Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunglasses Recommendation?  (Read 5067 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Sunglasses Recommendation?
« on: June 10, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »

My dad wants a pair of polarized sunglasses for father's day. He has a very large head. When we wear the paper hats in the Christmas crackers, his always tears at the back.

Can anyone recommend a brand of polarized sunglasses that are on the wider side? Hoping to spend between $50 and 100 dollars.

hammer

Re: Sunglasses Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »

How big of a head? Like Charlie Brown? I did a reasonable deal on the a Smith optics website. Sometimes a Columbia has some good deals. MEC has some budget friendly lines too

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 05:56:46 PM »

How big of a head? Like Charlie Brown?
Not far off ::) MEC's a good tip, I forgot they have house brand sunglasses.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 06:19:41 PM »

I just bought a pair of polarized Oakley sunglasses to fit my fat head. My hat size is 7 3/4 in.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 06:28:27 PM by Wiseguy »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:33:18 PM »

If you're not super picky on looks, I'd highly recommend these (yellow/amber lens):

https://www.amazon.ca/Fisherman-Eyewear-Vantage-Sunglass-Polarized/dp/B00CJTCXA0

I own 7 pairs, bought as many as I could before wholesale sports went out of business. They are "cheap," but are by far the best polarized lenses I've ever had. They outperform every type of expensive pair of glasses I've used or tried. I won't go with anything else personally. Unless you're picky on how they look (fashion over function) these are the best around imo.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 09:41:38 PM »

Something cheap. Spend $50 or less. Cabelas has you covered or maybe a gas station. It hurts to lose a pair of $200 glasses to the bottom of a lake or left on to roof of a car. Ive done it. Twice.

GordJ

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 06:35:25 AM »

Yeah, nothing says “Love you Dad” like a pair of gas station sunglasses.

obie1fish

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »

Maui Jim has some good pairs for fellow melon heads. I have a pair of Maui Readers, with magnification at the bottom. It really helps me when I tie knots. I like the amber colour lenses for fishing.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »

Another vote for cheap - and might I suggest multiple pairs so he can have one amber and one darker pair?  These Spiderwire glasses are unfortunately named "Terror Eyes" - what were they thinking?  I like the frameless lenses because my face tends to fog up everything that is too enclosed, and the bridge is really comfortable on my huge nose. I buy these in multiples, because I don't like to worry about breaking or losing them:
https://smile.amazon.com/Spiderwire-SSGTEMCA-HA-SpiderWire-Terror-Sunglasses/dp/B00VS0LSSO/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3LHV6IH7V1RVE&dchild=1&keywords=spiderwire+sunglasses+polarized&qid=1591898662&sprefix=spiderwire%2Caps%2C617&sr=8-2

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »

I would be happy with whatever my kids get me for Father's Day! The best thing is having them both here at the same time and having a good meal and a glass of wine.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

stsfisher

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 01:57:51 PM »

I have been ordering these since 2015 : https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/BRAZEAU-POLARIZED---SKULL-SMOKE/p/WPCTXB416S

They double as a safety glass which I like because they are very durable.
Not a huge head but not small?
There are definitely better glasses out there, but they do what I need them to do.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 06:49:26 PM »

If you're not super picky on looks, I'd highly recommend these (yellow/amber lens):

https://www.amazon.ca/Fisherman-Eyewear-Vantage-Sunglass-Polarized/dp/B00CJTCXA0

I own 7 pairs, bought as many as I could before wholesale sports went out of business. They are "cheap," but are by far the best polarized lenses I've ever had. They outperform every type of expensive pair of glasses I've used or tried. I won't go with anything else personally. Unless you're picky on how they look (fashion over function) these are the best around imo.

Thats a pretty strong reccomendation.
Thanks.I just ordered a couple pairs.

hammer

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 08:46:23 PM »

Thanks Everyday,
I do a lot of creeping and climbing with polarized on my hat. I wear my good ones for stuff like beach, boat, or lake...which is less than half of my fishing. I have toasted more than one pair of expensive ones. Combined  with the fact that forget them, a few of these would go long way.

hammer

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 08:47:10 PM »

I have been ordering these since 2015 : https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/BRAZEAU-POLARIZED---SKULL-SMOKE/p/WPCTXB416S

They double as a safety glass which I like because they are very durable.
Not a huge head but not small?
There are definitely better glasses out there, but they do what I need them to do.
Nice

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 09:23:09 PM »

They should defund DFO