Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: next years pinks...  (Read 18904 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: next years pinks...
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2004, 08:29:07 PM »

Yeh for sure but there lots of dyke!!

yah, but there's no shortage of meat hunters either ::)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2004, 10:22:38 PM »

oh yeh meat hunters!! lol

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2004, 10:28:46 PM »

the good thing about pinks, is that they help, to take some of the pressure off, of the other species of salmon.  at least where the meat hunters are concerned ::)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 10:32:12 PM by blaydRnr »

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 10:30:40 PM »

BlaydRnr where abouts in richmond do u live??

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2004, 10:34:04 PM »

BlaydRnr where abouts in richmond do u live??

south side :)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2004, 10:36:33 PM »

We should meet up and do some fishing i live on williams and railway

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2004, 10:46:05 PM »

We should meet up and do some fishing i live on williams and railway

sounds good, but i'm pretty much done this season. i'll definitely keep that in mind next spring.

you're only five minutes away. i live the 3 and steveston area. ;)

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 10:53:51 PM »

sounds good just drop me a pm anytime!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2004, 11:27:40 PM »

Shh, quit exposing the secret! That stretch between No. 3 Road and No. 2 Road can only cater about 500 anglers! ;D

I don't know why I didn't take photos last year when it was really festive. Oh ya! I was too busy offering FA some charity fish! ;D :-* I must admit though, he does have some good days. There was one day when everyone else including us came up empty handed while he almost limited out by tossing 50 feet further than others. :)

Not much happening down there right now, not until April anyways. When the time comes I'll show you where those big bull trout are five minutes from your house. ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2004, 11:29:35 PM »

I hate pink years.  Too damn many of the little buggers.  They always sit in coho water and are more agressive too!  lol.  I plan on getting a nice light weight spinning rod this summer and going for pinks in the fall in the fraser, vedder, harrison, etc for them.  Don't plan on keeping any, just C&R on light tackle ;D i don't like the flesh of pink salmon, always too mushy.   
They sit in all water last year I would almost cast into every type of water ad couldnt get rid of the buggers.

No ncessarily true, but most will make you believe that. Last year we were getting into coho in September while pinks were stacking upstream and other places around us, but not the stretch where we were fishing. Hard to find of course, lots of walking will reward you in the end.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2004, 11:50:05 PM »

Shh, quit exposing the secret! That stretch between No. 3 Road and No. 2 Road can only cater about 500 anglers! ;D

I don't know why I didn't take photos last year when it was really festive. Oh ya! I was too busy offering FA some charity fish!   

i actually watched the festivities.  i got a kick out of watching newbies hooking into pinks. its nice to see people appreciating them...unlike some of us who've become spoiled.

i also enjoyed giving some pointers to those who wanted to listen. the only down side, was some people weren't following regulations and some were trying to keep more than they were entitled to....that worries me :(

some of my brother's buddies fished for them on the fly. i took a pass on fishing for them.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »

Despite the festive atmosphere, it was surprisingly civil! I think a lot of people drove by, saw people fishing, and went to Canadian Tires and bought some stuff to try out their luck too. These were the ones who did not have any idea regarding fishing licenses and regulations. We informed a few and they quickly went to buy one before returning to receive more pointers. Quite a few people were using treble hooks, and they were also surprised that those were prohibited. They quickly changed up after being informed. People were well behaved, friendly, and social! :)

There was only one occasion during the entire season that got me going pretty good. After the crowd left towards the end of the day (on September 5th, the first day I started hitting them crazy on my own in the afternoon and phoning all the buds at work to get down there and enjoy the fishing with me. They showed up soon after around 3pm, so did many others who drove by :) ), two individuals showed up. These two were definitely locals, based on their dress code and speech. They immediately headed to the shore and proceeded to cast the line out with two bare trebles attached above the weight. Quite a display in an open area with joggers, walkers etc walking by. They ripped and ripped after each cast. They knew exactly what they were after. Fortunately, the bulk of the run that day had passed. ;) A phone call to the men in uniform did not produce result, as it was almost 8pm.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2004, 12:10:15 AM »

I don't know why I didn't take photos last year when it was really festive. Oh ya! I was too busy offering FA some charity fish! ;D :-* I must admit though, he does have some good days. There was one day when everyone else including us came up empty handed while he almost limited out by tossing 50 feet further than others. :)

Not much happening down there right now, not until April anyways. When the time comes I'll show you where those big bull trout are five minutes from your house. ;)

Offering me charity fish ? What the heck have you been smoking Rod ? Whatever it is that you are smoking or drinking you better stop or it will kill you. I remember that day well. According to my log, it was Sept. 9 I hooked over 20 pinks that day casting Zzingers while you locals were staring with your tongues hanging out your mouth. You will recall I was offering YOU a fish but I guess you were too proud to accept it in front of your friends.  ;D :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2004, 12:19:39 AM »

Hmm... I think your memory needs some refreshment. That was Steelhead King, as he continued to praise how well you were doing that day... ;) BUT! On September 11th, after my brief success at North Arm, I came down to No. 3 Road pier to see how you were doing. You reported a very slow day and the tide was already going out strong. I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a go anyways. I took out my homemade spoon, and one willing pink fell for it ten feet from shore after ten casts or so. I remember those envious eyes staring at me as I proceeded to net the fish. ;D Do you also remember... after about 3 or 4 fish, the older Chinese gentleman was getting rather frustrated just downstream from us and came up to see what I was using. He bought one of my homemade spoons and got into one fish few minutes later. He lost that fish as he decided to lift it instead of using his net. ::) That fish came off the hook and tumbled straight into the drink as we gasped. Not to worry of course, as he soon hooked into two more fish, which I netted for him. You then pulled out the spoon you bought from me a day or two before that and started to spin with it. The result was not as successful as the older gentleman. ;) You then started going on about that I sold you a defective spoon...... ::) ;D

I think a pink derby is needed in 2005. ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2004, 12:26:56 AM »

You do have a vivid imagination Rodney ! Obviously Steelhead King knows a master at work when he sees one ! ;D Interesting you neglected to tell us about the sockeye you hooked that day ! A pink derby is definitely in order in 2005 !
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 12:30:36 AM by Fish Assassin »