Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hazardous Parking Area @ Peg Leg  (Read 4744 times)

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
Hazardous Parking Area @ Peg Leg
« on: August 08, 2005, 04:44:47 PM »

Was out there today to scout out this area. Looks like some people are trying to discourage us from fishing over here. These idiots have been spreading a large load of nails all over the parking lot entrance area on the right side. Just be careful when you get there and I would suggest if anyone has one of those magnetic pick-up devices you could save a lot of misery for some unaware victims. >:(

By the way, still not wadeable to the outer bank unless you're a strong swimmer or have a boat..

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
Re: Hazardous Parking Area @ Peg Leg
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 05:06:33 PM »

Really? I was just there a few minutes ago and didn't notice anything, although I didn't look  ;D. I would believe it though, as there are a bunch of wood stumps there as well making it more difficult for vehicles to get in. The water is still to deep to wade.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 09:05:35 PM »

who ever dumped the nails are a bunch of morons >:(

Lew Chater

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:13:53 PM »

Nails are becoming a problem in many of the riparian areas. Most of them come from the parties that happen on the river banks as the participants bring in loads of pallets to burn for their campfires and these pallets are loaded with nails. Many of the businesses leave these pallets outside for people to take for wood and most of these party smashers know where to get them. There are areas on the Vedder that are covered in nails also from these pallets. A good strong magnet would be a good idea to remove some of them. I was at Peglegs looking around yesterday, and anywhere you see black areas, look out for nails. :-[
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

Bushwacker

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 10:47:41 PM »

I didn't see any charred areas to show any signs of burning. Actually if you stayed in your vehicle for a look around it is quite probable you won't notice anything unusual. I happened to walk over to some old fella (a tourist from Quebec) who was enjoying the scenery and that's how I noticed all those long 3" nails scattered all over,  must be in the hundreds. They are there to do damage so be careful.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 11:39:36 AM »

Nails are becoming a problem in many of the riparian areas. Most of them come from the parties that happen on the river banks as the participants bring in loads of pallets to burn for their campfires and these pallets are loaded with nails. Many of the businesses leave these pallets outside for people to take for wood and most of these party smashers know where to get them. There are areas on the Vedder that are covered in nails also from these pallets. A good strong magnet would be a good idea to remove some of them. I was at Peglegs looking around yesterday, and anywhere you see black areas, look out for nails. :-[
A project Lew, to have these used pallets sent by the buisnesses to some other place to be recycled.
I am sure the fellow in the DQ the other day puts them out as well. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 01:58:17 PM »

Do we need a river cleanup for nails ? Morons

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 02:42:31 PM »

Looks like some people are trying to discourage us from fishing over here.

who would benefit from discouraging fisherman?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 03:23:51 PM »

As we see from Lew's post, it's probably just partiers that burn pallets.  It's always nice to read a conspiracy into things, but I always had it explained to me, that we shouldn't blame things on evil that can be explained by stupdidity.  ::)

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »

I've seen the nails also. A whole lot of them have never been used before.  I determined this by looking for deformation on the heads of the nails (hammer marks) and if there are any bend to them. 

Conclusion: They end up there either because some people are doing it on purpose or a lot of people accidentally dropping and loosing them.

Who would want to cause damage to vehicles of sportfishermen? ??? ??? ???
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 09:25:42 AM »

Who would want to cause damage to vehicles of sportfishermen? ??? ??? ???

Other fishermen who want the area for their exclusive use.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:49:53 PM »

its not as bad as it seems,was there this morning you can tell where people have had bomb fires just don't park near it as it's full of nails and broken beer bottles.could use a good clean up though