Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Curly tail jigs for coho  (Read 13069 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Curly tail jigs for coho
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

Besides twitching the curly tail jigs I have been having good success lately by casting, letting sink to the bottom and then reeling in with a slow-medium retrieve.   

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »

So I watched the Bent Rods videos and a few others on YouTube then tied up about 15 1/4 Oz jigs. Mostly maribou, rabbit, and a few rubber curly tails. Variety of typical coho colours. I went to the same pool on the river on two different days. Full of porpoising coho, nobody else fishing except the person I was with. High but slack water with good clarity. Low light conditions. Twitching with a spinning rod. Perfect, right?

Well, sort of. I had pretty dismal results in situations where I'm sure experts in the technique would have slayed them. One fish landed, probably 6-8 fish lost after fewer than ten second battles, and many, many short takes. I was able to see before losing a couple of the hooked fish that I had them hooked just in the tip of the upper lip.

I also noticed that I would usually get a hit within the first couple of casts with a particular jig, then nothing until I would change colours.

Are these typical results? I really feel like there must be some small mistake that I'm making that is limiting my success. I can't figure out what it might be though.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »

Twitching jigs is not the end all and be all. The fact that you hooked 9 indicates you're doing it right. Some days they're just light biters.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »

One fish landed, probably 6-8 fish lost after fewer than ten second battles, and many, many short takes.
Dismal results? Dude! You have very high expectations :)

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »

The amount of action isn't my concern, it's the success ratio that I'm not thrilled about. I'm used to being able to make solid hook sets and land a pretty high percentage of my bites flyfishing and drift Fishing . Especially given the short fights I was thinking that I probably wasn't quite getting it right with a technique that's new to me.

Animal Chin

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »

Besides twitching the curly tail jigs I have been having good success lately by casting, letting sink to the bottom and then reeling in with a slow-medium retrieve.

If anyone is ever out near Castlegar and want to fish for walleye/pickerel .... an absolutely delicious fish ... this technique worked awesome for me this summer.