Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best way for curing and storing single eggs  (Read 1635 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Best way for curing and storing single eggs
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:55:43 AM »

I have been using mostly chunks when fishing with roes. But recently I got some nice chum single eggs that I want to cure and preserve. Rodney posts this excellent article about his and Marco Li's recipes. Both recipes are excellent. I prefer Marco Li's way because it does not require using Borax (which used to dry my hands badly after contact with it). But Marco's way require storing it in anise oil. Where do you buy that? Is that absoultely necessary for storage. Following his steps, I have processed the single eggs to the point that they are quite bouncy and rubbery. I intend to just put them in a jar and refrigerate without the anise oil . Will this store long without the anise oil or there are other substitues (if I cannot buy the oil locally)? I also intend to use the eggs for targeting trout instead of buying power bait. Does anise oil and its strong flavour help or hurt the eggs as a trout bait? Any comment is higly appreciated. Thanks.

Here is Rodney's article:  http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2001/1101_03.html

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Best way for curing and storing single eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 11:49:07 AM »

Well assuming trout are like Steelhead I would say the anise oil would help in increasing hook-ups. It helps mask human scent and for some reason the fish seem to like it, it also smells really good (licorice smell). You should be able to buy it at a grocery store like Save on Foods.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »

You do not need anise oil to store your single eggs. If you choose to use it, you get it from any pharmacy.

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »

Its called Star Anice in the grocery store. Its in the baking isle beside the vanilla extract

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:21:56 AM »

Not sure about eggs prepared with his recipe but I store mine in a super saturated salt brine.  Marco's recipe looks interesting will have to give it a try.