Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know of any TRUST WORTHY Transmission Shops?  (Read 13462 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Anyone know of any TRUST WORTHY Transmission Shops?
« on: June 11, 2007, 06:46:18 PM »

SO I was informed last week by one shop that my Transmission is on horrible shape and needs to be replaced immediately.  Now this came as quite a surprise to me, as I wasn't there to have the Tranny checked, and my mechanic who has driven my Exploder a fair amount has never said anything about it.  So after almost having to knock the A-hole out to get my keys from him, as he didn't want me to leave with MY truck, I went to another shop to get it checked.  That shop said that it was going, but wasn't horrible just yet.  I know that I am going to have to get a new transmission put in, but would like to go to a shop that does good work at a respectable price.  Any Ideas?  Thanks guys. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:25:23 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Anyone know of any TRUST WORTHY Transmission Shops?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 06:47:56 PM »

Ask Fishersak, I recall him telling me a story last year about visiting a place that he highly recommends for his transmission work.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »

Ask Fishersak, I recall him telling me a story last year about visiting a place that he highly recommends for his transmission work.
Thanks, hopefully he will post on here!! ;D

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 07:48:27 PM »

Hey Dave,haven't heard from you for while,watch out for those scammers regarding about your tranmission,sometime they try to sell you something you dont really need,it could be just as simply as band adjustment.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »

Hey Dave,haven't heard from you for while,watch out for those scammers regarding about your tranmission,sometime they try to sell you something you dont really need,it could be just as simply as band adjustment.
I have been around....

Thanks Big T!  That thought crossed my mind as well. ;)

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 08:05:24 PM »

I recomend these guys.  My transmission was acting up a bit (or so I thought)....the dealership wanted to change the whole thing at about 6 grand for a new one, or 3 for a rebuilt one!  Anyway I went to a bunch of garages and asked the question "what is the best transmission shop in Vancouver", and Wilf's kept comming up in the conversations.  So I made an appointment with Wilfs.  Anyway, I took the car in, it had some hessitation between the first and second gears....however, during the test drive with Wilf driving, the car didn't act up, but he agreed to look at it anyway.  He gave me a rental car to drive as he was gonna keep the car all the next day.  Long story short...they fully tested and took my transmission apart, and could not find a mechanical reason to explain my complaint (this mysterious hessitation that only happens when I am alone in the car :-[).  So when I went to pick the car up, what did they charge me?.......NOTHING...no diagnostic fee, no fee to cover the 40/day car rental they gave me...nothing.  Even though I insisted on at least paying for my rental car...he would not take my money, and only said that the problem was not the transmission but instead a faulty speed sensor malfunction (MUCH cheaper fix...done by the dealer).  They got nothing from me except my respect.  I was also told that if the replacement of the speed sensors did not do the trick...to come right back and they would do the whole thing over again!  Since then, I have sent several of my pals to the shop, and they all had positive repair experiences.  They may not be the cheapest...but I believe them to fair, and honest.

Dave if you want anymore info about my experience, pm me.....

Wilfs Transmissions Ltd
2250 Yukon St
Vancouver, BC  V5Y 3T2
Telephone: (604) 872-5347
www.wilfstransmission.com

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:10:47 PM »

I recomend these guys.  My transmission was acting up a bit (or so I thought)....the dealership wanted to change the whole thing at about 6 grand for a new one, or 3 for a rebuilt one!  Anyway I went to a bunch of garages and asked the question "what is the best transmission shop in Vancouver", and Wilf's kept comming up in the conversations.  So I made an appointment with Wilfs.  Anyway, I took the car in, it had some hessitation between the first and second gears....however, during the test drive with Wilf driving, the car didn't act up, but he agreed to look at it anyway.  He gave me a rental car to drive as he was gonna keep the car all the next day.  Long story short...they fully tested and took my transmission apart, and could not find a mechanical reason to explain my complaint (this mysterious hessitation that only happens when I am alone in the car :-[).  So when I went to pick the car up, what did they charge me?.......NOTHING...no diagnostic fee, no fee to cover the 40/day car rental they gave me...nothing.  Even though I insisted on at least paying for my rental car...he would not take my money, and only said that the problem was not the transmission but instead a faulty speed sensor malfunction (MUCH cheaper fix...done by the dealer).  They got nothing from me except my respect.  I was also told that if the replacement of the speed sensors did not do the trick...to come right back and they would do the whole thing over again!  Since then, I have sent several of my pals to the shop, and they all had positive repair experiences.  They may not be the cheapest...but I believe them to fair, and honest.

Dave if you want anymore info about my experience, pm me.....

Wilfs Transmissions Ltd
2250 Yukon St
Vancouver, BC  V5Y 3T2
Telephone: (604) 872-5347
www.wilfstransmission.com
Thanks a ton Fishersak, that was the kind of info I was looking for.  ;) You know what.....  I am having the same problem that you were, the hesitation between first and second, but only when the truck is warmed up.  Hmmmm....  I will definately check them out.  I will call them tomorrow and make an appointment to have it looked at. :) :)

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 11:14:04 PM »

I used to know Wilf, way back when.  He was a client of mine years ago.  He does good work, and has a solid rep in the industry.  My cousin's husband who also owns a tranny shop (and does good work too) has also vouched for him. 
President Club S. C. & P.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 01:03:07 AM »

Drive standard and you wont have problems like this. A clutch every couple hundred thousand km's for $500-600 and your good to go.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 12:27:05 PM »

Use who the dealers use... ;)...Benz Trans....604-463-3111....tell Rick..."Mike from Carter GM sent me".....

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »

Use who the dealers use... ;)...Benz Trans....604-463-3111....tell Rick..."Mike from Carter GM sent me".....

Is this the one on the corner of Lougheed and Laity. If it is then the RCMP use it too.  This shop has  been around for years.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:10:04 PM »

Wow, so many choices now....  Well, I guess I will start calling around, starting at the place closest to me, then work my way out.  I am propbably going to have to use the one that has the best price.  But at least that price will come from some reputable shops that you guys have mentioned.  Thanks for your help, and hopefully I will have a good happy story to tell when I am done. ;D  Well.... not that spending between $1500 and $2000 on the Exploder make me happy by any stretch, but you know what I mean. ;D

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »

Good Luck Dave, my peice of **** failed Air care again today
OUCH!! ???  It just may be the catalytic converter then....

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 08:46:26 AM »

Benz in Maple Ridge is top notch in my books. ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 05:05:03 PM »

Benz in Maple Ridge. Just had a trans done there and the price was great. My freind (who has the rep as the best trany man in the province) recomened them. The fact that they have the contract to service the trans for every Lordco in the province says allot. The only other one I would trust is Stan's in Van, but now you are talking bucks.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"