Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rant - New PST rules on Used Vehicles - BC Tax Grab  (Read 9014 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Rant - New PST rules on Used Vehicles - BC Tax Grab
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2023, 11:21:26 AM »

are you guys still arguing with the accountant lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2023, 11:38:06 AM »

There you go again changing the subject and sidestepping the issue at hand. I never implied for a second that JT had anything to do with the PST. You are more like him then you realize. Always trying to deflect negative attention...which is what you did there.

Unlike JT I was not a drama teacher, nor am I a drama queen like you.

BTW you brought his name into the discussion, not me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 11:55:12 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2023, 05:17:07 PM »

It's pretty clear superbobby doesn't mean anything he says and is using this thread to demonstrate his fealty to the Conservatives.  A partisan hack, plain and simple.

Now back to fishing.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2023, 10:11:04 PM »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2023, 08:22:13 AM »

The cabin fever is strong this year ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2023, 08:26:04 PM »

I think this was a good discussion with a vigorous exchange of opinions. People were very well behaved for the most part. Some people have very strong opinions and from time to time let their passions run away with them. But then me and one other person have a history that goes beyond 20 years. There is obviously a clash there. The amendment on determining used vehicle values for tax purposes does have the potential to negatively effect some people who buy a vehicle in good faith at an apparent bargain. That's got to be acknowledged. Sometimes sales value may be 'under reported' but that's no reason to throw out the baby with the bath water.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:17:28 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2023, 07:21:27 PM »

There have been a number of significant turning points in the course of human history...

What if Hitler didn't invade the Soviet Union in 1941. Maybe Germany would have won the war.

What if Obama didn't publically mock Trump at a 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner. Maybe Trump wouldn't have run for the US presidency.

But then me and one other person have a history that goes beyond 20 years. There is obviously a clash there.
What if you had of acknowledged that there weren't sockeye in Maria Slough... :)

Phronesis

« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2023, 09:48:43 PM »

There have been a number of significant turning points in the course of human history...

What if Hitler didn't invade the Soviet Union in 1941. Maybe Germany would have won the war.

What if Obama didn't publically mock Trump at a 2011 White House Correspondents Dinner. Maybe Trump wouldn't have run for the US presidency.
What if you had of acknowledged that there weren't sockeye in Maria Slough... :)

Hahah....I dont know the history, but this made me laugh :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »

I suppose that if a butterfly had flapped its wings close to the Soviet Embassy in East Berlin at about the same time, Russia may not have invaded the Ukraine.

but I don't have to acknowledge anything;

Fish Stocks

Historically, Maria Slough and its tributaries supported populations of sockeye, coho, chum, pink and chinook salmon. Maria Slough supports a unique red chinook population. Chinook broodstock are collected 2.5 km upstream of the highway for the Inches Creek Hatchery. Recently, the only species reported in Hicks Creek have been coho and chum. Hicks Creek is a satellite of the Chehalis Hatchery.

Lower Fraser Valley Streams Strategic Review Vol 1. 1999 pg.3-338

Fraser River Action Plan
Habitat and Enhnacement Branch
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 05:21:17 PM by RalphH »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2023, 10:17:32 AM »

Just to put things to rest about the sockeye in Maria Slough.

https://youtu.be/0bGrgJr9JgE

Clearly, this is a sockeye from Maria Slough.  Case closed.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2023, 10:46:24 AM »

Just to put things to rest about the sockeye in Maria Slough.

https://youtu.be/0bGrgJr9JgE

Clearly, this is a sockeye from Maria Slough.  Case closed.

🤣

I'm not sure where the sockeye in Maria Slough discussion came from, but I was actually just looking at a fish trap report from the mid 80s from there not long ago. Here is a screenshot of it. Check out the dates of coho spawn timing.

Anyway, I can split the topic a bit later if the sockeye discussion continues. I actually haven't really anything in this thread, just thought I'd throw up that last image for fun lol...

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2023, 02:08:37 PM »

🤣

Anyway, I can split the topic a bit later if the sockeye discussion continues. I actually haven't really anything in this thread, just thought I'd throw up that last image for fun lol...

what about the butterfly?

SuperBobby

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2023, 01:57:50 PM »

I found an interesting story that is worth rehashing this topic

The full story is here:
https://globalnews.ca/news/9724277/bc-pst-used-vehicle-private-sale/

I want to highlight one paragraph that just floored me.

"According to B.C.’s tax rules, if the appraised value of the vehicle is lower than the average wholesale value – the greater amount of the appraised value and the purchase price are used to calculate PST"

So what that is saying and in the case of the guy in THIS story......even if you pay for an appraisal that proves it's worth less....ICBC still makes you bend over to take it up the you know what.
I stand by what I said before. This is corrupted to the point of unbelief and is beyond me how ICBC gets away with this.

Edit: It was refreshing to actually see the Mainstream News cover this story. Doesn't happen much anymore.....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 02:00:15 PM by SuperBobby »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2023, 11:01:56 PM »

I suggest that you are misunderstanding.

If you read the Provincial Sales Tax Act (I provided the link earlier) or this notice from ICBC https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/notice-2022-005-pst-on-motor-vehicles-purchased-at-private-sales-or-imported-from-outside-canada.pdf it all makes perfect sense.

It’s not corrupt, nor is it sodomy.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2023, 10:08:00 AM »

First, this has got nothing to do with ICBC other than ICBC administers vehicle transfers and collects the tax. The Ministry of finance for BC sets the tax and the regulations.

Second, no it's not corrupt, at least not on the face of it. The bigger question is it fair or equitable. At least in the sense the regulation is set so that people who buy cars in private sales can't escape taxes that people who buy at a public retailer have to pay it's fair. Is it fair to the guy who paid more than the 'average' price' for that vehicle. Since he bought the car I guess it is fair. He wanted the car more than the average buyer.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 01:45:51 PM by RalphH »