Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trolling Motor Suggestions  (Read 9533 times)

gheart008

Trolling Motor Suggestions
« on: June 09, 2007, 09:53:13 PM »

I'm currently in the process of buying a Seahawk 400 inflatable boat along with a motor mount, so the next thing to purchase is the actual motor.

I'm currently looking at the Minn Kota 30 (30lbs thrust), but just wondering if that's overkill for this boat?  Anyone have any other suggestions?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Trolling Motor Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »

What are the specs of that inflatable? 30lb Endura or Maxuum? If you are trolling go MAXUUM!! You wont regret it. I used an Endura for a bit and switched to the Maxuum very quickly.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

gheart008

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 11:11:34 PM »

What are the specs of that inflatable? 30lb Endura or Maxuum? If you are trolling go MAXUUM!! You wont regret it. I used an Endura for a bit and switched to the Maxuum very quickly.

Boat can handle up to a 35lb thrust. 

What makes the maxuum so much better than the Endura?  I was looking at the Endura (hoping to spend that much)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 02:23:57 AM »

The Maxum has some kind of dealy that gives way longer battery life.
They also have infinite speed as opposed to 5 speeds or whatever the Endura has.
Personally i would get the 40 lb Maxxum just in case you do get a bigger boat down the road.
Costco has some great deals on them at times.
I have a 40lb and a 55 bow mount and both have worked flawlessly.
Dont cheap out on a battery and get a decent charger and go slay the fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 08:21:56 AM »

I just looked up his boat. The Maxuum has the variabe speed function which allows you to troll much slower than what the Endura can. The #1 setting on the Endura is not slow enough. Anyways I see your boat is an inexpensive one and if you bought the Maxuum your motor would be worth much more than your boat. If you are just starting out than get the Endura as its is 1/3 of the price.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

gheart008

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:32:38 AM »

I just bought the Seahawk 400 yeaterday and on the box it says you can not put a motor on this boat

Canadian Tire has the seahawk 500 advertised for $149.99 and says something about motor mounts

Canadian tire weight rating is 520 pounds
Walmarts one is a rating of 814 pounds

the 400 and the 500 look exactly the same design and color.

the 400 has a 8 ft floor and a 11ft total length

Walmart in langley has the Seahawk 400 $99.99

That's because you bought the 2007 model which doesn't support a motor anymore.  I'm getting mine off eBay.  The 2006 models on eBay are about double the price of the 2007, which you can't find in retail stores anymore.

gheart008

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 08:34:25 AM »

I just looked up his boat. The Maxuum has the variabe speed function which allows you to troll much slower than what the Endura can. The #1 setting on the Endura is not slow enough. Anyways I see your boat is an inexpensive one and if you bought the Maxuum your motor would be worth much more than your boat. If you are just starting out than get the Endura as its is 1/3 of the price.

Is walmart the best place to buy these locally? 

gheart008

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 08:57:37 AM »

Is walmart the best place to buy these locally? 

Well, I just picked up the 400 from walmart last night for 99 bucks, but im not using it for fishing just to take the family out when we go camping something for my kid to play in

Canadian tire has the Seahawk 500 that has a motor capacity for $149.99 right now i would buy that before buying it on ebay unless you get a good deal on ebay and the shipping costs are low

Yup saw that but thanks for the mention.  Exchange rate too good to ignore savings from states.  I'm picking it up past the border anyways.

The 500 is longer, but for some reason has a much lower weight capacity.  The 2006 400 model holds 814 or something like that.  Plus, I think the 500 is a bit too long for my liking.

gheart008

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 12:01:45 PM »

Do you know how much the Endura is at Walmart as well as the Maxuum?

Thats weird, wonder why they would make the 2007 not rated for a motor when its for fishing comes with built in rod holders.

The 2006 is 814 pounds For the motor 
The 2007 is 814 pounds Not for the motor

Good luck with your boat, the exchange is good right now

Dunno, but Intex did that for the Excursion too, '07 model doesn't support motor mount.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 12:20:28 PM »

I dont think Wal-Mart sells the Maxuum but the 40s for $379 ( correction the 40 is on sale for $329 ) at Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire has the Endura as well and I believe it is priced the same as Wal-Mart. You wont really find any price differences in Minn Kota products from store to store.  OK I just looked up the prices. Minn Kota Maxuum's are on sale right now. The 33 is $299 regular $349 the Endura is $159

Belong to the "4 F Club"

gheart008

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:40:44 PM »

I dont think Wal-Mart sells the Maxuum but the 40s for $379 ( correction the 40 is on sale for $329 ) at Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire has the Endura as well and I believe it is priced the same as Wal-Mart. You wont really find any price differences in Minn Kota products from store to store.  OK I just looked up the prices. Minn Kota Maxuum's are on sale right now. The 33 is $299 regular $349 the Endura is $159

Thanks for looking that up.  $299 actually seems alright for the features you've described.

Any suggestions on batteries as well and where to look?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 12:55:57 PM »

I have the Energizer 800 and it has done me no wrong. I have used it on a lake two days straight and it still had power afterwards. Not overly expensive either I think around $100 at Wal-Mart.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

gheart008

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »

I have the Energizer 800 and it has done me no wrong. I have used it on a lake two days straight and it still had power afterwards. Not overly expensive either I think around $100 at Wal-Mart.

Darnit, the more and more I think about it, I think I'm convincing myself to get the Maxxum now.  Look what you've done!!

Hmm... wondering if you can use it in salt water as well.... on their website seems to be classified under freshwater only.  Think if I rinse it off enough every time I take it out in saltwater it'll be fine?

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »

the Maxum motors use a rehostat to control power to the motor( same as the volume knob on a radio )...I've the 46# Maxum...have run for 32 hours over the course of 4 days...and battery still showed in the "low" section on the built-in battery tester...works for me...;))

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »

Darnit, the more and more I think about it, I think I'm convincing myself to get the Maxxum now.  Look what you've done!!

Hmm... wondering if you can use it in salt water as well.... on their website seems to be classified under freshwater only.  Think if I rinse it off enough every time I take it out in saltwater it'll be fine?

Your question about saltwater use should be directed towards someone with experience with this. Maybe someone here might know the answer to that question. If not, I would contact Minn Kota and ask them yourself.

Mojo Minn Kota no longer use the rehostat. Jack posted about that on the other forum. I guess they had the problem with them burning out so they no longer use them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"