Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 50,364 Sockeye Caught  (Read 3608 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
50,364 Sockeye Caught
« on: December 01, 2004, 10:28:18 PM »

I along with Lew, and Rodney were at a Sportsfishing Advisory meeting tonight in Chilliwack. FOC were represented and among the items they presented was the results on the creel survey of the recreational retention of sockeye from the Mission Bridge to Hope.

Even though I do not fish sockeye I believe the figure of 50,364 may be a bit high. I would be interested hearing from others from this board if they feel this figure is accurate. Others attending the meeting thought it was way to high.

Thanks to Lew and Rodney who will representing us the Chilliwack/Vedder River Cleanup Coalition has a seat on the Upper Valley Sports Fishing Advisory Board.

As well the SDA and Chilliwack River Action Committee were also given a seat tonight..

I will let Rodney and Lew write about tonights meeting and what the SFAB is about.

PS. Frank from this board is the SFAB's new chairman.

Before the SFAB meeting Terry, Lew, Rodney, Don and myself had an CVRCC meeting and we reviewed our cleanups for 2004 and began planning for our first on in 2005.

It will be held on January the 29th, a Saturday so mark that date on your new calender.

As well thanks to all from this board that have helped make CVRCC the sucess it is and for attending our past cleanups.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 11:06:54 PM by chris gadsden »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: 50,364 Sockeye Caught
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 10:37:10 PM »

I believe that number to be very high and not likely. There are few creel surveyors? And to cover enough water and have results like that or averaged up does not sound right imho.

Chris, don't know if you saw this or not...but to do with Sockeye:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=5734
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 10:38:44 PM by Trout Slayer »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 10:44:14 PM »

Trout slayer thanks for that. As you know I have been off the board for a while so missed seeing it.

With your permission I would like to take a copy of the letter along for reference to the Standing Committee meeting in Vancouver on Friday that we will be attending.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 10:46:49 PM »

Sounds good, I will forward the email towards you.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 08:29:16 AM »

Too high I think.  This was not the best year for sockeye and they should know this if they look at the counts that went past mission.  I'd like to know how they do their estimates.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 11:42:49 AM »

Even if the numbers are correct, they are miniscule compared to the commercial and native food fishery.