Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies for steelhead and salmon  (Read 8252 times)

awurban@msn.com

flies for steelhead and salmon
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:21:07 PM »

Hey guys I have seen a few questions about flies that work well and I just wanted to post my experience with some fly variations i started fishing quite a lot. I have been using bob arnold spade style flys and alec jackson variations of it. They have been working really well for both summer run steelhead and salmon and you can really bang them off the vice really quickly

one more cast

Re: flies for steelhead and salmon
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 03:33:12 PM »

I love those Limerick type of hooks. Are they a size 2?...nice ties.

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »

Oh, and these flies that you posted were tied by William Lovelace.

Don't know if you were implying that they are your ties or not ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:20:56 PM »

Nice patterns. I am also a fan of tying with Atlantic Salmon hooks.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

steve B

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »

Those patterns I like I like since this is a thread for steelhead and salmon im looking for some tips as to what color combinations and materials work for winter run steelhead not looking for specific patterns as i like to let my imagination run wild with my ties.  This will be my first year on the vedder for steelhead and there's nothing more satisfying than a steelie smacking a fly you tied yourself

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 10:20:55 PM »

Well I thought I would give these new rubber legs a try for tying something different. Hatch Matchr got in an order of these new rubber legs called wiggle legs and they seem to be the perfect color for tying steelhead flies. These are my first flies of many. They are called the Squidro.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:53:53 PM by Geff_t »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »

those legs look deadly

ray

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »

hey geff can you post a list of materials for your patterns, or would you be willing to sell some. I"ve got flies off you before and they worked great.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »

hey geff can you post a list of materials for your patterns, or would you be willing to sell some. I"ve got flies off you before and they worked great.

Hey Ray, I would be will to sell them. Just let me know what colors. They will run about $3.00 each. I will post up some other colors as soon as I tie them up in the next day or so. Here is my e-mail for when you are ready to let me know. gteboek@telus.net
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 05:55:17 PM by Geff_t »

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 09:11:36 PM »

Here are a couple more.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 09:30:24 PM by Geff_t »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »

Did those rubber legs come curly like that or did you shape them?

I bought a large bag of "living rubber" looks like the same stuff but mine is straight?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:05:44 PM »

Did those rubber legs come curly like that or did you shape them?

I bought a large bag of "living rubber" looks like the same stuff but mine is straight?

The Wiggle Legs come that way, I like them as they give more action. The Wiggle Legs are hard to come by, so far I have only seen them at Hatch Matchr

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 01:15:32 AM »

hey i was away on business for a bit sorry i didn't get a chance to respond those arent my ties I just copy them. Those rubber leg flies are very similar to Scott Howells squidro, Its basically just an intruder with rubber legs instead of ostrich plume or rhea. They last longer and are cheaper then other alternatives too. I think they have less resistance in the water and great movement too. They are great steelhead flies. Some people would point out that its just a copy of similar bass type flies but hey if it works on steelhead it works for me lol

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »

Yup they are like Scott Howells squidro fly.

Here are some more that I tied today.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »

Sure am loving these new Wiggle Legs. I just wish that the steelhead season would hurry up and get here  ;D

If anyone wants some of the Squidro flies I will tie them for $3.00each