Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steelhead net  (Read 3544 times)

dave c

Steelhead net
« on: December 01, 2019, 11:47:53 AM »

Hi guys. Looking for a collapsible folding net for steelhead fishing. When catching wilds (especially larger ones) its often a struggle tailing these quickly.  I want to get the wilds released as quickly as possible.  Price is not a concern.

mikeyman

Re: Steelhead net
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »

I would think not worth netting them regardless of a catch release net. Don't bring into rocks. If wild and gets off before tailing. No biggy. Save the money.

Snagly

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 06:10:54 PM »

I hesitated to use a net for a long time, and don't really mind when they get away in knee-deep or deeper water when someone grabs the leader. However, a large hoop knotless mesh net can allow anglers to capture our quarry minutes earlier than we could otherwise tale or leader them. Starting last year, I began using a net part of the time and agree that it's easier on the fish. However, a couple of suggestions. If you're fishing for the larger sized specimens, make certain the net is large enough: even a 32" internal diameter net (with a deep bag) was maxed out this year. Second, buy a net and not a cradle. A cradle is a great way to control and minimally handle fish that have already been landed. It's an inefficient way to capture a fish ready to be released. Third, the only collapsible models I think would work for bigger steelhead involved telescoping handles (as opposed to folding hoops).

On a related topic, please don't lift netted fish out the water. They can be photo'ed while in the net. (In truth, none of your friends want to see you in a hero shot. They're more interested in a closeup of your beautiful fish.)
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 07:10:03 PM »

I like the cheap Gibbs net. replaced with rubber bag. the handle can slide into the net loop so it is small on my back.

Bring the net helped a lot this season. I landed over 100 salmon but lost very few. And true, I bring the fish in way faster than anybody without net.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 11:54:27 PM by psd1179 »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 06:58:19 PM »

personally i think a cradle is better. folding net is to big still.

http://www.rushtonlandingnets.com/net_cradles.htm

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 04:26:21 PM »

Send a message to Moby Net and ask for the "Dan and Kitty Special" which is what I've been carrying with me all the time now. A soft mesh landing net should be used as much as possible. It cuts down the fighting time significantly as others have mentioned, it also lets you handle the fish safely while it remains submerged in the net.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 10:42:49 PM »

For a very long time, I said I'd never use a net. Then one day, I won a Moby in a photo contest. It sat unused in my closet for 2 years. Then Kitty started fishing with me. I never cared much if I lost fish at the beach, but she did, so I grabbed the net to see if it would help. Not only did it help significantly with landing %, but I did indeed find the fights were much quicker, as the fish couldn't go on their last run.

I've often heard of the excuse that nets are too much of a hassle to carry, etc. I always though that too. Now, it's just a part of my gear that I don't even think twice about. Bush crashing through nasty stuff, I just carry it with my rods. Down on the river, it sits down the side of my pack. It's literally hands off the entire time, unless I'm needing it to scoop a fish.

I'd honestly stay away from a collapsible or folding version. Just get a full length of one of the Moby's. If you carry two rods, a long net won't change anything. If you don't normally carry two rods, you can throw it through the wading belt when you're working down a run, or carry a pack and put it down the side. A fold-able net will probably end up being more bulky and awkward than a standard one, but obviously, that's just my opinion.