Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: next years pinks...  (Read 18906 times)

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
next years pinks...
« on: November 29, 2004, 08:26:19 AM »

I want to take my son out for pinks next year...never done it before...we will be using light spinning gear...what is the best lure etc to use and being from Langley what area is good to target?

Thanks ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: next years pinks...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 08:39:20 AM »

They say "pink for Pink", but they seemd to take everything while I was targetting Coho last year in the vedder.  Was chucking, wool and blades.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 11:04:36 AM »

Does anyone here like eating pinks?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 11:07:28 AM »

1/2 oz. pink Zzingers. Anything pink will catch them.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 11:26:30 AM »

My dad is already stoked for the pinks. Little pink spoons will get them in the rivers, as well as pink flies (I get them on pink/purple popsicle flies). The Harrison river from Kilby to the Fraser mouth can be quite productive, we were able to get into quite a few last season. The mouth of the Fraser can also be quite good at times.

If you're looking to that salt, I got my first salmon a few years ago on a big pink buzz-bomb. I was fishing in Cates Park in North Vancouver, it's a pretty good spot if you get it at the right time of the season.

My parents actually really like eating pinks, it was from the ocean, and had been frozen for 1-2 days, I was suprised considering what I've heard about pinks not keeping well. It was done on the BBQ, and we had a few people over, they all seemed to like it.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 12:11:54 PM »

they are great smoked

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 12:43:19 PM »

if the pinks are there, your son should have a hoot.

on  the fraser,  a tuft of yarn the size of your thumbnail should do the trick (pinks seem to respond to the bigger size, unlike on the vedder where smaller is better).  if you use pink, you have a better chance of hooking onto more doe's.  if you go darker, you're more likely to hook onto humpies (a big pain in the my friend).

i don't usually target the pinks, but i will keep a doe or two for roe.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 01:06:48 PM »

So far most have been giving information on pink fishing in the freshwater. I would only focus the effort on saltwater pinks as they are strong, fresh, very willing to bite and excellent for eating.

Peak time in tidal Fraser starts from around September 5th (Richmond... so maybe September 6th in Langley. No kidding, I fish for pinks hard starting late August and the last three seasons September 5th is always the first day I bump into them in Richmond, Delta, New West).

For the spinning setup: Rod, I would go with something that is rated between 4 and 10lb test. The spinning reel, get a Shimano in the 2500 or 3500 series. Don't get a rear drag one, a front drag will still be intact after 200 fish in two weeks. :) My recommendation: Shimano Sonora 2500FA. Line should be Maxima Ultragreen 8lb test, strong yet light enough and handle abrasion pretty well.  Lighter setup is fine too, but I find it puts too much stress on the gear (especially expensive light setups...) after so many fish.

Lures: Anything works really. Gibbs 1/4 or 1/8 Crocs in pink, green, orange, yellow, red... Spinners, Blue Fox if you want to spend the big bucks. My spoons if you want to go cheap. ;) FA's Zinger sounds good too, exccept he fishes differently to the rest of spin guys. He casts with his baitcasting setup and jigs it back. It works well if the fish are really far out as he can cast further than others with the solid lure. Most of the time is unnecessary, as fish are 20, 30 feet from shore.

Technique: Cast and retrieve. The lure does not necessarily have to be on the bottom. Many times the pinks will "nibble" on the lure as the fish follows it back to shore. When nibbles take place, continue to reel in and most of the time a solid strike will take place soon after. Don't lift your lure out of the water too soon as many times the fish will strike right by your feet.

Two hours before incoming tide to peak tide is prime time, but there are excepetions. Many times I find they will actually sneak in the river when the water is at its lowest.

Locations: Not sure about Langley, but they should be passing through Derby Reach too. In Richmond, Delta, Surrey etc, anywhere along River Road will produce fish. Don't fish areas where strong current exists. Find spots where the water is sluggish right by the main channel.

For freshwater, drifting a pink worm under the float in main flow will get you into many fish. For the Fraser, if you find some sluggish water, chuck a spoon or a pink marabou jig and be prepare to get a pair of sore arms. To avoid pinks when fishing for coho in the Vedder, simply fish shallower with bait.

For eating, ocean fresh fish are fantastic for the BBQ. I would think they are good when smoked too. I don't bother with any freshwater pinks, saving my quota for the hatchery coho if I am going that far.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:05:10 PM »

For eating, ocean fresh fish are fantastic for the BBQ. I would think they are good when smoked too. I don't bother with any freshwater pinks, saving my quota for the hatchery coho if I am going that far.

agreed. nice not to always have to drive 100 kms to get to a good fishing hole ;)  especially for better quality salmon. :)

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 05:43:02 PM »

ohhh...goodie goodie....I am already looking forward to pink season!
You don't make friends with salad.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 06:21:06 PM »

We had a blast last year in the Maple Ridge area using copper spoons, also one vote for the Shimano rear drag, as well as the fancy ones Ive got an old third hand one thats never ever let me down.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 06:41:43 PM »

Don't buy the pink for Pinks line; while it works under some condtions, Pinks can be selective. Just ask anyone who has fished them in the Harrison. "I Said Fished Them, Not Snagged Them." Your best to get a local updated at your tackle shop before you go.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 07:11:33 PM »

I float fish for them at Gary Point using a pink spin'n glow wow do they ever bite hard!! :o cant wait

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 07:49:24 PM »

I float fish for them at Gary Point using a pink spin'n glow wow do they ever bite hard!! :o cant wait

i've lived in richmond practically all my life.  i don't think, i've ever seen so many people target the pinks, as much as in 2003.

now that the word is out, richmond's dykes are going to be a zoo. :P

DaN ThE MaN

• Old Timer
  • Darn she got away!!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 08:05:31 PM »

Yeh for sure but there lots of dyke!!