Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Standing Committee On Fisheries Re Fraser River Fishing 2004 Sockeye Season  (Read 3914 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Received a call late last week from Ottawa to attend the Federal Government's Standing Commitee's On Fisheries meeting in Vancouver later this week.

Apparently a number of us including Bill Otway will be presenting our observations and answering questions from this group of MP'S about the illegal fishing that went on this year on the Fraser River.

I understand 10 members of Parliament from all 4 Federal Government parties sit on this standing committee so should be an interesting session.

I imagine this is a spin off from the SDA organized protests and meetings with Fisheries Minister Regan these past few months. So it looks like all these efforts and including the letter writing done by a number of people from this board may be paying off.

Will give report later how it goes.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 10:18:25 AM by chris gadsden »

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re: Standing Committee On Fisheries
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 06:50:13 AM »

Give em hell, we're lucky to have you guys as spokesmen for the cause.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions

My 6 letters did good :o  Go get'em Chris!

Nostro

Welcome back, Chris.
You and Bill are excellent ambassadors for this vital resource. We'll be rooting for you guys. If you need any help to prepare, please do not hesitate to call.
Tell it like it is, Chris.
Never look a fish in the eye.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Go to http://www.theprogress.com/ for a story on this subject.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Has anyone seen on TV or heard on radio any coverage on the standing comitteee meetings that started today.

Apparently there was some coverage on CKNW that Fulcrum informed me of.

Any reports that board members heard of what was said on these reports would be appreciated.

blueback

I heard the CKNW report this AM but it was just a news item suggesting the committee will be considering all angles in attempting to determine the fate of the sockeye, and are not invested in pursuing any one theory (ie.- lax enforncement or high water temps), in particular. I personally hope that they look deeply into lack of enforcement and illegal harvest (especially the netting at night), in order to  restore a modicum of hope that our national gov.'s apparatti are able to do anything at all productive. I guess at this point I'm a little jaded. Hope this is useful Chris.   

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Philip Till had Phil Eidsvik on for a few minutes this afternoon. Phil wants all the witnesses to testify under oath. If they are later found to be lying, they will be charged with perjury

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Thanks to both the above for their comments.

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions

I heard today that the Sierra club and some others have pulled out.  I guess that's their way of showing concern...don't show.  What a bunch of whiners.  You never get anything done when you act like spoiled little children when you don't get your way.  To the Sierra Club et.al... get a grip and stop whining.  Thanks to all the people and groups that did show up to participate and make a difference.