader savers and don't really have much problem with tangled leaders. We had more tangles when using just a 3 way swivel.
I have never heard of using braided line for the leader. I think that your leader needs to be the weak point so that if you get a snag, all you lose is your leader. Just my opinion FWIW.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 06:25:50 PM »

IF I decide to go out I use atleast 30lb mono for a leader and 65lb braid for mainline, sockeye on the Fraser is a meat fishery and nothing else, it's get your fish and go home no sportsmanship there. It aches me to see guys kill their two and then catch and release for the rest of the day or the ones who take their kids and every kid from the neighborhood to keep more.  :'(

andychan

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 06:30:29 PM »

IF I decide to go out I use atleast 30lb mono for a leader and 65lb braid for mainline, sockeye on the Fraser is a meat fishery and nothing else, it's get your fish and go home no sportsmanship there. It aches me to see guys kill their two and then catch and release for the rest of the day or the ones who take their kids and every kid from the neighborhood to keep more.  :'(

ironically the guy who stays there after his two socks are caught is actually protecting the numbers of sockeye by not allowing another fisherman to take the spot, who could then kill more.

funny world, eh.

i guess it's all about perspective.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »

ironically the guy who stays there after his two socks are caught is actually protecting the numbers of sockeye by not allowing another fisherman to take the spot, who could then kill more.

funny world, eh.

I guess all the fish hooked in the body or the ones that bleed survive and make it to their sspawning grounds still? I doubt it and I don't think the numbers in that sockeye study are very accurate either.

lovetofish

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 07:45:51 PM »

IF I decide to go out I use atleast 30lb mono for a leader and 65lb braid for mainline, sockeye on the Fraser is a meat fishery and nothing else, it's get your fish and go home no sportsmanship there. It aches me to see guys kill their two and then catch and release for the rest of the day or the ones who take their kids and every kid from the neighborhood to keep more.  :'(
I find that  if you hit a big snag, it is sometimes quite difficult to even break 15lb leader.Especially if the snag has some give to it.

We used to take our kids along. They really enjoyed reeling in a salmon. To kids it is a fish and if they get to reel in a salmon sized fish, it is a big deal. Now only our 13 year old son comes along, and he has been catching his own sockeye since he was 10. He is also content to sit with the bar rod or fly fish from the boat or float tube, so he knows that bottom bouncing is not the only way to catch fish.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »

I find that  if you hit a big snag, it is sometimes quite difficult to even break 15lb leader.Especially if the snag has some give to it.

We used to take our kids along. They really enjoyed reeling in a salmon. To kids it is a fish and if they get to reel in a salmon sized fish, it is a big deal. Now only our 13 year old son comes along, and he has been catching his own sockeye since he was 10. He is also content to sit with the bar rod or fly fish from the boat or float tube, so he knows that bottom bouncing is not the only way to catch fish.
I usually pull the snag and a treasure of stuff out LOL. The bringing the kids thing I meant as in bringing a ton of kids with just so the adults can kill more fish. They never hand the rod to a kid while a fish is hooked.

BBarley

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »

funny world, eh.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. The only way that would work is if the person fishing was an arrogant *** that couldn't hook up with fish if his life depended on it. Ultimately you have to realize that the run is going to get thinned out and the numbers that make it past the gauntlet are the ones to spread the good stuff, so hopefully everyone will be having the same conversation 4 years from now.

fish007

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 10:14:27 PM »

SO what kind of hook are you guys using for Sockeye. I use 4/0. or bigger is better?
Problem is that I never get one. thx for advising

lovetofish

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »

I usually pull the snag and a treasure of stuff out LOL. The bringing the kids thing I meant as in bringing a ton of kids with just so the adults can kill more fish. They never hand the rod to a kid while a fish is hooked.
Our kids had to land their own fish.  We probably hooked the fish, but then it was up to them. I still recall one of our daughters, about 12 or 13 at the time trying to control a 19lb spring as we floated down the Fraser. She managed to bvring it to the net :).

I could have used your heavy leaders today as I had 3 fish lost to a snag in the river. LOL