Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buying chest waders  (Read 9556 times)

fishyfish711

Buying chest waders
« on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »

Hello. I am looking to buy  mid priced chest waders. Probably not breathables (because of price). I will use them for launching a boat in the chuck and fishing on the Fraser/Vedder. Any suggestions as to brands, price, stores? Thank you.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: Buying chest waders
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »

I am not an authority on waders but Army & Navy appear to have very reasonable prices on these.

When I first started getting into this sport three seasons back I bought I some heavy waders from Canadian Tire for around $100 - they work and these are what I still use.  The problem with them is a) they are not the best hking distances along the Vedder and b) too hot in summer [Fortunately I only really use them a lot during the fall Salmon season].   Army & Navy have some light (breathable?) waders by Sedge for around $150 - think.  If I had my time again I would have gone for those.   Can't vouch for the quality but it may be worth looking into if money is a concern.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

Iv got a pair of never used still in the box Simms blackfoots. They are Simms basic wader model. Give me a price.
Size Large.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 06:49:04 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

fishyfish711

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 04:11:25 PM »

What size are they big fisher?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:33:10 PM »

spend $250 on cheap breathables.
 you will never, want to wear neos. again.

drh

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:48:35 PM »

canso's right, you wont be dissapointed if you get a inexpensive pair of breathables.I bought freestone simms 3 years back and am very happy with them.

fishyfish711

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »

Sorry I see they are large.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 12:35:53 AM »

I am looking for some breathables, how much for these?

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 04:43:46 PM »

Reaction in Abbotsford have good Simms waders for a couple of hundred gringos.

mattmckay

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

I bought a set of Protac Milano breathables in September. Love them for walking but I am already thinking of betting another set of Seatux for next winter. Even triple layered I could feel the cold almost immediately this winter. Also the boot material isn't up to the amount of walking I do. I have leaks in both heels. Fortunately it is warm enough that I don't mind having wet feet. Will still be great for fishing summers but I will definitely have neoprene for next winter.

lapa

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:36:24 PM »

Barry's in Richmond have Simms waders for 170$.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »

MattMckay - alot of people get leaky feet because their wading boots rub which inturn wears out the neoprene material faster. Also if you can keep sand, rocks and whatnot out of your boots it will help to prolong the life of your neo feet.

good wading boots dont have drainage holes on the inside of the feet because thats where the sand gets in, and having gravel guards will help also. My old boots used to ruin my neo feet in a few months(or less) but my new ones with new waders working perfect still after 1 full year and i fish quite a bit  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

mattmckay

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 10:57:32 AM »

Not saying my breathables are bad, just they are not up to the amount of cruising I do in the pursuit. I have korker boots which I both love and hate. Way more comfortable than anything else I have worn (out) but the lack of felt right to the edge of the boot makes some of the crazy wading I do pretty scary (missed a really got photo op of one our more famous locals doing a dip in the river while wearing korkers , fortunately in shallow water) . Neoprene just has way more insulation value for winter steel and thicker boots for the wear factor. I have never worn gravel guards with my Seatux and I usually get 2-3 years out of them (and yes I am usually dumping gravel out of them at the end of the day). I must say that other than the heels, my milanos have not leaked at all and I often wade to within a couple of inches of spillage (often one inch including hiking them up as high as I can).
 Well off to search for cutties or steel!!

fishyfish711

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 01:35:31 PM »

MattMckay - alot of people get leaky feet because their wading boots rub which inturn wears out the neoprene material faster. Also if you can keep sand, rocks and whatnot out of your boots it will help to prolong the life of your neo feet.

I wore oversize thermal socks on the outside of my neoprenes to help prevent the rubbing against my boots.

mattmckay

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »

good tip fishy, thanks