Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing roe  (Read 5221 times)

Fishawn

Storing roe
« on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »

Hi all,
Just cured up a batch of roe. Was just about to vacuum seal and freeze it.  Is it better to freeze the roe with borax or just as is? I know guys like to store their eggs in borax, but will this dry out the eggs? What's the advantage of storing in borax? Thanks.
Also, how long will it keep in the fridge if I don't freeze?

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Storing roe
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »

It will be good for at least a week in the fridge. I don't like to keep mine in there more than a couple of weeks, but then again I usually use it all by then.

As for borax, I freeze mine in jars with borax. I find covering them in borax helps prevent freezer burn. I'm sure others will chime in though,  some people just cure it and vacuum seal it before putting it in the freezer (no borax).  Matter of preference and confidence in the end product I suppose.

Animal Chin

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »

Glad you started this thread. Even though I've read previous years versions, but I'm still unclear.

I cured and froze mine in jars in borax with some. I also wrapped other batches in card deck sized chunks loosely in saran wrap, gently stacked them in a tuperware container and placed it in a sealed bag... I'm not sure which will work out better.

Another thing I wasn't sure of was whether to dry it first before freezing or just freeze after cure and dry for desired texture once needed. I thought the latter made more sense.

I also vacuumed sealed mine one year with disastrous results. Make sure the roe is completely frozen before attempting.. note that cured roe takes a lot longer to freeze completely. I just ordered a jar sealer attachment for my foodsaver so I'm going to do it that way instead of using bags.

Stuff is like gold. Killer roe is awesome.

Hope I didn't hijack your thread. 

jacked55

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:26 PM »

I dry my roe out completely to desired firmness before I freeze it. I also sprinkle a generous amount of borax over it before I vaccuum seal it. Works great for me.

Fishawn

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »

I dry my roe out completely to desired firmness before I freeze it. I also sprinkle a generous amount of borax over it before I vaccuum seal it. Works great for me.
Do you notice a difference in the quality of the roe when it's packed in borax?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:16:06 PM »

Procured eggs lasted over a month in my fridge and still look like they were in great shape. There was no problem hooking the jacks with it.
The Bigger The Better!

Ian Forbes

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »

The best plan is to store a bag of fresh roe under the seat of a former friend's car before he goes away on holidays.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »

The best plan is to store a bag of fresh roe under the seat of a former friend's car before he goes away on holidays.
That would be great to see what happens when they get back home. Lol
I put a tuna sandwich in the head liner of a coworkers work truck. Works great. Lol

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Ian Forbes

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »

That would be great to see what happens when they get back home. Lol
I put a tuna sandwich in the head liner of a coworkers work truck. Works great. Lol

Years ago when I worked for the Ministry of Forests we were given little Pinto Fords to drive. One of the guys was coming back from Sechelt just before the long weekend in May. It turned into a hot weekend and the Pinto sat in the compound for almost a week before the next driver was going to sign it out... Not so fast buddy! The previous guy had bought some shrimp and one bag slide under the front seat. The little car had to have ALL its upholstery replaced and even then you could still smell it.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:01:16 PM »

Procured eggs lasted over a month in my fridge and still look like they were in great shape. There was no problem hooking the jacks with it.

Jacks eat anything though...

I like storing my bait in glass mason jars after I have boraxed the roe to my liking. I fill them up to about 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the rim with roe and then pour in some borax. I compress the borax with my thumb, stick a match in the center and light it with a lighter then quickly seal the jar. The lit match will burn up any oxygen and create a vacuum and seal the jar very well. I have a jar that is coming up to 5 years old soon and am looking forward to popping the seal to see how well it has lasted as it looks great from the outside of the jar.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:19:01 PM »

I already have a vacuum sealer/foodsaver and I just ordered the jar sealer from foodsaver. They're on sale for $10. I'll likely do it this way from now on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smd-o47REQM

This is the geek part, not necessary to watch..shows jar sealer vacuum effectiveness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TpAazyiJzs
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 11:25:48 PM by Animal Chin »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »

Jacks eat anything though...

I like storing my bait in glass mason jars after I have boraxed the roe to my liking. I fill them up to about 1 1/2 - 2 inches from the rim with roe and then pour in some borax. I compress the borax with my thumb, stick a match in the center and light it with a lighter then quickly seal the jar. The lit match will burn up any oxygen and create a vacuum and seal the jar very well. I have a jar that is coming up to 5 years old soon and am looking forward to popping the seal to see how well it has lasted as it looks great from the outside of the jar.
After it is sealed do you just store it on a shelf or in a fridge?

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 08:08:54 AM »

After it is sealed do you just store it on a shelf or in a fridge?

I forgot to mention the freezer lol
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.