Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: all purpose river rod and reel  (Read 7471 times)

Silver

all purpose river rod and reel
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:48:33 AM »

For fishing the chilliwack, vedder, capilano and Fraser, I want a mid quality set up.
I purchased a Abu 6500 pro rocket this season to replace my Chinese 7000 for bouncing. The new reel is a little under powered and too nice for this purpose. I like this reel and want to pair it with a Trophy XL power 2, for real fishing. Is this a good choice for my needs? I like round level winds and the 6500 size. I have read that people use between 9-12 foot rods for the areas I have mentioned, so I figure the 10'6'' length would be perfectly in between. Yes? Also, I really like braid for the lack of stretch and ability to break off snags. Do I need to change to mono? If so, what lb test? Will this package perform well for spinning, float, drifting, etc?
I sent in my 7000 for service, and will keep it with my 11foot Fenwick for Bar fishing and sockeye bouncing.

kevzabob

Re: all purpose river rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

Level wind reel- 15 lb test. The more you spend better quality.
I have the Shimano 400b, and a 10'6" rod works
Well.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 03:00:43 PM »

For small to medium sized systems like the Vedder, Capilano, or Stave, consider using a smaller size reel like a 5500 Abu C3, Calcutta 200, or Luna 253. A 6000 series abu, or 400 Calcutta, although addquate, is too large for these systems in my experience. Consider that you should be using light line and leader with small weights. Just a suggestion...

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »

The Abu 6500 with a 10.5ft rod is a good combo for larger fish such as Chinook on the Vedder and Chum.
I use a 6500 C3 for both of these types of fishing and for Sockeye.

For Coho, you may want to use a smaller spinning rod setup.
For many years, I carried 2 rods on the Vedder - my Trophy/6500 & a 7ft spinning rod.
The spinning rod is much better for flipping metal (spoons & spinners).
You usually don't need a huge cast but need to be precise.

In the last few years, I have switched over to a fly rod for Coho - so I still carry 2 rods.

Braid is good for all types of fishing (except Steelhead - ices up).
30lb+ for Chinook and Chum - smaller (15lb) for Coho & pinks.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

For small to medium sized systems like the Vedder, Capilano, or Stave, consider using a smaller size reel like a 5500 Abu C3, Calcutta 200, or Luna 253. A 6000 series abu, or 400 Calcutta, although addquate, is too large for these systems in my experience. Consider that you should be using light line and leader with small weights. Just a suggestion...

I should clarify that I use this setup for coho and steelhead, as I don't normally target Fall chum and springs in the Vedder.  Hooking the odd chum or spring has not been a problem with this set up though. The calcutta 200 or Luna 253 is a sweet set up on a sage 2106. :)

Silver

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »

OK, these responses are helpfull...a couple of things though,

I will purchase a Trophy to pair with my ABU 6500 for bigger salmon and rivers, why not go longer than 10.5'? I believe the one I had in mind was the longer one. Sage rods are totally out of my budget and desire for this phase of my fishing career.

Also, I will need to get a spinning combo. What is a good intermediate rod/reel combo? I have an aversion  to spinning...dont know why. However, when I watched Rod spinning for pinks, I liked how effortless it looked, and how casts are easily repeated.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:31:19 PM by Silver »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

Shimano Clarus CSS96ML2B 9' rated 6-10lb is my favourite spinning rod right now for salmon. I use a Shimano Sustain 2500 with it (but you can use any other good spinning reel in that size class, Shimano Sahara 2500 is another good one).

fishtruck

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 04:27:16 PM »

I asked that same question last year on this forum. Got many great tips and insight. Took Rod's advise and got the Clarus and Sahara. Love the combo

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 01:49:05 PM »

Great! :) Last fall I was using that above mentioned Clarus on the Fraser where current is moderate or absent. I used a Clarus CSS86M2B 8'6" 8-12lb test for the Chilliwack River because it is a faster action rod to counter the stronger current. I found that it was not really necessary for coho salmon, but if chum salmon are present than it's a good idea to have it in case you hook one. This year I've gone back to the CSS96ML2B for the Chilliwack River so will see how it performs when/if coho salmon fishing picks up.

Back to the original question regarding an all purpose baitcasting setup. I pretty much only use a 10'6" 8-12lb rod with a low profile baitcasting reel like a Shimano Chronarch or Curado, spooled with 12lb test Maxima Ultragreen mono. I don't fish the Fraser River for chinook and sockeye salmon, so this setup works for me on all of the other systems in the Lower Mainland. I also have a 9' 8-12lb Clarus baitcasting rod which I use for float fishing at times but also for casting spoons.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 08:03:19 PM »

rod is your rod 9ft or 9ft 6in.  the css96ml2b is 9.6
(Shimano Clarus CSS96ML2B 9' rated 6-10lb is my favourite spinning rod right now for salmon)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 01:18:37 AM »

Sorry, it's the CSS90ML2B I have.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »

Sorry, it's the CSS90ML2B I have.

Pretty light rating on that rod, have you caught Vedder winter run steel with it?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »

I've never used it for steelhead, but it should be ok. It also has a lot to do with the type of water where I prefer to fish. I pretty much only spend my time in the slower runs so fighting the current is not an issue.

vandenhooff

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 04:54:14 PM »

For fishing the chilliwack, vedder, capilano and Fraser, I want a mid quality set up.
I purchased a Abu 6500 pro rocket this season to replace my Chinese 7000 for bouncing. The new reel is a little under powered and too nice for this purpose. I like this reel and want to pair it with a Trophy XL power 2, for real fishing. Is this a good choice for my needs?

Your ABU Abu 6500 pro rocket is a very good, and very popular reel for all salmon fishing. I see a lot of guy using them. Not sure why you feel it's "a little under powered". Pair it with a good rod, like a X113 MCP Lamiglas (Fed's may have one - hard to find) and you have a really nice setup. My buddy uses the exact same set up.