Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Jack  (Read 13371 times)

Suther

Re: Pink Jack
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »

Pinks live exactly 2 years, coho live just over 2 years (which is what I originally said). If you want to pick apart my post more, go for it.

Something doesn't add up. For a pink to live exactly two years it would have to birth live young. If a coho lives 2.5  years than a pink is closer to 1.5 years than two. Pinks are called two years just the same as coho is called three because its based from brood to brood not alevin or fry to spawner.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »

From hatching to spawning, it's 1.5 years for pink salmon.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »

Coho will generally hatch in January or February then emerge from the gravel 4 to 6 weeks later. They spawn and die close to 3 years later in November or December of the year.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sbc hris

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »

Was at the Norrish Creek hatchery a few weeks back, and low and behold there was a chum Jack swimming around with his bigger siblings. I remembered this thread and took a few pics, granted they are not the best quality as shooting into the water is hard, but it was easy to tell it was a chum, and it was about 12'' long.