Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Islander Searun  (Read 18834 times)

ribolovac02

Re: New Islander Searun
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »

I played with one today,I usually fish the IS so here are the obiovous differences,first the bearing is much more silent then the IS,spins the same(meaning smoothness) but longer,handels are closer to the center and plastic,I was holding both in my hands IS and Searun they seem to be the same size,exep maybe 1/16 on inch the searun is thinner,but the back of the new searun where the clicker is now positioned seemed to be thicker which makes it heavier I think and leaving the space for line to be substantionally smaller compared to the IS, but again the clicker on the searun might be more handy,and the face is slightly different,position of the holes etc..

Every thing I wrote are my own observations by eye and feel nothing is a facts,but i dought that i'm wrong at anything ;D

BTW I was told there is plenty, so its a fact that there is not just a certain number made.

My personal opinion,same reel as the IS exept 100 some bucks more LOL,was thinking of upgrading but nadda.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 10:49:27 PM »

I run both the IS and now the Searun and alot of others.
I'll let you know how it does.
There are lots of differences between the them.
The Searun is a different ride for the enthusiast.
I'm looking at both right now.
But It's so smooth it must catch fish ;D
Poor little fishies ;)
Gotta go tie up 8)
Rando
The Fishin Musician

chromer

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »

I had one in my hand this morning, beautiful reel. I have an IS and the Sea Run is a very sweet reel, not sure about the $525.00 price tag though. It measures 4.3" vs. 4.5" and the spool is narrower so you don't need a ton of backing. The clicker is in a nice psition but now there are right and left hand reels due to this and the clicker is not really meant to be on when you're fighting a fish unless you want everyone to know its fish on.

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »

The reel worked awsome today.
Coho on my 1st cast to break it in.
Followed by another dozen over the next few hrs.
Runs very smooth and 4 of my fishing buddies already bought theirs.
3 of us running them on 2106 Sages,which is very sweet.
I would recommend one to everybody.
You can get them for $500 tax in if you barter.
Put one on your christmas list if you can ;)
The Fishin Musician

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »

There will be 80 rightys and 20 leftys made, so even fewer than was posted above. The serial numbering starts at 100, so numero uno is #100. I got lucky and had a chance to fish a proto-type with a friend and it was a sweet reel. It did have a slight spool wobble that affected casting and was un-anodized but other than that it fished very nicely. That was fixed for the production reels. The productions reels are great too (didn't fish one but my friend with the proto has a production reel now) but seems to have a big gap between the spool and back plate. Much bigger than the proto had. Might be a problem with line slipping in behind. Very nice reel none the less and if I had some extra cash right now I would jump on one.

2 mintues of spinning eh?! Get all the grease out of the bearings with lighter fluid (grease packed bearings) and replace it with sewing machine oil and it will likely spin for four minutes!

Randofish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »

Hi Zach,You must have some insider info.
I got a left #262 which still doesn't add up to me if there's only 100.
I don't know about the numbering system except what I've heard from where I bought it.

Fin,sorry I missed ya,you a friend of the welshmans?
The Fishin Musician

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »

Hmmmm looks like I DID have some insider info but it must have changed.  :o I haven't been talking with my friend who is Islander pro-staff since mid October so things must have changed since then? Maybe they did have high demand and put out a second run...?

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:08 AM »

This would also change the collect-ability aspect if there are now more reels out there in circulation.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »

Hey,get outta my spot. ;D ;)

ratchet

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »

I've got an Islander, and enjoy it but I don't like the weak ratchet,or the fact that these reels click on the retrieve with a fish on.
likely these new ones are the same I'm guessing?
if I could get it converted to work like a Silex with the clicker only on when the line is pulled out I would.
I still like the old Silex best,guess I'm old fashioned,the things are tough tho,and they growl like nothing else when you got a nice one smokin down the river!
But the smoothness of the bearings (Islander)is awesome tho,and I know you can get the new silicon bearings for the old Islanders and they are supposed to be way better.
as far as distance casting goes I think the greatest limiting factor here is the tackle, lkely you have a float,so if you've got lots of lead to get it out there you'll need a big float,those fat dink floats don't fly very good and you'll be needing lotsa brake action to stop the over-run, I used to make floats out of cedar,they were more streamlined and heavier,so they fly alot better if you need that extra distance,but it was a real downer when they ended up in the branches!

........is there many Silex guys left out there?  (don't worry boys,I can take a hit)

....I don't care if it's a Ford or Chevy,as lond as it get's me to the river.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 12:21:15 PM »

I've got an Islander, and enjoy it but I don't like the weak ratchet,or the fact that these reels click on the retrieve with a fish on.
if I could get it converted to work like a Silex with the clicker only on when the line is pulled out I would.
I still like the old Silex best,guess I'm old fashioned,the things are tough tho,and they growl like nothing else when you got a nice one smokin down the river!
But the smoothness of the bearings (Islander)is awesome tho,and I know you can get the new silicon bearings for the old Islanders and they are supposed to be way better.
as far as distance casting goes I think the greatest limiting factor here is the tackle, lkely you have a float,so if you've got lots of lead to get it out there you'll need a big float,those fat dink floats don't fly very good and you'll be needing lotsa brake action to stop the over-run, I used to make floats out of cedar,they were more streamlined and heavier,so they fly alot better if you need that extra distance,but it was a real downer when they ended up in the branches!

........is there many Silex guys left out there?  (don't worry boys,I can take a hit)

If you could find me a left handed Silex, I'd trade in my Islander in a second. Nothing like ol' school IMO

n8

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »

I don't think Hardy ever made a left handed Silex.. Looks like it's going to be a left handed Talisman for you! and I'm not that old, but I like old school stuff as well. I still love to use my dad's Silex.

mepps

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 09:56:35 AM »

Hey guys,
I got the fifth one off the line, the only problem being it had a wobble to it when you spun it.
I sent it back to Islander and was told it was probably just the bearing, so they replaced it and sent it back. It seems a little better, but still does wobble slightly.
Any of you Sea Run owners notice a wobble? I know a few other guys who have.
Pretty sad considering all the other Islanders I own are flawless including the origional Sea Run.
I wonder if I should make due or send it back again.

work2fish

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »

........is there many Silex guys left out there?  (don't worry boys,I can take a hit)

The rachet's not a drag, it's just there to stop the spool from free spinning when you take your hand off the reel and can be turned off so you don't hear it when fighting a fish, unless you want to leave it on to let everyone know you're on something.  The only time mine is on is when I'm not fishing, moving locations, changing leaders etc.

If you're finding distance to be an issue, it's not a tackle issue, it's probably a casting issue, or you're fishing a rod that's too stiff to load. I used to need a big 35 gram float to get the same distance I can now with an 11gram, and it was all due to technique. Luckily I have a few great teachers that showed me what I was doing wrong, and lots of practice., or worst case if you're leaving the rachet on while casting....

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:55 PM »

Hey guys,
I got the fifth one off the line, the only problem being it had a wobble to it when you spun it.
I sent it back to Islander and was told it was probably just the bearing, so they replaced it and sent it back. It seems a little better, but still does wobble slightly.
Any of you Sea Run owners notice a wobble? I know a few other guys who have.
Pretty sad considering all the other Islanders I own are flawless including the origional Sea Run.
I wonder if I should make due or send it back again.

Send it back again, when you pay for something that cost that much, it should be flawless, no if's and's or but's. I'd tell them you want a totally new reel, I'd demand it, pronto !!!