Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trio of lakes - Canada day long weekend  (Read 1156 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Trio of lakes - Canada day long weekend
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »

Mary and I headed up to Hope for a stay at the coquihalla campground along the river with plans of fishing kawkawa lake for kokanee, Friday night after setting up we headed over to kawkawa and fished in the rain for a couple of hours and had no luck at all. Saturday we awoke and the sun had made its return so I was pretty sure we would get into some fish, we got to the lake around 8am and there was already a wakeboarder bombing around, we trolled flies over to a spot on the lake that Ive seen produce fish,switched up to krill and fished bottom for a long spell but the fish were not hungry "even though we were marking big schools on the finder". By this time the small lake had 6 waterskiers buzzing around so we decided to try and find a new lake. Next stop would be Lake of the Woods, a small lake just outside of Hope beside the highway. Right away we could see some nice looking fish jumping in the middle of the lake, but to our suprise there was no place to easily launch a boat. But I was determined to catch something so I tried fishing from shore with a spinning rod, as soon as the bait hit bottom I was into a fish, but it was a bullhead! not really what I was looking for, five casts and five bullheads later we called it a day and spent the rest of the afternoon scouting for Sundays fishing destination. Sunday morning we arrived at a very fishy looking lake that we had stumbled upon while out driving around the country side, as we pass one of the only two other boats on the lake I inquire about it, only to find that the lake does in fact contain fish, and that some of the fish get very large!  The other boats were anchored at a creek mouth that entered the lake so we gave them some space and anchored up as well, it wasn't long and the other boat was into some very nice rainbows averaging 2-5 pounds. Our only fish of the day would come when I was on shore exploring and taking pictures, at first I heard a splash and then some shouting, I look back and my girlfriend has a fish on, she lands a beautiful little wild rainbow of around 2 pounds, a few pics and its back on its way to grow bigger. That would be the end of our fishing adventures but we did do some more exploring along the Skagit river and areas planning our next trip to paradise.

here are a few photos of our adventure

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/559717192nhpPmJ

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Trio of lakes - Canada day long weekend
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »

Nice report and some beautiful scenery.  Sounds like a pretty good time, even with the bullheads and only one trout :)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Re: Trio of lakes - Canada day long weekend
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 08:59:03 PM »

thanks for the report. nice fish