Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Northern Gateway APPROVED  (Read 5017 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Northern Gateway APPROVED
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »

Complete & Utter BS!!!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1039937/federal-panel-to-report-on-northern-gateway/

http://www.bnn.ca/News/2013/12/19/Panel-recommends-approval-for-Northern-Gateway-pipeline-with-conditions.aspx

Inevitable perhaps, but I still HATE this crap, and even more so those who brought into our faces!  >:(

Nog

Bavarian Raven

Re: Northern Gateway APPROVED
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 03:12:38 PM »

Who didnt see this happening  :o

Ambassador

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »

Think I need to make a trip to the Skeena fishing soon before it gets destroyed. This is really sad news for BC. Crusty Clark and Herr Harper can suck on my roe sack.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:43:30 PM »

I agree very much with Ambassador. He succinctly summarized my feeling. 

Here is an interesting read on where things go from here.

http://greenpolicyprof.org/wordpress/?p=938

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

Time to support legal action by native groups because they are the only entity with legal leverage.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 08:53:08 PM »

Time to support legal action by native groups because they are the only entity with legal leverage.

Dont get yer hopes up....MONEY talks.
Take the T out of Morton.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »

This ^
Plus I'm sure they can find some loopholes that can get the pipeline built for the "good" of the nation...

Suther

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

Yeah, it does. Thats why projects like this can be pushed through - billion-dollar oil companies have lots of Money, and its these same companies that gets Harpie elected. Remember, hes a Calgary boy, he practically has bitumen in his blood...

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »

http://

Ambassador

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:34 AM »

If you are the vocal type, go out and tell him what you think of his great plans for Canada tomorrow morning. 9am at the Fairmont downtown and 11:30 in Burnaby at the Burnaby Village Museum.
Roderick Haig-Brown

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 09:08:12 AM »

chuck and rich tagging and bagging lobby money

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Critics+raise+concerns+over+former+Tory+Strahl+lobbying+Enbridge/9357422/story.html

"Canadians were already concerned about the federal government using CSIS and the Canada Revenue Agency to target environmental groups and charities - now we learn the chair of CSIS's civilian oversight committee is a paid pipeline lobbyist," Cullen said

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Critics+raise+concerns+over+former+Tory+Strahl+lobbying+Enbridge/9357422/story.html#ixzz2pjX7INoD
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »

Plus I'm sure they can find some loopholes that can get the pipeline built for the "good" of the nation...

I heard a proponent of another bitumen pipeline decrying the opposition to the pipeline and saying that if they have to use rail transport, there will be a cost of $5/barrel that he described as a 'disaster' for the country.  Really?   Where would the $5 go?   Mostly to Canadian railways, their workers and suppliers.  To be sure it would be a loss to the producers of the bitumen but not a loss to the country as the $5 would be widely spread in the economy.  (I am not suggesting rail transport of bitumen is a good idea.)  This example of the greedy thinking about what is good for the country carries across this whole pipeline proposal.

If the bitumen were to be refined in-situ and shipped via pipeline as refined product the risk and opposition would be greatly reduced as the products would at least float if not evaporate after a leak.  Operating the refinery would provide employment in Canada.  They could also use a smaller less costly pipeline.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:27:45 PM by VAGAbond »

Ambassador

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »

I heard a proponent of another bitumen pipeline decrying the opposition to the pipeline and saying that if they have to use rail transport, there will be a cost of $5/barrel that he described as a 'disaster' for the country.  Really?   Where would the $5 go?   Mostly to Canadian railways, their workers and suppliers.  To be sure it would be a loss to the producers of the bitumen but not a loss to the country as the $5 would be widely spread in the economy.  (I am not suggesting rail transport of bitumen is a good idea.)  This example of the greedy thinking about what is good for the country carries across this whole pipeline proposal.

If the bitumen were to be refined in-situ and shipped via pipeline as refined product the risk and opposition would be greatly reduced as the products would at least float if not evaporate after a leak.  Operating the refinery would provide employment in Canada.  They could also use a smaller less costly pipeline.
The "Disaster" is to the bottom line of Enbridge and its shareholders trying to cut out every dollar that is not going directly to them. Screw them. Far prefer this toxic garbage on rails rather than a huge pipe on the side of unstable mountains and pristine rivers. At least when a train goes off the rails, it is known within a matter of moments and can be dealt with quickly - not hours/days/weeks like we can expect with a pipeline in such remote areas.
Roderick Haig-Brown