Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the lighter side of fishing  (Read 13334 times)

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
On the lighter side of fishing
« on: September 21, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »

It's obvious that the people on this site take fishing and fish related topics very seriously which is a very good thing but after posting a blurb today about fishing adventures with my 'newbie' wife while out for Pinks I thought it would be interesting to hear about some fishing MIS-adventures...... For instace a few many years ago while new to fly fishing I recall burying a parachute adams in my forehead on a back-cast and had to get the attention of my friend at the other end of the canoe to inspect it for severity before pulling it out.
  Look foreward to hearing your stories!

As soon as I can afford to go fishing everyday, it's time to retire.

cohojoe

Re: On the lighter side of fishing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 06:08:07 PM »

I buried a big Fly hook into my forearm while Bass Fly fishing .   Unfortunately I did not pinch the barb down because we were in Ontario way back in the early nineties.    My father in law drove me to the Kenora hospital where the doctor could not cut the hook because I was using Eagle Claw steelhead hooks.   He had to get the tow truck guy to loan his bolt cutter and it got done.   I was so embarassed to use up so much time at the Hospital,  my father in laws  whole evening waiting,  and me missing the best fishing.

go barbless or go home.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »

I recal a chilly and rainy day in november a few years ago. I had spent the morning fishing the nicomen slough for coho and the only thing I succeeded in doing was chill myself to the bone. However being relentless fishermen that my partner and I were we decided to stop at the stave on the way home to bag a couple dogs for the smoker.
 I was wearing my neoprenes and a converted pair of snow boots (insulated lining ripped out to make room for my wader feet) when I eagerly began to trot down the embankment underneath the bridge towards my partner who already had his line in the water. Not willing to let him get the first fish I quickened my pace with the less than adequate footwear and began to stumble on the rocks.  I made the decision to go down rather than break an ankle :o. When I looked down at the hand I used to break the fall I noticed my thumb in a 'less than natural' position but thankfully my hands were still frozen and I didn't feel much. I continued to fish and gave the only chum I landed to my friend and said goodbye.
  In the car my thumb began to thaw out infront of the heater and started to throb and swell to make a long and painfull drive home to White Rock. It remained twice it's normal size for 3-4 days and turned colors not to different from the Chum I caught that day.

Moral of the story.. wear proper footwear.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »

Spincasting for coho out of a boat. Snag up my lure and break off. Take out a brand new Croc from package, pinch the barb and toss it over the side only to realize that I hadn't tied it to my line yet. Take out another brand new Croc... :)

rides bike to work

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »

I decide to try an extra long leader with two large beads while bottom bouncing afew years ago.I was standing in the water and the current was going in the wrong direction wich made it difficult to pull the leader to my right hand side,when I casted the bead wiped me right in the back of my bare neck leaving a large welt i've never felt so lucky to not have hooked something I cant imagine what the 3.5 ounce bouncing betty and #1 hook would have done to my neck.I never used a leader over 6 ft since,and I feel I catch more fish.

Truecast

• I think I'm Snagged
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:13:27 PM »

my brother had a buddy snag his back while flossing, hit him with enough force to break the 10' leader and leave the hook in my brothers back, fortunate to have light leader, barbless hook (as he should) and long friendship ;). Pulled it out and kept going.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »

Always wear a belt when your waiting for your daughter to bring in her fish and the wife is behind the camera
Take the T out of Morton.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:06 AM »

;D ;D ;D

lude98r

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 12:20:14 AM »

Thats Funny!

hookme

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:34:48 AM »

LOL :D

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 07:08:16 AM »

Must be a Plumber by trade!  ;D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 07:22:22 AM »

Always wear a belt when your waiting for your daughter to bring in her fish and the wife is behind the camera

This pic makes me laugh my my friend off everytime I see it!
always a student

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 08:48:40 AM »

This pic makes me laugh my *** off everytime I see it!

Could you laugh HIS my friend off too, so we don't have to keep looking at it?!?  LOL   ;D

Spooner

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »

Fishing Johnstone straight with my cousin and a freind, almost every cast buddy and me are catching humpies.My cousin is swearing away so frustrated 'cause we had around 20 fish to the boat (all released :-) So I look down at his lure And he has no hook........ I let Dean know first , then after almost falling in the water we were laughing so hard, he figured it out....ROOKIE!!!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 08:52:31 AM »

Spincasting for coho out of a boat. Snag up my lure and break off. Take out a brand new Croc from package, pinch the barb and toss it over the side only to realize that I hadn't tied it to my line yet. Take out another brand new Croc... :)
Been there, done that with my last "Great FLY" that was really producing... tied it off to the tippet and then tossed the fly into the water to keep it clear of the boat/line...  It just kept sinking, and sinkng.... :(  Fishing sucked after that.