Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink fishery  (Read 2374 times)

EricBou

Pink fishery
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:15:00 AM »

Hello...

I have an 8 yr old boy and I wanted to take him fishing for pinks... easy fishery to get a someone hooked on fishing!!!

I am trying to navigate the convoluted salmon regulations...

I see only Harrison and Squamish River listed... I understand they are listed under "Salmon Limits, Openings and Closures"...

At this moment the Fraser is out...

Where else (lower mainland and wading) can you take a young boy fishing for pinks even if it is only C&R...?

Thanks

DanL

• Old Timer
Re: Pink fishery
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:47:25 AM »

Squamish is still your best bet of hooking up during a walk & wade, though it is C&R now. It's a bit early for the Fraser tribs. Give it a couple weeks.

I see only Harrison and Squamish River listed... I understand they are listed under "Salmon Limits, Openings and Closures"...

You are looking at the right section. FWIW the regs can be worded a bit confusingly. The default limit is 0, but unless a water is listed as "No fishing for salmon" like you noted the Fraser is currently, then you can C&R there.

So for instance, while the regs for the Vedder makes no mention of pinks, you can still C&R them. The end result is no different than the Squamish which currently lists pink as "non-retention"

NothingToSnagAbout

Re: Pink fishery
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »

Squamish 100%. I hooked 12 landed 8 yesterday. there are a lot more fish in the system with retention closed