Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New set up  (Read 2689 times)

awurban@msn.com

New set up
« on: September 23, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »

Hey guys I tried an echo switch 10' 10" rod the other day with a 510 grain skagit head. I really liked it  so I had to have one. I havent landed any steelhead on it yet but if you are thinking about trying a siwtch rod, get out there an demo one you might just really like it. I was wondering if you guys have tried a skandi line on a switch rod. I am kind of looking to spool up another line that I could use to cast dry flys a bit more smoothly then the skagit

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: New set up
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 08:03:20 PM »

I tried a Scandi on 6wt switch and didn't like it, what I do really like is a Rio switch line, if you want a straight floater you can poke them out 80' no problem and I prefer not having to strip in a whole bunch of line every cast. The head is 55' and it cast's good with all or most of it out; I actually took some advice from someone and cut the head back 5' and now it's even better and not as overlined for overhead casting. Am going to try a 55' 5/6/7 windcutter on this rod next week and see how that is. Those switch lines will cast a 12' 7ips polyleader but that is about the limit (the scandi was much better), and its no fun with a bigger weighted fly. Nice line for summer steelhead imho but wtf do I know I'm a beginner. Some on also told me a single hand Rio gold a weight heavier can be a good line for drys with the switch.
Cheers,
Nick

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »

One other thing I found, the running portion on the switch lines was way nicer for chucking mends that the rio shooting line I paired with the scandi.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 11:31:54 PM »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »

I have a #6 and #8 Echo TR switch. Love both of them. I have a scandi for the #6 but haven't fished it yet. Skagits work well but a good line for them particularly for overhead casting is the Echo 40+. I've found chucking 70 & 80 foot casts all day is no prob with the 40+. I can do 100 if I single hand with a double haul.

Switches are the choice when you don't need a spey rod as they are lighter, overhead cast easily and have many of the advantages of the spey.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:11:47 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

I am going to try the airflow skandi 480 grain 34feet, I will let you know how it goes, I think it should work for what I want. I want it more for the summer run steelhead then the winter.  Thanks for the advice, I was trying to decide between a skandi and maybe a steelhead tactical head. I use rio running line right now and I like it, the only complain I have is that when its raining hard and my hands are soaked its hard to stop the running line with your index finger with out it slipping. Other then that it casts like a dream, I use to just use my single hander all the time so I suppose I could use it for summer run like I have in the past but I like how I need very little back cast room with my switch rod. To answer the question about where I am fishing for summer runs, its some place that you need to hike lots and you are in the woods, west cost vancouver island lol