Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Express Reel Service  (Read 4423 times)

andrewscag

Express Reel Service
« on: January 17, 2016, 11:49:53 AM »

Anyone used these guys?  I have a few reels that could use a tune up and Mike's is usually a long wait.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Express Reel Service
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »

I've been using Kevin for about 5 years. HIGHLY recommend him! I find him to be 100% honest and all of my reels have always come back buttery smooth. To give an example of his honesty, several times I've taken him a reel and said something like "I think the X is worn out and needs replacing." Say the drag washers or whatever. On more than one occasion he has said, nope, it's fine I just gave it a good clean and lube and it's totally fine. He could have easily replaced the part and I would not have argued as I was the one who suggested it in the first place.

I don't think he's that cheap, but you DO get what you pay for. If he just takes the reel apart, cleans and lubes it, I think it's about $45 bucks. He'll try and sell you on a "super tune" where he buffs all of the friction points with a Dremmel buffer wheel. I think it's an extra 5 bucks, maybe a bit more. I would recommend going for this as the reel will come back SO smooth, like better than the reel was new smooth. Typical bill after taxes would be $55 bucks or so with the super-tune.

Email him at info@expressreelservice.com

He works out of his home so make sure you show up during his working hours. Oh and he only takes cash, no debit or credit. This is a bit of a pain for me I just make sure I get the amount before I pick up my reel(s) and make sure I bring enough cash.

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »

Well posted Old Timer!

Danny21

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:09:46 PM »

Anyone used these guys?  I have a few reels that could use a tune up and Mike's is usually a long wait.
Well said Spawn Sack, I have only had positive dealings with Kevin as well. He is honest and does good work.

andrewscag

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 07:37:23 PM »

Thanks guys.  I'll give him a shot.  Appreciate the advice.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 12:31:25 PM »

is Kevin going to re-open? he was great...

jimstone

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »

Took an old abu 6000 in to Mikes Reel Repair for service including drag washers on Monday this week about 1:30pm and it was done by 4:00pm.  Picked it up first thing Tuesday morning. This is probably the tenth time ive used Mike and half of those times were one day turnarounds. Couple years ago he fixed my Curado 300 in two days and it was mid October. Prices seem reasonable. just my 2 cents.jim

santefe

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 02:58:28 PM »

I've taken reels in to Mikes several times, most recenlyt they fixed it while I waited and the other time went to a nearby cafe for coffee and toast for about an hour.

Paulo

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »

What happened to Kevin?

avid angler

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2021, 10:04:16 PM »

He told me he’s out of the business.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2021, 10:30:08 AM »

That's too bad. I dealt with him once and found him great to deal with.

Although now I'm kicking myself for not buying that second bail spring! I needed a bail spring for my venerable Sedona spinning reel and only he had one. In fact he had two. I bought one, and declined the offer to buy the second. Doh!

Was his home/business flooded?

stsfisher

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2021, 01:37:46 PM »

That's too bad. I dealt with him once and found him great to deal with.

Although now I'm kicking myself for not buying that second bail spring! I needed a bail spring for my venerable Sedona spinning reel and only he had one. In fact he had two. I bought one, and declined the offer to buy the second. Doh!

Was his home/business flooded?
he shut it down well before the flood. I tried contacting him in late September but he was not operating at that time.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »

that's too bad. Once I took a pair of boots back to get new felt and he did great work. I don't need much service on gear reels but my one or 2 experiences with M's service wasn't up to what I hoped for. It was nice when there was some competition.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Paulo

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »

This is a real shame. Good, honest guy and good work. I used him a number of times over the years for reels and felt sole replacement. Big box gonna win again and we are all the worst of for it.
Good luck to you Kevin no matter your pursuits and a Merry Christmas.