Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request 3 - Sport angling behaviour  (Read 28210 times)

glog

Here's a little tit bit from another part

"The sturgeon swam into and snagged itself on the rig"

So much for the idea that bar fish don't snag fish!!!

Over the years I've seen every type of fisherman snag fish (95% accidentally), just try fly fishing for coho on any of the rivers when the chum, springs are in they get hooked all over the place.

Just because someone uses BB technique doesn't mean they are deliberately trying to snag.  I actually learned the river technique from  a fishing show mark peddleton did when he fished the vedder and then the Pitt river using guess what bottom bouncing. I found it quite effective in clear water, with light weights.

So why is it when the majority wants something, these special interest groups and preaching saints all want to ignore the wishes of majority and force their own concepts and beliefs on the rest of us.  They will claim that they know what's best and whats right  and we know nothing.  Its been going on for 100's of years and will continue.

kingpin

• Old Timer

oh boy here we go....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

liketofish

• Old Timer

Some of the bar fishing elitists (is a dozing fishermann while fishing an elitist?  ;D) always think that if we BB, we don't care about fish stocks. That is all BS to me. Most of us are guardians at the bars to make sure no sockeyes are bonked or mishandled by green hands.  I have only seen one sockeye landed in about 6 trips. Bfers should leave the fish stock issues to the capable hands of DFO and their scientists and test fisheries. They are the one to issue closures if stocks are low, not some bfers who think they know more than you and me. Behind these talks are just envies of the catches by the bouncing crew.  :D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

I think 2:40 rational is:

you close the Fraser Sockeye fishery for sportys for good, so that they (as in that ilk) don't buy a license and fish the Vedder ever again

You can make the connection now. I could be wrong but that seems to be the gist of it. I'd also bet it won't stop people deliberately trying to snag fish. I've seen that going on ever since I started fishing over 30 years ago.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Athezone

• Old Timer

Yep 2:40 knows us all right, we've never fished a day in our life unless were snaggin them up and we certainly don't give a rats my friend about  fish conservation. Hoorah hillbillies lets hook them there fish. Oh by the way fished Sat. and Sunday and saw well over 30 big fat chromers brought to shore and yet did'nt see one sockeye caught. Lions and tigers and bears, Oh My.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Nuggy

Yep 2:40 knows us all right, we've never fished a day in our life unless were snaggin them up and we certainly don't give a rats *** about  fish conservation. Hoorah hillbillies lets hook them there fish. Oh by the way fished Sat. and Sunday and saw well over 30 big fat chromers brought to shore and yet did'nt see one sockeye caught. Lions and tigers and bears, Oh My.

ATZ, I`m glad you are reporting stats from the beach you were at of thirty bonked chinook. Your braggart ways will give DFO a chance to see that snaggers are also having an impact on Chinook stocks. Keep on bragging and conserving ;)

Cheers
Nuggy

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

While no one claimed it would never ever, this is the first Ive ever heard. Ive put in hundreds of hours with a bar rod and have yet to snag fish #1. To whom this happened to, I might suggest to go buy a lottery ticket!!!!

Over the years I've seen every type of fisherman snag fish (95% accidentally), just try fly fishing for coho on any of the rivers when the chum, springs are in they get hooked all over the place.

It happens, as you said, once in a blue moon. If anglers are fishing using proper methods and intentions, accidental foul hookings are very very rare.

Just because someone uses BB technique doesn't mean they are deliberately trying to snag.

You are most right! Bottom bouncing, used properly in suitable conditions is a acceptable manner to make a fish bite.

But if one's using a 20' leader, the intention is only to snag a fish.

See the problem calling both "bottom bouncing"?

So why is it when the majority wants something, these special interest groups and preaching saints all want to ignore the wishes of majority and force their own concepts and beliefs on the rest of us.

Since when was the majority right?

Yep 2:40 knows us all right, we've never fished a day in our life unless were snaggin them up and we certainly don't give a rats *** about  fish conservation. Hoorah hillbillies lets hook them there fish. Oh by the way fished Sat. and Sunday and saw well over 30 big fat chromers brought to shore and yet did'nt see one sockeye caught. Lions and tigers and bears, Oh My.

I never said that. I think I acknowledged that many who partake in this 'fishery' go about it in a common sense manner as possible. I dont think it's right, but I think it's fair to point out they do take their garbage with them, release fish properly and etc. But sadly, FAR too many who took up this snagging are not doing this. I think this is part of the issue. Guys only see what they're doing and overlook what's going on around them. Sure, they're not kicking fish or making a mess, but MANY guys who are doing the same thing these 'ethical snaggers'  ;D are supporting ARE. And here lies the problem. And why is anyone surprised? Permitting snagging can only have predictable results.

As Nuggy said, good to hear how sport anglers are still pounding on the Chinook runs.  ::)

Why is it the anti-snaggers who take the heat for dividing anglers and ramming things down other's throats? I guess it's just a matter of perspective, but maybe let's be fair as the pro-snaggers are doing the same thing if we want to talk about that. It doesnt make a wrong a right, but thought it should be mentioned. Guys will ultimately do what they want. Sure, they can use the excuse for themselves or to others to say some guy on a fishing forum drove them to do it  ::). I wonder if the ads on TV against drinking and driving makes people jump up and want to do it just to spite the TV?  ???

I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!

you close the Fraser Sockeye fishery for sportys for good, so that they (as in that ilk) don't buy a license and fish the Vedder ever again

You can make the connection now. I could be wrong but that seems to be the gist of it. I'd also bet it won't stop people deliberately trying to snag fish. I've seen that going on ever since I started fishing over 30 years ago.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but thanks for sharing.

Anyone's welcome to FISH, but SNAGGING shouldnt be an option. My concerns Im so openly sharing has nothing to do with my having more room on the river or any other personal gain.

I think you're right. Snagging's always has been a problem and always will be. Personally, I think it will be more of a problem in the future regardless of what's done to curb the rampant snagging that happens now. Difference is that before, snaggers laid low, did it at night or in hiding. Now they have 50 guys all doing the same thing to blend in with and feel comfortable doing it next to a busy road. 'Legal' snagging brings out more guys looking for easy meat and increases the % of 'bad apples' in a group. That's why Im trying to support a standard in fishing. I think NO SNAGGING is a pretty fair and easy standard to follow!
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but thanks for sharing.

Anyone's welcome to FISH, but SNAGGING shouldnt be an option. My concerns Im so openly sharing has nothing to do with my having more room on the river or any other personal gain.

I think you're right. Snagging's always has been a problem and always will be. Personally, I think it will be more of a problem in the future regardless of what's done to curb the rampant snagging that happens now. Difference is that before, snaggers laid low, did it at night or in hiding. Now they have 50 guys all doing the same thing to blend in with and feel comfortable doing it next to a busy road. 'Legal' snagging brings out more guys looking for easy meat and increases the % of 'bad apples' in a group. That's why Im trying to support a standard in fishing. I think NO SNAGGING is a pretty fair and easy standard to follow!

2:40 your language is nothing but offensive and turn people off. There is nothing in your post except to repeat the 'S' words over and over again, and to show total disrespect and deliberate shaming of decent fishermen who may have more fishing (all forms) years than you. DfO does not prosecute people flossing as snagging, so what gives you the right to repeatedly call people snaggers, just because they choose to catch a fish with a method you don't like.  Total lack of taste in these demeaning posts of yours with the intent only to shame and label just like PETA.  >:( Why not make some posts on fishing skills and knowledge. Your intent of coming over to this forum seems only to destroy the unity of this forum. Just pathetic!!!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:08:29 AM by Steelhawk »

lucky

• Old Timer

there are a few individuals on this site who have nothing to contribute but negativity, they lurk around all year waiting for these discussions to come up so they can use this site as a soapbox to ram there personal views and opinions down everyone elses throats. my advice is to let it go in one ear and out the other, there have been many times where Ive wanted to give up on this site because of the constant bashing, but I just take a deep breathe now and step away from the computer for a while till I cool off. 

BTW, I had a long talk with two conservation officers this weekend, and both men I spoke with have absolutely no problem with bottom bouncing :o

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Going fishing but this problem will not go away. As much as some will not like it changes will be coming not tomorrow but they will happen.

FOC and MOE will not be able to condone this snag fishery much longer as it continues to spread and has spread to most of our rivers now. Many written examples and pictures have been posted the last few years that prove this.

The Environment Minister also saw it first hand on Saturday and I donot think he was impressed either.

The debate can go on if you wish but most points have been made on both sides of the issue so we might as well sit back and let it all unfold.

I think my Maple Leaf Drennan float will be going down a few times shortly ;D ;D ;D as will this type of activity in the near future, an activity some people try to call sportsfishing.

If it does not change sports angling as we used to know it will be gone forever and sadly the fish and fishing opportunities will follow in quick succession. What a shame for us to leave too our future generations.

As a side note I hold no grudges against those on the other side of the issue but I am only trying to get them to understand the problems this activity is creating.

I know, as I did this sockeye thing too, I thought it was great until someone that was a lot younger than me told me the fish I was catching were being snagged and I know right then I would have to change. I, as well as all of us should treat our fish with more respect than I was in those days.

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion and to make their own choice but I ask you, reach way down in your heart and ask yourself is this the way to sportsfish, if so continue but we always can change too.

Kindest regards to all.

Chris
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:12:05 AM by chris gadsden »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Maybe 2:40 calls it snagging because it is snagging?
I cant believe this discussion and fishery is still taking place.
People still defending there right to snag fish is unbelievable.
At first they thought and argued that they were actually catching fish that bit but then conceded that yes they were snagging the Sockeye but they only did this for Sockeye and they then called this a harvest. ::)
Now they are openly saying that they are snagging Chinook. :o

No fisheries officers patrolling this and we were supposed to have gotten all these new officers this year?
What the heck is happening to sport fishing in this province?Im ashamed and disgusted, and to think that people openly admit snagging Chinook on a public forum and think nothing of it just makes me ill.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Maybe 2:40 calls it snagging because it is snagging?
I cant believe this discussion and fishery is still taking place.
People still defending there right to snag fish is unbelievable.
At first they thought and argued that they were actually catching fish that bit but then conceded that yes they were snagging the Sockeye but they only did this for Sockeye and they then called this a harvest. ::)
Now they are openly saying that they are snagging Chinook. :o

No fisheries officers patrolling this and we were supposed to have gotten all these new officers this year?
What the heck is happening to sport fishing in this province?Im ashamed and disgusted, and to think that people openly admit snagging Chinook on a public forum and think nothing of it just makes me ill.

Do not give up and let it spoil your fishing outings, we believe changes are in the wind  in the not too distant future. It is important to post your thoughts as those that will make the changes are reading these threads. ;D ;D ;D

Thrasher

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion and to make their own choice but I ask you, reach way down in your heart and ask yourself is this the way to sportsfish, if so continue but we always can change too.

Kindest regards to all.

Chris

what the...??????

is this about sports fishing and conservation or is this about sipping tea and eating crumpets. that statement sounded a little...well...........soft   ???