Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question for anyone familiar with portable outboards..  (Read 3124 times)

Zackattack

Question for anyone familiar with portable outboards..
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:30:53 PM »

So I've used plenty of outboards before but never one with a built in fuel tank.
I recently picked up a mint 2011 4stroke merc, runs great, but when turning it off I ideally want to burn any fuel left in the carb so I turn the fuel valve off to cut any fuel from the portable tank, problem is the motor just continues to run and run! It appears the fuel valve is open whether or not it is in the open or closed position..
Of course I can still shutoff the motor with the kill button, but that means theres still leftover gas in the carb. I suspected the fuel valve wasnt closing, so I lay the motor down the correct way to transport and I expected fuel to spill out of the carb if that valve was indeed still open but no fuel spilt at all..
I'm very confused what is going on..
Anyone else familiar with these outboards?
I may just run the portable tank dry and get an external tank which I was considering anyways.
I don't want to have to worry about spilling gas while transporting or a gummed up carb in the future.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:36:07 PM by Zackattack »

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: Question for anyone familiar with portable outboards..
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:09 PM »

I unplug the gas connection and let it burn

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »

Play with the valve when you're on the water to see if it's working. While I don't have experience with that style of outboard, the motor will hardly use any gas at all if it's not under load even if you rev it up.
Also use gas that doesn't have ethanol in it as denatured ethanol is a water magnet. That and a good stabilizer (Stabil) and you're good to go for extended periods.

You could always do what psd said and drain through the supply line.

Zackattack

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »

Thnx for the replies so far..
I'm using the built in fuel tank and dont have an external tank.
When I turn and close the fuel valve the motor continues to run and run.
Is the fuel valve broken? Or will it take a long time (longer than several minutes) to die?
Good point, perhaps the motor is hardly burning any fuel and would take a while to stop. Ill try it under a load.
I guess if I notice spilt gas while transporting itll tell me that the valve is faulty too  :'(

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »

Take the hose from the valve to the carb and disconnect it to see if fuel is draining through the valve still.
The valve should be pretty basic and if it was broken you'd know it was as the knob to turn it is probably integrated as part of the valve itself.

Zackattack

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:53:09 PM »

Thanks.
That makes sense..(duh!!)

Birkenhead

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 04:11:24 AM »

The Mercury's with the built in fuel tank will run for quite awhile (5 minutes + sometimes) with the fuel valve off until what gas remains in the carb is burned off. 

With the motor upright and when the valve lever is in the horizontal position, the valve is closed to the built in fuel tank.

Zackattack

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

Thanks Birkenhead! Just what I needed to know!
5+min makes sense, afterall there is quite a bit of fuel in the hose and carb and no load on engine as was mentioned before.
This thing is mint so I doubt anythings wrong.
I just assumed, incorrectly, that turning off the gas would shut it off quickly.
Thanks for all your replies.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:37:08 AM by Zackattack »

mcallagan

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »

With an external tank, I pull the connector off the engine and it goes for a really long time before starting to die.
Also, what you may want to do is when the engine starts to cough and sputter from lack of fuel, pull out the choke.
This will make sure that any fuel anywhere in the carb. or lines is sucked into the pistons and burned, leaving the engine dry of all fuel.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »

The Mercury's with the built in fuel tank will run for quite awhile (5 minutes + sometimes) with the fuel valve off until what gas remains in the carb is burned off. 

With the motor upright and when the valve lever is in the horizontal position, the valve is closed to the built in fuel tank.
2x  a small HP outboard barely zips fuel & it may run even 10 minutes or more...after valve is closed.
Don't think you mentioned what HP your outboard is? My guess from 4-6 hp ( ??? ) guessing/pull at straws.
Our 4 hp Yamaha 4 stroke re amazed me over & over on how little fuel it used.
Used top tank & sometimes external portable tank.
Ran it all day & the portable tank still had plenty of fuel left.
Nice feeling as you know the price of fuel.
Also 2x on Noah A , & mcall others stated.

tom lam

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »

If you close the air valve on top of the internal tank, it would help to stop the fuel from leaking from the on and off valve.

Tom

Zackattack

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »

Awesome! Ya the outboards a 5hp 4 stroke.
I'm not used to 4 strokes either and ya its probably barely sipping any fuel at all haha
I probably wont even need an external tank for now..
And ya for sure Ill def close the gas cap vent for transport.
Thnx for all the help guys!

Birkenhead

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »

And ya for sure Ill def close the gas cap vent for transport.
Thnx for all the help guys!

As long as the motor is kept upright, the vent being left open is not a big deal of you forget. However if you plan on transporting the motor on it's side, remember to close the vent and make sure to lay the motor on it's handle as that is only approved method by Mercury, otherwise oil will drain out of the motor.

One more thing. Everyone should treat their gas with some fuel stabilizer which help stop the gas from breaking down and collecting moisture when not in use. This is especially important when using any gas that contains ethanol.

I use the Canadian Tire brand of stabilizer for any gas I store. It is cheap insurance and even after 6 months of storage, the gas is in great condition and does not have that old gas smell.

One oz will treat up to 5 gallons.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-fuel-stabilizer-0380909p.html#srp

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:18:16 PM by Birkenhead »