Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser - pinks on the fly  (Read 3625 times)

Sir Snag-A-Lot

Lower Fraser - pinks on the fly
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »

I'm looking for a few options for tossing flies to the pinks, preferably from New West to Abbotsford.  I've tried Brownsville and the mouth of the Coquitlam in past years but usually ended up switching to chucking spoons in those spots.  Thanks.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Lower Fraser - pinks on the fly
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 11:27:59 AM »

Try Popular Bar (Glen Valley Regional Park ) - there is a nice wide sandbar there that should allow for a good back cast!

Plus I saw a guy fly fishing there 2 weeks ago - he was out-catching everyone else who was chucking spoons, bombs, etc..  :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

mcallagan

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »

Try Popular Bar (Glen Valley Regional Park ) - there is a nice wide sandbar there that should allow for a good back cast!

I've fly fished there and had a riot 2 years ago. Just watch for schools porposing and then start casting a bit up from them. I had so many strikes using any pink fly.

Be careful though cause pinks have soft mouthes and on the fly line the hooks come out really easily.

I mostly fished Duncan Bar which is at the furthest upstream part of the park.
http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/GlennValleymap.pdf

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 09:03:10 PM »

As a Langley resident, I have been to Crescent Island (Poplar bar) a half dozen times and have had a lot of action. The bar, especially just after the low, is huge and people can spread out, but as the tide comes in the bar is covered in water and people get bunched up on what is left, so watch the back cast.  The water is not very deep on the south side, but gets up to 14 feet deep along the North bank, but I find the fish are mostly in the shallower water. any way.  Now I am in my small dingy, so I have the option to move off from the crowds there, and will head up just off the bar where the flats are only 3-4 feet deep.  I hooked into a dozen fish last Sunday in the rain, before drifting down the bar.  I would drift just out of range of the guys casting on shore (100 feet) and cast back toward them and hook fish within a few metres of where they are.  So do not neglect that shallow water at your feet.  All my fish on Sunday were on a small pink and gold wolly bugger with a white bead.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »

Looks good guys.  Thanks. 

Has anyone ever tried the mouth of Kanaka Creek in Maple Ridge?

roseph

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »

they're pretty much everywhere in fraser right now so I wouldn't be surprised to find some there.  But from what I've heard all of the Kanaka Creek runs are pretty miniscule in size so I wouldn't spend too much time there myself. 

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02:44 AM »

I actually didn't know that Kanaka had a pink run of its own.  I was expecting to be targeting migratory fish there.  I was more wondering about the fishability of the location (ie. water depth, snags, backcast space, etc) since its close to home.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »

Since it is close to home, give it a go.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »

Has anyone ever tried the mouth of Kanaka Creek in Maple Ridge?

I walk my dog at this park quite regularly - I have seen some people fishing at the mouth - targeting the pinks (and other salmon) that swim by upstream.  I don't believe that the creek has any pinks that swim up.  I know that the chum and the occasional coho do.

I also have noticed that a couple of people have caught some pinks recently.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »

I gave that area a shot today for about an hour at low tide.   No snags and lots of casting space.  No fish either.