Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the lighter side of fishing  (Read 13335 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: On the lighter side of fishing
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 09:19:47 AM »

A couple of years ago I was fishing for coho with a buddy and he had a beauty of a coho on when the hook came out and everything came right back at him. He was able to duck out of the way of the float and weight but not the hook. The hook ended up embedded in his chin and we needed pliers to get it out. I guess the fish got the last laugh that day  ;D.

Last year when fishing for chum for the smoker the same thing almost happened except when the hook came out the float hit me in the groin followed by the weight. Luckily the jig missed but the weight was enough to drop me to my knees  :'( . Almost makes you think of wearing a cup lol

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

funpig

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 12:13:35 PM »

I wasn't there, but a friend of mine and his buddy were fishing the west coast of Vancouver Island about a week ago.  My friend caught a 12 pound coho and his buddy leaned over the side of the boat to net it.  I guess a swell came along and the buddy fell overboard.  He had the wherewithal to hold onto the netted fish while he treaded water.  After handing up the net and fish to my friend, he climbed back on board.

Brian

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 06:06:13 PM »

a swell came along and the buddy fell overboard.  He had the wherewithal to hold onto the netted fish while he treaded water. 

Now that's a true fisherman.  A rookie would've dropped the fish and the net.

He can be my wingman anytime.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 08:27:20 PM »

Years ago fishing with two friends off Sechelt in my boat.  We had a herring pail full of herring.  My buddy decided to refresh the fish and poured them into the salmon net.  Guess what, the holes in the net were bigger than the fish.  Two dozen herring gone.

UFC

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »

Worst for me was fishing on the Vedder at Tamihi. It was very cold and raining so my hands were numb. I hooked a chum and had him in shallow water between rocks ready for landing. I was in a bit of a bad spot for landing fish, but given the fish was on its side and looked tired, I placed the rod down for two seconds on the rock as I attempted to grab his tail. He quickly bolted away......before I could grab my rod.
End of my day fishing.

funpig

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:42:13 AM »

About five years ago, I was tossing a buzz bomb off of the fishing wharf at Campbell river.  Suddenly, boat went speeding by and snagged my hook and line.  I held on for dear life as it peeled off about 100 yards of line before finally breaking off.  I was just happy I did not lose the rod and reel.

Froodogga

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »

trout fishing in the interior...hooked a trout and as it came to the surface an osprey swoops down and grabs my fish...I'm sitting in the boat, cursing at the bird for taking my catch, then realize my hook is still in the fish's mouth and my fly line is headed up up up with the bird...I pinch the line, the leeder breaks, and the bird flies away with my fish and lucky fly...

arimaBOATER

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 10:21:47 PM »

Well I'll never forget going fishing to a small lake in the Maple Ridge area...UBC had or has some forestry studies going on there for students..... anyways the person I'm with (will not mention who) goes & puts a BAR RIG with two "spoons" & a small sinker. I asked "WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THAT ???" He said"CAST IT OUT & REEL IN " --------------- Well I just went on with a few sentences...telling the person...that is crazy & you will never catch anything with that type of set up................ His 1st cast ...the rig hits the water & BAM he gets a fish on IMMEADIATELY (just as it hit the water)  :o ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SHould add in this story: A really good buddy of mine yrs ago was fly fishing off his dock at Loon Lk as it was getting dark. Suddenly he starts yelling that he's got something on.... I came a running... TO OUR BIG SURPRIZE A SMALL BAT TOOK HIS FLY. I can still see the little thing on the dock... ears eyes fingers wings...If I remember right it got unhooked & it got to fly away............Proir posts has some great stories also !!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:30:35 PM by arimaBOATER »

Davey on the fraser

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »

Hooked a beautiful coho couple years back,, Dad netted the fish and took him away for me, there was a nice big school coming,, as I was rebaiting and casting out again I hear $H!T!!!!!!!!  He had left his bonker at his chair and decided to punch the fish out......  Long story short 'Dad hits like a girl'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its our honeyhole and its sandy with no rocks around......  I will never be unprepared again!!!! 

doja

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »

I watched 1 guy land and kill a pink. He put it in the holding hole in the river. I cautioned him that they can still flop around after being dead for 10 - 15 minutes. Just as I finished saying my bit the fish started to flop around and yup, back in the drink it went, completely dead.

I've yet to see this happen with a gutted fish so gut them right away.

I leaned this when weighing in my steel head at freds and when I put the fish on the scale and he touched it bang this thing was all over the place. It was dead for a good 10 - 15 minutes un-gutted.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:42:46 AM by doja »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 11:50:20 AM »

I was on a charter in Tahsis a few years ago and caught a nice Spring - 20lbs or so.

The guide bled the fish out and was leaning over to put the fish in the cooler on the swim grid and a combination of a gust of wind and roll of the boat caused the lid to close on the cooler.

The fish bounced off and went straight into the drink.

Luckily, we limited out for the day so losing the first fish was not a big deal.

Brian

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »

I watched 1 guy land and kill a pink. He put it in the holding hole in the river. I cautioned him that they can still flop around after being dead for 10 - 15 minutes. Just as I finished saying my bit the fish started to flop around and yup, back in the drink it went, completely dead.

I've yet to see this happen with a gutted fish so gut them right away.

I leaned this when weighing in my steel head at freds and when I put the fish on the scale and he touched it bang this thing was all over the place. It was dead for a good 10 - 15 minutes un-gutted.

I poke them thru the spine with a knife, they don't really flop much after the spinal cord is severed.  Much nicer to clean a fish that can't flop around, instead of vivisectioning it.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »

My buddy and I were fishing for pinks in 2007 in his boat infront of DuncanBar. This woman from shore catches a pink and drags it up on shore. She nails it with a rock. Than she nails it again, again, again etc etc. My buddy counted and she hit the thing in the head 25 times with the rock.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2009, 07:26:15 PM »

My buddy and I were fishing for pinks in 2007 in his boat infront of DuncanBar. This woman from shore catches a pink and drags it up on shore. She nails it with a rock. Than she nails it again, again, again etc etc. My buddy counted and she hit the thing in the head 25 times with the rock.

That's funny. ;D Must be her first fish and she didn't want it to get away.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2009, 08:00:13 PM »

That's funny. ;D Must be her first fish and she didn't want it to get away.

We thought the same thing. The reason she was doing it ( from what we guessed ) was that every time she hit it the fish moved and twitched so she kept hitting it LOL There must have been atleast 20-30 people on shore but nobody told her anything.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family