Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive pink schools Sept 6  (Read 13128 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Re: Massive pink schools Sept 6
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2007, 02:20:28 PM »

Gee whiz,, been off the thread a few days and this 'massive pink schools' thread has surely become a Massive one. It shows you how massive the readership of this forum is, hehe.  ;D

Sorry I won't name any particular spot in my posts because of the nature of the beast of a popular forum like this, unless the spot is Brownsville Bar which every body knows.  ;D

But Rod is right about pink fishing. No need to stick to any spot. Pinks swim through Richomd, N.West, Surrey, Langley and where have U. The important thing is to catch the right moment at the right tiime when the pink schools are thick, and that usually happens with rising tide. But there are people who swear they catch loads of fish with the out-going tide too. So, just find any good access point with a good flow and with a spot you can crack in and just try out your luck.

If you see a guy catching way more fish than any one around him, stop & watch him closely, like what type of terminal gear he uses, like spoon, spinner, plug, or fly, etc. Pay attention to the size, colour, metallic flashes, etc. Then watch how he presents it, such as distance he casts, how long he waits before he starts retrieving, and how fast he reels in. I mention this point because sure enough there was a guy doing just that on that day. At some stretch, he practically hook a fish with every cast, LOL.  When I ask him where he bought that lure, he told me he savaged from the river bottom, LOL. Sometimes a lure will out perform other lures because of the condition of the day, such as sunny or cloudy and how fast the current is flowing. Perhaps a very sunny day causes the fish to stay lower and so delaying retrieval or slowing it will let the lure sink lower, and so hehas more hook ups than other fishermen.  Another fisher told me he saw a guy hooked into roughly 50 pinks a few days earlier, way more than any one around. He wouldn't want to even mention what type of lure the guy used, LOL. I gues it takes a combination of factors, not just the lure. That is why it is important to observe the guy at the moment he is hooking so many fish and see why he is so much more successful. His technique may not be as effective when the condition changes.  Whatever it is, it is true that some fishers can out perform those around him on any given day.

Have a great pink season and tight line.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:43:09 PM by Steelhawk »

gheart008

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2007, 08:49:13 PM »

Good god, just got back from Saperton right now, was out there for 6 hours.... and nothing..... only saw maybe 4-5 pinks jump throughout the entire time there.... it was almost like the Pinks weren't coming through at all.

Was there from 1-7, the entire time the tide was coming in... what a waste of a day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2007, 08:53:35 PM »

It's never a waste of a day. That's why it's fishing, not catching. ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2007, 09:09:16 PM »

Was out today and got my limit within an hour  :)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

emac

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »

I was out as well this afternoon into evening and didn't have any success.  I heard an FN boat had a net across the river near the new west quay but I can't confirm.  That may explain why no fish were around in the area that was packed in a couple nights ago during the same tide.

Lex2000

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2007, 09:54:53 PM »

Hey Emac,

i saw the fishing boats too. it was about 4-5 of them that were going up & down the stream.
Around 5:30pm, i saw a sockeye jump and few pinks. no action on my side.
I was using gibson orange spoon...
guy any suggestion?  i'm a newbie to game.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2007, 10:26:15 PM »

Was out today and got my limit within an hour  :)

Which area of the river did you fish bbronswyk2000? I have heard of a slow day from friends. Some one said they saw lots of pinks but they did not bite. Strange?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2007, 10:42:17 PM »

Maple Ridge

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

gheart008

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2007, 08:00:57 AM »

I was out as well this afternoon into evening and didn't have any success.  I heard an FN boat had a net across the river near the new west quay but I can't confirm.  That may explain why no fish were around in the area that was packed in a couple nights ago during the same tide.

That explains a lot...

Does anyone know if many fish travel along the portion of the Fraser entering between the Airport and Richmond, passing Mitchell Island and under the Knight street bridge?  That portion eventually joins back up with the rest of the Fraser near New Westminster...

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »

me and wintersteel had a good weekend flyfishing for pinks in the lower fraser and no one was around, can't wait to get out again.
Fish on!

Tee

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2007, 08:37:39 AM »

Hi,

I went out as well for pinks on last Sat and Sun in the afternoon in Lower Fraser. On Sat, a school of pinks cruised by and many fishers got into them including me  ;D ;D. It was slow on Sunday however. We saw CO's on Sunday. They came out to check our licenses. It was quite a surprise to see one guy got his hands cuffed and was taken away by CO's. I don't know exactly what was going on as I was quite far away. I thought you only would get a ticket if you don't have a license while fishing. Does anybody have any idea why?

Edit: Pink croc did the work for me.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:50:31 AM by Tee »
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »

Too lippy with the CO's ?

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2007, 12:02:51 PM »

Hi,

I went out as well for pinks on last Sat and Sun in the afternoon in Lower Fraser. On Sat, a school of pinks cruised by and many fishers got into them including me  ;D ;D. It was slow on Sunday however. We saw CO's on Sunday. They came out to check our licenses. It was quite a surprise to see one guy got his hands cuffed and was taken away by CO's. I don't know exactly what was going on as I was quite far away. I thought you only would get a ticket if you don't have a license while fishing. Does anybody have any idea why?

Edit: Pink croc did the work for me.

If you have outstanding fines or previous offenses and have been served notice by the department that your license has been suspended you can be arrested on the spot. He/She has the chance to be suspended for long time if thats the case.Good on them. Make an example of the buttheads that continue to shirk the long hand of the law.

8)
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2007, 07:08:00 PM »

Hey don't be fooled; the "anything pink" advice is a myth. It has been my experince they can be vary selective in what they will hit. The best producers I have found are the "Happy Hooker" and a fly that Randy the Hatch Match'r developed (Can't tell you the name because the last time I talked to him he still hadn't named it. Catch Pinks like nothing else though). 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2007, 09:35:14 AM »

Newsman is right on,the "Anything pink" theory is just a general rule of thumb to start with.
 In clear water where the fish can see the presentation they can be darn right fussy especially when fish have swam past the 50 or so pinks baits before they got to see yours.
Changing size shape or colour when things are slow can make the difference even if its for just a couple of takes. For example the other day on the Fraser pink spoons just wasn't the ticket for me and the other fishers so I changed to a smallish,hammered croc and varied the retrieve from fast to slow to fast and started to get bites.

Yesterday I took out my #6RPL+ and started with a large fly that would stand out in the Fraser waters. An hour and a half later,nothing. Yet the spoon guys were getting sporadic bites.Got desperate so I changed to a different size and shape flies and began to get bites and limited out for the afternoon. :)
It ain't the roe bro'