Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultralight spinning rods 8'-10' ?  (Read 13490 times)

DanL

• Old Timer
Ultralight spinning rods 8'-10' ?
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:56:57 AM »

I'm looking for a couple ultra light spinning rods specifically for trout fishing in lakes; casting, trolling or whatever. Line rating ideally 1-4lb or perhaps 2-6lb but in 8-10 ft length.

Hoping not to have to go for a custom build as we all know how expensive that can get. There are factory built rods in the 5' - 6' 6" range but no luck so far in finding anything longer.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Ultralight spinning rods 8'-10' ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »

I've seen okuma rods that might interest you. I think they were 13 ft and 2-6 rated. Noodle rods for sure, I almost bought one!

Saw them at the Cabelas in the states last year.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »

2-6lb for chums? you must be fishing in area with no moving water. if there is flow you dont stand a chance unless you have a a lot of beach to work with. i have the hmx 4 to 10 and i have lost good sizes hoes because i dont have enough room to work with. chums no chance. again this is in area's with flow.

that 2-6 would be great for fishing lakes. would also be more than enough for pink salmon.

Hoop71

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

Daiwa makes good rods.

I have a Daiwa 8'0 rod (the same in link below), rated 2-6, that has only been used 4-6 times and cost me $100.

Will let it go for $60 if you are interested (excellent condition). It is a little too long for me so I went with a 7' Diawa Spinmatic.

http://www.berrysbait.com/products/1/1/1/1/spinning-221/daiwa-26/presso-series-1/presso-ultra-light-rods-models-76-to-8-22327.aspx

Cheers,
Dan

Hoop71

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 04:34:44 PM »

Daiwa makes good rods.

I have a Daiwa 8'0 rod (the same in link below), rated 2-6, that has only been used 4-6 times and cost me $100.

Will let it go for $60 if you are interested (excellent condition). It is a little too long for me so I went with a 7' Diawa Spinmatic.

http://www.berrysbait.com/products/1/1/1/1/spinning-221/daiwa-26/presso-series-1/presso-ultra-light-rods-models-76-to-8-22327.aspx

Cheers,
Dan

Ooops, sorry double post.

bcguy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:50:15 PM »

I have a Fenwick HMX Ultralight 2-6lb rated medium fast 9'6". I have had it for nearly 2 years and have used it hundreds of times now and would definitely recommend it. I've landed chums with it and I've landed stocked trout.. rod bends like crazy it's great.

X2 on Fenwick HMX
Awesome rod👍
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 07:15:13 PM »

I've seen okuma rods that might interest you. I think they were 13 ft and 2-6 rated. Noodle rods for sure, I almost bought one!

Good thought, I hadnt considered Okuma but from their website it seems the longest ultralight they have is 8ft which actually might suffice.

I have a Fenwick HMX Ultralight 2-6lb rated medium fast 9'6". I have had it for nearly 2 years and have used it hundreds of times now and would definitely recommend it.

This would be perfect but it doesnt seem to be on the Fenwick website. Longest UL appears to be 8 ft unless I missed it. Maybe this 9'6" model is no longer made?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »

Shimano Convergence has one that's 10'6" and rated 4 to 6lb, moderate action. I have one which I use for float fishing for trout in lakes right now.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 07:56:45 PM »

A little more expensive but the Browning Six Rivers listed here are pretty good if you are looking for a long noodle-y ultralight.

http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Six-Rivers-Salmon/Steelhead-Noodle-Rod/product/1406130906243/

ktt

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »

The Daiwa Spinmatic and Presso are good rods for the money.
I like my Shimano Compre CPS-F86L2B Medium Fast which is very light but I think this model is no longer made.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »

I also have an HMX and love it.
Use it for Coho in slow water and is a hoot.

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 10:58:14 PM »

Here is a less expensive 9' rod rated 4-8 lbs:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/75154/cabelas-whuppin-stick-crappie-rod

I don't know why they keep that "crappie" model separate from the others:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/37466/cabelas-whuppin-stick-spinning-rods

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »

Whatever you choose should be based on what you're fishing for.
Using a light trout rod with insignificant line, to play a fish for an extended period of time, close to death, and then release it before it spawns is really not cool.
Some think it's fun and use and abuse.
It's not just a fish!
(Too many roe harvesters)
It's you're attachment and respect for a sport.

When chums start showing (fall) there will be a wack of folks talking about the goon squads, unhappy with their conduct, etc;...
Which extends beyond the snagging rituals...

It's a ways away but some comments on here seem to be an extension of something...

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »

Shimano Convergence has one that's 10'6" and rated 4 to 6lb, moderate action. I have one which I use for float fishing for trout in lakes right now.

I was able to check one out at the LFS and it might be a bit heavy for the kind of fish I'll likely be getting into. It seemed to have quite a bit of backbone for that line rating.

After a bit more local research it seems UL rods are pretty common 5-7 ft, a few options at 8 ft but 9+ footers are basically non-existent.

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »

I have a 5' Shimano Clarus ultralight spinning rod (1-4lb) for sale if anyone is interested. Brand new.

email me at mthom@sfu.ca if you are interested.