Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink Jack  (Read 13374 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Pink Jack
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 04:10:09 PM »

I have caught Jill and Jack coho in the same day. they taste a lot better than their larger brethren  ;D

Ive also caught jack sockeye and 1 tiny chum(jack?) over the years. I like most people have caught loads of Jack Chinook

first jack pink I have seen, maybe that's what those tiny pinks are in the Squamish. I have caught some very small ones 2lbs and under that I just dismissed as small pinks because the pinks there top out around 6-7lbs anyways
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

Coho only live just over 2 years as well and they do jack.

Wild coho on the south coast live about 3.5 years from egg emergence to spawning. Jacks loose a years sea growth relative to the full adult fish. On the north coast may live longer - more time in river reaching smolt stage due to shorter growing season.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

Wild coho on the south coast live about 3.5 years from egg emergence to spawning.
Not sure what south coast coho stocks you are referring to here but the ones I am familiar with, ie Vedder, Chehalis, generally spawn in their 3rd year as Everyday stated. Of course many 2 year (jacks) and a few 4 year olds occur but not often.
Female Jenny's or Jill's are very common in Cultus sockeye 3 year olds and often found in Vedder coho 2 year olds.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »

8)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:49:16 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 09:46:41 PM »

he actually said 2 years but the folks at the hatchery seem to disagree
Chilliwack coho,like most coho stocks, generally follow a 3 year life cycle, illustrated in Figure 1

from pg. 4: http://www3.fvrd.bc.ca/Electoral%20Area%20Services%20Committee/2006/EASC%202006%2001%2010/Item%2010-01%20Understanding%20Coho%20Production.pdf
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:48:42 PM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 09:47:20 PM »

triple!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:49:32 PM by RalphH »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »

South Coast coho salmon, as Everyday and Dave have pointed out, live for just over two years. For example, adult fish that are returning this year, hatched out of eggs in spring 2011. From spring 2011 to October 2013, just over two years. It's called a three year cycle as it is counting from brood to brood (2010 broods produce 2013 fish).

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 10:43:28 PM »

he actually said 2 years but the folks at the hatchery seem to disagree
from pg. 4: http://www3.fvrd.bc.ca/Electoral%20Area%20Services%20Committee/2006/EASC%202006%2001%2010/Item%2010-01%20Understanding%20Coho%20Production.pdf

That document you posted appears to show the hatchery agreeing with him.  The alevin hatch in the spring then spend a year in the natal stream until they smolt and head out to sea where they spend 16 to 18 months (1.5 years) before returning to spawn. That would make it just over two years since they hatched. As Rod says it is 3 years brood to brood.
Not all those who wander are lost

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 07:35:52 AM »

yes the natural life cycle is 3 years not 2 from eggs to spawning. I don't know where I got the 3.5 years from but for some reason it was stuck in my brain. Eggs are generally fertilized in late fall year, hatch as Alevins a couple months later emerge as fry in the spring and then stay in stream until the following spring as parr. They then migrate to the ocean where they either stay for about 18 months a small % of males 'jack' and return in their second autumn about 2 years after they started life as a fertile egg. The remainder return the following year as 3 year olds. A coho spawned as an egg this year will return in 2016 if it does the full 3 year cycle. This is the established way of describing a fishes life cycle since few fish species brood in a uterus and are born live as mammals do.

In some cases they may spend an extra year in stream or as I have heard but never seen confirmed an extra year at sea and return as large fish well over 15lbs.

A pink salmon spawned as an egg this year will of course return in 2015 or a 2 year cycle. That is a year shorter than coho. Remember the original coment was pinks and coho both live 2 years?

Coho only live just over 2 years as well and they do jack.

Even year cycle pinks in the Fraser are all but unknown and even if pinks do jack the probability of an angler catching one would be astronomical.

As far jills, jennys, coho-kanee and the little 6 inch fully mature males I have caught in an unnamed stream I don't know how old these atypical fish are since they never provided a birth certificate when I asked for one. ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »

As far jills, jennys, coho-kanee and the little 6 inch fully mature males I have caught in an unnamed stream I don't know how old these atypical fish are since they never provided a birth certificate when I asked for one. ;D

The ages of 3 year old female sockeye from Cultus, Jills or Jennies, are determined by scale and otolith readings.

KP

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:03 AM »

All you need to do is learn the complete life history of our five species of Pacific's to understand it is a physical impossibility for a pink to "jack".  Any juvenile salmonid returning to its natal stream the same calendar it migrated to the sea cannot feed enough in a few months to reach a size comparable to what is considered a jack.  As an example a pink first year ocean fish would only be about 4 inches long.  I have seen a lot of small pinks as small as half a kilo.  The growth rates just don't add up. 

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »

South Coast coho salmon, as Everyday and Dave have pointed out, live for just over two years. For example, adult fish that are returning this year, hatched out of eggs in spring 2011. From spring 2011 to October 2013, just over two years. It's called a three year cycle as it is counting from brood to brood (2010 broods produce 2013 fish).

So fish hatched in the spring of 2011 spend one year in the river so in the spring 2012 they go out into the salt.
They spend one year and a few months in the ocean and return in the fall of 2013.
Coho jacks spend only 6 months feeding in the salt water which explains why they are so small when they come in.
They grow from fingerling smolt to couple of hundred grams in 6 months.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 09:34:50 AM »

The ages of 3 year old female sockeye from Cultus, Jills or Jennies, are determined by scale and otolith readings.
Good to know. Also important to understand that while there is some variability of life cycle for coho, sockeye, chinook and even chum (I believe), Pinks have the same 2 year cycle throughout their range.

Also because a particular fish is notably small or large does not necessarily mean they are of a younger or older age class than most other fish of their species. Other factors like genetics, parasites or disease may be factors.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »

Well apparently I wasn't clear enough with my comment? I didn't say they were exactly like pink anywhere as I recall, I just said they roughly had the same amount of time to live? I said coho live just over 2 years, which is true.

Pinks live exactly 2 years, coho live just over 2 years (which is what I originally said). If you want to pick apart my post more, go for it. It really isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned... The main thing I was trying to get across was simply stating that I'm sure it is possible for a pink to jack, although unlikely (and probably never recorded as far as I know), and that you couldn't base jacking on age. It would be interesting to obtain data from these very tiny pinks to see why they are this small (lack of feed, disease, etc). All fish "evolve" over time, so it is possible that you could eventually see pinks jacking. They have already been recorded spawning successfully in brackish water which is something that was never believed to be possible.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »

well there was some bad math in this thread: 1 + 1.5 = 3.5 was my bad. ;D