Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave river Halloween day  (Read 1702 times)

Sinaran

Stave river Halloween day
« on: November 01, 2005, 09:55:49 AM »

headed to the stave today's afternoon, thinking of spending few hours of fishing before the rain falls again.  Got there by 11, not too busy, only about 6 anglers i could see around. I fished with pink wool no float, casted upstream and let it drifted down the river.  Guess what, first cast, fish on! couldn't believe i could get in the action right away... 5 mins fight and i pulled this slightly coloured chum doe in, it was hooked in the lip tip..  released it and back on fishing.  i found the advantage of fishing with wool now, the fish will bite them in mouth, not dorsal fin or tail...  :D  hooked into about 40 chums, 5 in the body and the rest in the mouth.  kept a very nice and fresh doe, with the silver and sea lice on it.  saw two coho jumping all afternoon long, and a guy fly fishing at the other side of the river hooked into a huge spring, just got hook off near the shore. expensive venture for me though.... the rain fell at around 3pm, and my $500 cellphone got wet... now it's not functioning anymore. darn....
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Stave river Halloween day
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 11:30:11 AM »

Right on but just a tip...if you want to fish for chums at the stave there is no need to bottom bounce, You can just short float your pink wool and basicly foul hook no fish and still get a great outcome.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sinaran

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 11:54:26 AM »

Right on but just a tip...if you want to fish for chums at the stave there is no need to bottom bounce, You can just short float your pink wool and basicly foul hook no fish and still get a great outcome.
yeah, i tried that for the first time yesterday, didn't know much about bottom bounce, just learnt from those guys at the river who've had lots of action.  i fished with the roe and float before, still foul-hooked fish a few times... :-\, too thick of them i guess. don't want to buy any more spoons so i guess i should just go with short floating wool and roe.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Sinaran

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 11:57:21 AM »

oh yeah, and saw a few young fishermen fishing there for roes. what they did was, kept only the does, cut them and got the roes, then left the fish carcasses on the shore.  waste of fish, i am sure that's an offence at fishing regulations.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 12:10:12 PM »

If they didnt take the fish home with them yes it is. The worst is how they get black caviar catch a sturgent cut it open, throw it back to have a nice day.
[

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 12:11:28 PM »

yup, that would be a no no.  It is illegal to wate your catch like that.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:22:35 PM »

Sinaran, that is indeed an offence.

When you witness such an incident at the Stave, please phone one of the following numbers:

ORR (Observe, record, report) Line: 1-800-663-WILD

Chilliwack Conservation Office: (604) 795-8422

Mission DFO office: 604-814-1055

Chilliwack DFO office: 604-702-2278

Your likelihood of foul hooking fish is bigger when you bottom bounce, especially if the river is thick with fish already. If you find yourself foul hooking fish when float fishing, just shorten up the float depth a bit. All salmon swim just above the river bed, and they look up when they feed. By drifting your wool just above the fish, your chance of hooking a biting fish is bigger. If you observe closely, most people who bottom bounce there are not getting the fish to bite. When the fish is not fouled, it is usually hooked near the gill plate, under the lower jaw, outside the jaw line, etc.

The Stave River unfortunately is a lost cause. Production of chum salmon stock and easy access in that system provide great opportunities for anglers of all ages, but most people (not all) are so caught up with catching fish, all rules and manners are thrown out of the book. During our DFO enforcement briefing last week, their observations reflect what I have just described. It's not hard to write up a couple of books of tickets whenever the officers do a patrol on the Stave.

redlad

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 03:28:42 PM »

Short floating is the way to go.  I live near the stave and when I go there I float roe with an 18 inch or less leader.  If the leader is 18" then have your lead about the same off of the bottom.  This keeps the roe in  the zone and you can have fun catching chum all day and very seldom will you foul hook a fish.