Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm new to salmon/steelhead fishing...  (Read 5971 times)

mikejvr

I'm new to salmon/steelhead fishing...
« on: December 03, 2004, 12:30:02 AM »

As the subject says I am brand new to this sport and have wanted to get into it for years.  Now is the time.  After talking to a couple of friends I think I am going to get 2 different setups.  One for salmon and the other for steelhead.  I have decided to go with the Berkley IM7 rod with either a 8'6" or 9' med or med heavy (not sure yet) rod for steelhead and a Berkley IM7 8'6" heavy rod for salmon.  For my Salmon reel I am planning on getting a baitcaster, but can't decide between the Shimano Calcutta 400 or the Abu Garcia C3 5501 or 6501.  Also I am planning on getting a spinning reel for steelhead.  One friend recommended the Shimano Sedona 2000.  What do you guys think of these setups.  I want something that is going to last a while, but also don't want to go broke buying it.  Any and all recommendations and advice are greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your help.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: I'm new to salmon/steelhead fishing...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 01:02:54 AM »

i don't like to target steelhead, but for salmon this is what i think.

if you're just starting out i wouldn't invest in a calcutta, at least not yet.  they're superior in quality, but are too  expensive to use as a learning device. i would go with an ambassadeur c3 6500 series (6501 for lefties). and i would go med action not heavy, for rods. 

i use a c3 and find that for its price, its very dependable.  i like to use med heavy rods because i fish alot of fast water.  med action is less strenuous on your arms and are also strong enough to haul in 18-30 lb springs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 01:10:35 AM »

Alot of what you purchase would be dependent on your budget. Personally I would go with a medium action 10 1/2' rod and a level wind reel for both steelhead and salmon. Most of your fishing would be with a float hence my recommendation of going with a 10 1/2' rod. You can get a Shimano Convergence for around $100

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 08:32:16 AM »

Babcock's has the Convegence on sale for $89.00.  Try and find your self a combo outfit.  They are usually cheaper than buying separate.  If you have the cash for a calcutta, then save your money and buy a Abu 6500 series and buy a good rod.  A better rod will be a better investment in the long run as the Abu are proven to be worthwhile reels.  nothing wrong with a Calcutta if you want it though.  I also would not go with a spinning reel because you can't let the line drift out.  Also, you will need a second rod specifically for a spinning reel because the graphite rods have a back bone to them and the line guides are 180 deg. different on bait rods vs. spin rods.  Good luck.

mikejvr

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 01:04:46 PM »

What about Abu Garcia spiining reels?  Would they be better than a Sedona 2000?  What model?  Thanks again, every bit of information is useful.

mikejvr

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 01:59:42 PM »

I guess i'm not, that was just what one of my friends recommended down here.  I am not planning on using a floater, and will be fishing from the bank most of the time, but want something that I can use in a boat too.  Do you recommend a baitcasting reel for that?  like I said I am brand new and know nothing about it.  I was planning on getting two different set ups (probably just the steelhead for now because steelhead season is just starting) unless you guys think that I should just something that I can use for both.  Either way I just want something that is going to work well.  If it helps I actually live in Oregon and will probably be fishing the trask, Necanicum, and eventually various other rivers around the area (if any of you are familiar with this area).

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 02:11:44 PM »

Instead of getting two differant rods.Why dont you just get one rod for steelheading and salmon fishing?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 02:16:26 PM by ~IvAn~ »

mikejvr

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 02:16:04 PM »

I am still considering that.  But are there noticable advantages to have 2 seperate rods?  or does the savings out weigh that?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 02:34:18 PM »

The only reason you could justify two rods for salmon/steelheading is to have a heavy action rod for the fraser and a med action for the vedder,squamish etc.

Personally I use a med action rod with a level wind for almost all my salmon/steelheading. Although I usually carry around an ultra light trout setup to fish small spinners and spoons in smaller creeks and sloughs.
Actions speak louder than words.

mikejvr

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 04:43:13 PM »

Yes I am making sure that I know what I want before I buy it.  That is why I came here.  I wanted your opinions before I make a final decision.  Yes I was thinking about getting a medium action for steelhead and a heavy action for salmon, but like you said I am in the pondering phase.  It is only a matter of what and when I will buy.  (actually I am putting it on my christmas list too, but if I don't get it for christmas, then I am going to buy it probably this spring...or as soon as money allows)

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 05:14:06 PM »

Since I don't know the river systems you fish, my suggestion is to ask a local tackle shop for  their opinion first.  The kind of rod and reel you buy should try to target the kind of rivers you're fishing as well as the the type of fishing you're  planning on doing.  Here in Vancouver BC, most people use a 10'6" rod with a baitcaster or a centrepin setup.   These setups allow most people to fish the Fraser river (which is a pretty large and powerful river) to smaller systems such as Vedder/Chilliwack, Chehalis, Squamish, etc.  For those who have the funds, they will have a heavy action rod for the Fraser or when targeting big springs and a medium action for the smaller systems.  If you know you're into fishing for the long haul, buy the best you can afford. The Calcutta 400 is an excellent reel (I believe the 401 is left handed model).  The Abu is an okay reel and I've used mine for years without a problem.  I've got a C3 6501 but the Shimano is far smoother.  The Convergence will pair up nicely and is a very affordable quality rod.  But, as Fulcrum said before, figure out what you want to do first and talk to local fishermen as well. 
President Club S. C. & P.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 10:50:51 PM »

just keep in mind, the level wind reels allow for better distance control which is vital for river fishing.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 04:11:40 PM »

MERC was bang on...this is primarily a fraser valley fishing board.  Most people on this board live in BC and I know our American counter parts fish VERY differently.  I am not too sure our advice would be terribly applicable! 

As an example, bottom bouncing is far more common south of the boarder, a shorter rod may be more appropriate for that task.  Back trolling plugs is another common american tactic...once again a short heavy rod is good for that too. 

I have no idea how big the rivers you fish are or what you fishing method is.  Just be sure that any advice you consider is from someone who actually knows something about the type of fishing you will be doing!

In terms of gear...spend as much as you can afford.  Why learn on an abu and then decide a season or 2 later you want a calcutta!  Same with the rods, buy quality ones if you can.   Personally, I think a 400 or similar abu will be really big for an 8-9 foot rod...unless you need the line capacity a smaller reel would be better balanced.  I have a 9 foot lami with a shimano te 200 its very well balanced and is great for chuckin spinner and spoons or floating smaller rivers too.

mikejvr

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 04:29:22 PM »

Ok Thanks for the advice.  Somebody here actually referred me to another board that has also given me some great information.  Thanks guys