Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: G'day - visiting and fishing  (Read 9596 times)

dostylz

G'day - visiting and fishing
« on: June 21, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »

Hi all,
Following my intro post, I'd like to get to know if its worth bringing my fishing gear from Australia to fish for a bit while I visit my brother in Vancouver.

I've spent a good few hours doing searches on this forum for more info and have learnt a bit but there are still a few questions un-answered that I was hoping you guys could help with :)  Hardware, locations and artificial baits.

I'm gonna be staying in Kitsilano from July 26th to August 5 and will have week days on my own to go recon and fish wherever my brothers bmx bike (and my little legs) will take me. I've read that some of the piers around can produce some ok fish (eg Jericho pier).

I'm not all that big on bait and 99% of the time I'll use artificials (soft plastics and hardbodies). Does anyone here use them? Plastics like Gulp 3" minnows, squidgies 80mm wrigglers etc, and Hardbodies like ecogear sx-40's, atomic hards, daiwa presso minnows, cultiva zip n ziggys.

Also will this gear work?? do you guys use the same thing??
Combo 1 -
Shimano Stradic 2500 (http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=83)
6lb braid on 1 spool, 8lb braid on another
Daiwa Team Zero 1 piece/7'1/4-10lb (http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=4597)

Combo 2 -
Shimano stradic 2500
10lb braid
Shimano t-curve MLFS (4-10lb)

leader - 8lb and 15lb flourocarbon.

I've never been fly-fishing and don't have any gear for that.

Thanks in advance and look forwards to wetting a line over your end of the world.

dostylz

Re: G'day - visiting and fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »

^ thanks guys... so is trout all I'll be able to really chase at this time of year??
don't worry about me casting my heavier combo's all day. i already do it here :)  Maybe I'll bring a light combo as well... 1-3kg and a small trion reel with 4lb braid..

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 02:07:06 AM »

G'day Henry,

Not sure why you'd want to fish in Vancouver when you are able to fish the Eastern Coast of OZ, but I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. ;D I miss those saltwater fisheries in OZ that are always so unpredictable on what species you might catch. Anyway, here are some of my recommendations for the time of your stay around Kits.

To be honest, the late July/early August period can be a bummer for fishing around Vancouver. Most anglers tend to head toward the interior of BC for stream or lake trout fishing, or the Fraser Valley for summer salmon fishing. Jericho Beach Pier does produce the odd soles, flounders, small cod etc, but overall the fishing is not that spectacular unless you are just looking for ways to kill time. The size of the fish is dwarfed by what you are able to catch back home. In addition, it will be fairly busy time of the year when the pier and beach are congested with swimmers etc.

That being said, here are a couple of options for you to toy with. On the other side of Lions Gate Bridge is North Vancouver. The Capilano River, which is just west of the bridge, has a run of coho salmon that starts in early May and ends in October. In July and August, the river tends to be very low and returning salmon often hold and wait at the river mouth or nearby bays. This is a good opportunity for anglers to target them from the beach. It is an early morning fishery, so you'd need to arrive one hour before sunrise. The fishing maybe good from that point to about 8:00am before tapering off completely. The style of fishing would be quite similar to casting lures from a beach in Queensland, except with a slower retrieve and light jerks at times. The size of the lures should be in the 10 to 20g range. Some people choose to use a weight with a leader that has a small spinner tied onto it. Some people use Buzz Bombs. Spoons would also work. There is brand of lures from OZ that works quite well for these fish too, which I will email you about with a personal request soon. ;) While you fish, you'd most likely see fish leaping on the surface from time to time. This does not mean the likelihood of catching them is big. In fact, a good morning of fishing would be a couple of bites. Your chances are limited, these fish are often picky when holding outside the river for so long. The fish are between 4 and 10lb in weight.

A couple of things to note. The hook on the lure needs to be a single hook and barbless when fishing for salmon (or for most species around here actually). If you wish to keep a salmon, you'd need to purchase a salmon stamp in addition to your saltwater fishing licence. The coho salmon that you keep must be hatchery-marked. A hatchery-marked coho salmon can be identified by the absence of the adipose fin, which is clipped off before they were released from the hatchery during the juvenile stage.

The other option would be to come south to Richmond and try fishing the Tidal Fraser River. This may or may not be good for late July/early August, because the river may still be quite muddy from the spring snow melt. If the river is clear enough (and you'd only need 1 foot of clarity), then fishing would be possible. Northern pikeminnow fishing is usually good in late August, but you may have a chance to do that during your stay. The fishing technique employed is once again spinning. This is a light tackle fishery, a small spinner or spoon that weighs 1/8oz or less is adequate enough. Richmond has several different locations where you can do this. Garry Point Park, River Road between No. 2 Road (southern end) and No. 3 Road, River Road west of the northern end of No. 1 Road (Terra Nova) can all be good. Timing is key once again, but not so much the time of the day, but more influenced by the tide. High tide is best, between two hours before and after its peak. Northern pikeminnow has no eating quality compared to other species that are available in BC. They are edible, but the flesh is filled with tiny bones, which makes it almost impossible to enjoy. We tend to catch and release them. Their weight range is 1 to 4lb. There is also a chance, but a slim one, of encounter a bull trout or cutthroat trout. These are beautiful looking fish. Retention is not allowed for these fish, but you can certainly enjoy catching and releasing them.

Here are some additional readings about this fishery.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=38

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?p=43

The rod and reel combos that you have listed are fine. I'd bring both if luggage space is not an issue. The Stradic 2500 with 8 or 10lb test line is good for the coho fishing in North Vancouver. A slightly smaller reel with 1-4lb test line and ultralight spinning rod is more ideal for the Tidal Fraser River fishery.

These two options are my recommendations if your transportation is limited.

dostylz

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 05:29:57 PM »

Thanks very much for all that info Rod :)

Yeah I've just some time to kill while I'm there during the weekday and I'm interested to just see what fish you guys have :) and the guys in my local forum would love to see a report :)

No problems with the request for Aussie lures. Let me know what you want and I can pick them up for you. If you're struggling to remember what lures they are exactly the biggest online store we have here is www.motackle.com.au. They have prices and pics of about 70% of lures available here.
I wonder if your salmon dig tassie devils like ours do down south?? http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/

Do you mean single hook as in no trebles allowed?? and no more than 1 hook on a lure?? And would a crushed barb be ok? is this a technique thing or a law/rule thing?

I'm having trouble finding pics of exactly what the adipose fin is... but by definition its the fin between the dorsal and tail fin... is that correct? I don't think I'll be looking at keeping any fish anyway. I'm definitely more of a catch and release sorta person.

Thanks for the locations help as well. I'l have to man up and ride the bike down to richmond :) or catch a bus if I can figure it out.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

Thanks for the locations help as well. I'l have to man up and ride the bike down to richmond :) or catch a bus if I can figure it out.

I live in Kits-getting to Richmond by bike is easy I did it yesterday/do it all the time.

Head East on 5th Ave to Granville St-there's a a stop right there-catch the 98-B Line to Airport Station-did you know you can put your bike on the rack @ the front of the bus?? 8) Very cool and easy to do fare is $3.75 one way.

http://www.translink.bc.ca

Here's where Google and Google Maps is your friend-take the road that leads to the #2 Road Bridge/head over the bridge and then head West on the Dyke Trail-usually you can just head right around now there's an awkward detour through Terra Park because of some construction on the trail.

Then head South on the Dyke Trail to Garry Point Park or wherever-once you're in Richmond cycling is dead easy flat as a board all kinds of bike lanes-there's a map of all cycling trails online somewhere.

Fishing around the city pretty much sucks most of everything was killed off long ago but the scenery is nice enough.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 06:28:53 PM »

Thanks very much for all that info Rod :)

Yeah I've just some time to kill while I'm there during the weekday and I'm interested to just see what fish you guys have :) and the guys in my local forum would love to see a report :)

No problems with the request for Aussie lures. Let me know what you want and I can pick them up for you. If you're struggling to remember what lures they are exactly the biggest online store we have here is www.motackle.com.au. They have prices and pics of about 70% of lures available here.
I wonder if your salmon dig tassie devils like ours do down south?? http://www.wigstonslures.com.au/

Do you mean single hook as in no trebles allowed?? and no more than 1 hook on a lure?? And would a crushed barb be ok? is this a technique thing or a law/rule thing?

I'm having trouble finding pics of exactly what the adipose fin is... but by definition its the fin between the dorsal and tail fin... is that correct? I don't think I'll be looking at keeping any fish anyway. I'm definitely more of a catch and release sorta person.

It is the law in most area's in bc. As long as the barb is pinched down it will be fine. And your location of adipose fin is correct it is a small fin that is removed to signify a hatchery fish from a wild.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42:32 PM »

dostylz you got email ;D

bcsixgill

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »

You might want to head over to the North Shore and try the Capilano, or if the Pinks come in early, Cates park....but you've got to be there early.

dostylz

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »

Thanks for the help everyone :) Good community of people you have here.
Thanks for the detailed directions Sam, will be emailing that to my blackberry so I can use it while I'm on the road :) Didn't know you could put a bike on the front of a bus there.

Steely (or anyone really) ... can I have 2 trebles on a hardbody lure??

Cates park looks a little far away...and what/where is the vedder?

bcsixgill

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:08:50 AM »

If you go to google maps and type in Sumas Cemetery Indian Reserve, you will see the vedder canal and the start of the river.  You'll need a car and its farther away than Cates Park......and doesn't sell great burgers if you get skunked (my consolation prize).  *L*

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 04:15:05 PM »

can I have 2 trebles on a hardbody lure??

The lure can only have one hook, and that hook can only be single (a single point), not a treble hook. You can use barbed hook with the barb pinched down. If you are thinking about bring hooks over for the lures, any long shanked hook with a thick shank would work. Size 1/0 - 4.

The Vedder, aka Chilliwack River, is about 1 to 1.5 hour driving from Vancouver.

Cates Park on the east side of North Vancouver. The fishing there is hit and miss, and can often be very crowded.

dostylz

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »

The lure can only have one hook, and that hook can only be single (a single point), not a treble hook. You can use barbed hook with the barb pinched down. If you are thinking about bring hooks over for the lures, any long shanked hook with a thick shank would work. Size 1/0 - 4.

The Vedder, aka Chilliwack River, is about 1 to 1.5 hour driving from Vancouver.

Cates Park on the east side of North Vancouver. The fishing there is hit and miss, and can often be very crowded.

oh man... thats gonna be a lame lure with only a single single hook :P But I guess it'll have to do. I guess I'll be bringing new split rings and single hooks so I can retro fit my hardbody lures.
Thanks for all the help everyone.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 12:14:51 AM »

oh man... thats gonna be a lame lure with only a single single hook :P But I guess it'll have to do. I guess I'll be bringing new split rings and single hooks so I can retro fit my hardbody lures.

When I moved from Australia to BC, that was my thought too. ;) The purpose of having a single barbless hook in most of our fisheries is to ensure the fish that are released are done so without much damages. There isn't much difference when it comes to hook-up or landing rate between the two types of hooks actually. In fact, after using single hooks on lures for so many years, I feel it is more effective than treble hooks. These days I even just stick with single and/or barbless hooks in fisheries that allow me to use treble and/or barbed hooks.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 10:01:19 AM »

Use a split ring, a swivel then a large Siwash hook-I've done this on a number of my Bass plugs and am surprised how well it works, generally put the split ring on the belly so that it hangs right @ the tail.

dostylz

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »

Sweet. Cheers. Might have to double the split ring on some. We'll see if it compromises the lure action :)