Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder steelhead  (Read 7592 times)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
Vedder steelhead
« on: November 28, 2004, 11:07:34 PM »

Just a note to let everyone know - Berry's bait and tackle is reporting that some steelhead have been caught on the Vedder already. Not surprising but don't expect lots cuz its just a few around early.
Fish on!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder steelhead
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 11:15:20 PM »

Expected when the Springs and Chummies are gone and buisness is slow. ::)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 11:21:59 PM »

ya, of course. Drumming up bussiness.
Fish on!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 12:30:47 AM »

Any day now Fred's Tackle will be reporting that steelheads are throughout the system  ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 08:50:00 AM »

Oh sure the river is up a little with a bit of colour but you can still hook a steelhead if you carefully cast between the drifting debris. Typical for Fred's. ::)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 10:01:21 AM »

I don't like slagging a business in a pblic forum on an issue like this. That is, fishing can be so hit or miss; but I too feel like Freds BS's way too much on their fishing reports.

I took a day off work last season based on a freds report.  Next day I saw nothing all frickin day.  called freds from home that night and they made it sound like gang busters!  :-X

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 11:06:19 AM »

or near...

Lew Chater

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 11:13:23 AM »

After reading comments here, went to look at the Vedder and then in to Freds to hear their report. The Vedder is still high but with visibility of about 18 " in the lower river but clearer in the top section. Some new runs will have been carved out with the last high water. Talked to Peter at Freds who I know well and have worked with. He is a very knowledgeable fisherman and spends a lot of time helping new and old hands at the fishing game. They have heard of one wild fish (steelhead) a couple of weeks ago before the high water and are certainly not saying the river is  full of fish. They could be there but hardly any fishermen out as the water in the last week has been out.
Freds and most shops try to give accurate reports but they are just that, "reports". They know that it doesn't do their business any good in the long run to B.S. reports because  most regular fishers know generally what is happening and they get bad feedback from that. Also the staff at these shops actually spend  hours on the phone repeating over and over for you, river conditions, catch reports ,, what they are taking etc. This is done quite often with 5 customers standing waiting to be served.
As most fishers know, a report that is good for the morning can be totally different from afternoon or from one day to the next. After all it is called "fishing" and that doesn't always mean "catching".
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 12:20:27 PM »

A friend of mine was out last week on the Vedder and caught a steelhead so I believe them. Why would they BS? The have been in business for years so they are not about to make up stories otherwise they would not get repeat business.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 12:58:05 PM »

let's just say, they like to exaggerate ::)

you never hear them say...
 "ya fishing is really slow, i think one guy managed to hook onto a fish 2 weeks ago"

what you hear is....
"oh they're there alright. its just a matter of finding the right spot. just the other day, a guy hooked onto a few, but he only managed to land one"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »

Who actually follows reports during steelhead seasons? When friends come back and report a catch of a couple of steelhead, I am happy for them but I don't raise my eye brows. Good steelhead reports do not guarantee a good steelhead outing...

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 04:29:24 PM »

I don't find that High water puts out exagerated reports especially compared to freds.  Speaking of exagerating, anyone heard how the later run of coho on the cap is doing???  Any of those 15+ lb fish in yet?!?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 04:34:24 PM »

;D ;D

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 07:48:03 PM »

The guy at highwater has always been straight with me. Excellent tips, and really approachable...unlike old Seymour Tackle guy. Man....talk about crusty.

You don't make friends with salad.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 08:27:40 PM »

The guy at highwater has always been straight with me. Excellent tips, and really approachable...unlike old Seymour Tackle guy. Man....talk about crusty.

You mean old Bob ? His bark is bigger than his bite. He used to be a Cap regular.