Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pinks and coho schooling together  (Read 13473 times)

EZ_Rolling

Re: Pinks and coho schooling together
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »

Milo fly fishing is not evolving it's just another form of fishing

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »

LOL! The best gear salmon fishermen catch more coho and springs with a 12-18" leader and the tiniest tuft of peach or orange wool imitating a single egg or a with a well presented blade than those armed with big blobs of stinky roe!

Spoken like a true elitest fly fisherman ::) 12"-18" leaders are the best length of leader to use in water with roughly 3'-4' of vis with average flow or water with 4'-6' of vis with moderate to heavy flow such as a head of a pool or run. In a typical run such as peach road I would use a leader roughly 16"-24" in water with 4'-6' of vis

If you wanna toss your wool, blades and rubbers while I toss my roe I'd be game to fish with you for a day milo, loser buys lunch lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »

Big blobs of stinky roe?
Milo,they have fridges now.You should get one. ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 09:58:32 PM »

"Hills Bros...red can."

Fly fishing is not just another form of fishing.  It is indeed an evolution, as 99 percent of anglers start out as bait fishermen.  The reason you stick that worm on your kid's hook is because you know it is the best chance they have to catch a fish.  Fish feed by smell first and all other senses next.  No one is going to argue with you that you can catch fish with roe, but the guy that can catch more fish than you using scentless flies is obviously going to be a more skilled fisherman.  Now that does not mean all fly fisherman are better fisherman, and you probably do catch more fish with your roe than most fly fishermen do with flies.  Now, I cannot explain to you why I would intentionally choose to fish in a manner that puts me at an obvious disadvantage to you when we are going head to head in a "catch the most fish" contest, but I can tell you that every fish I catch is going to feel a lot more satisfying to me knowing I fooled it into biting a bunch of fur and feathers, than it would by fooling it by sticking a hook into the actual stuff it is eating.  Fly fishing is more difficult then fishing with bait, from the casting and presentation of the offering, to the control of a drifting fly, to the playing of the fish itself (do I fight it on the reel or on the line?).  A fly fisherman has made a conscious choice to put the fishing ahead of the catching.  Most bait fisherman do not get that, hence the reference to us being "elitist."
Not all those who wander are lost

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

Sorry Sandman.  I disagree.  And I'm one of the 1% of guys who started fly fishing for salmon and steelhead years before learning to use the drift rod.  I've caught trout, salmon, and steelhead on the fly - all flies that I tied myself.  I do consider fly fishing to be more difficult from a technical perspective (i.e. casting, presentation, etc.).  However, I would rate both drift fishing and fly fishing to be equally difficult in terms of consistently catching fish.  And I do get satisfaction knowing that I prepared and cured roe, that outfishes everything else, myself.  I get just as much enjoyment out of short floating roe for coho as I do chironomid fishing for trout, or spey casting for steelhead.  Both drift fishing and fly fishing require skill and the lessons on the water are endless.  Some species take flies very well (flies for pinks will outfish gear hands down, as will chironomids for trout).  I'm at the point where I can catch fish with either the fly or roe.  To me, they are simply different forms of fishing and neither one is better than the other.  But that's just my own experience and each to their own...   ;) ;) ;)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 10:42:48 PM »

Sorry Sandman.  I disagree.  And I'm one of the 1% of guys who started fly fishing for salmon and steelhead years before learning to use the drift rod.  I've caught trout, salmon, and steelhead on the fly - all flies that I tied myself.  I do consider fly fishing to be more difficult from a technical perspective (i.e. casting, presentation, etc.).  However, I would rate both drift fishing and fly fishing to be equally difficult in terms of consistently catching fish.  And I do get satisfaction knowing that I prepared and cured roe, that outfishes everything else, myself.  I get just as much enjoyment out of short floating roe for coho as I do chironomid fishing for trout, or spey casting for steelhead.  Both drift fishing and fly fishing require skill and the lessons on the water are endless.  Some species take flies very well (flies for pinks will outfish gear hands down, as will chironomids for trout).  I'm at the point where I can catch fish with either the fly or roe.  To me, they are simply different forms of fishing and neither one is better than the other.  But that's just my own experience and each to their own...   ;) ;) ;)
Give this man a medal !!!!. A fly fisherman that "gets it". Great post!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 10:52:29 PM »

If you wanna toss your wool, blades and rubbers while I toss my roe I'd be game to fish with you for a day milo, loser buys lunch lol

I don't see fishing as a numbers' game, but for the record, I know you'd beat me hands down.
Introduce yourself next time you run into me on the flow and I'll buy you lunch anyway.

I don't feed fish, but I will gladly feed a hungry fellow angler.  :D

dave c

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 10:58:58 PM »

Its a shame that we live in a society where everyone needs to feel superior to their fellow man. as far as i'm concerned to each their own, but a certain part of sandmans posts rings true.  He says that the satisfaction of catching a fish thru more difficult means is more gratifying and he has hit the nail right on the head.  This is precisely why guys will use their centerpins stalking steelhead.  The purity of it all.  Its more about quality than quantity.  Personally I found Centerpin casting much more difficult to learn than fly casting. I tie my own flies and jigs and cure my own roe.  The first time a fish rose to take a dry I tied was so rewarding.....as was my first steelhead pinning.  Guys lets not forget we are a brotherhood here. We all share the same passion for our quarry, it doesn,t matter the technique u prefer, if I'm standing beside u and u bring in a beauty fly fishig I will certainly say nice fish, and hopefully fly fishermen will do the same for guys using other methods and not turn up their noses because he is using "smelly rotten roe"

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 11:25:05 PM »

A fish is a fish, no matter what ethical method is used to catch it. I get the same rush wether I am bait casting/ fly fishing or drowning a worm with my kids! Lol

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 06:02:42 AM »

Milo fly fishing is not evolving it's just another form of fishing

It seems that Milo has a hard time to understand this simple fact. Maybe that's why he go home with fish caught by his buddies on roe... once in a while. 8) ;D

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 07:20:14 AM »

It seems that Milo has a hard time to understand this simple fact. Maybe that's why he go home with fish caught by his buddies on roe... once in a while. 8) ;D

Plus the fish comes already cleaned and ready to eat.  ;D
I do the fishing, you do the catching and cleaning. A win-win situation in my books.  8)

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »

I do the fishing, you do the catching and cleaning. A win-win situation in my books.  8)

Darn fly fishing elitists and their hunger sticks. ;D :P. No more free coho for you buddy. ::)

jacked55

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »

Plus the fish comes already cleaned and ready to eat. 
I do the fishing, you do the catching and cleaning. A win-win situation in my books. 

Seems to me Milo has it figured out. lol.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 11:02:08 AM »

Good to hear you had a fine day, Milo. Yes, I have seen several strange anomalies with fish behaviour. On the Cowichan one day I hooked what I thought was a steelhead paired with another. It turned out to be a Brown trout of about 5 or 6 pounds. When I was playing the Brown the steelhead followed it the whole time. And when I released the Brown the two swam off together. I saw a summer-run steelhead on the Marble buddy up with a sockeye and the two traveled together despite there being others of their own kind nearby. Maybe it is similar to me going to Thailand and my choices there.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 11:03:34 AM »

Works for me and Ironnoggin.