Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommend any local fly fishing areas?  (Read 3664 times)

noobfisher

Recommend any local fly fishing areas?
« on: July 25, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »

Being new to fly fishing I'm looking for areas in the lower mainland that would be good for fly fishing ... Lots of room, no trees etc :). I'm up for anything my 5 wt can handle .... Wouldn't mind logging a fee hours locally before investing a lot of time and money and lakes/ rivers further out.  Thanks for any general pointers :) not picky about species either plan to catch and release anything I'm lucky enough to hook  8)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Recommend any local fly fishing areas?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

head out to the Vedder with some small dry flies and small to medium nymphs and target some steely smolts. You may even fluke into a bigger rainbow doing this. Just cast along the slow/slack water and current seams where food would float downstream and see what you connect with. I sometimes bring my 4wt along when i go looking for springs, either i get my spring and then have a bit of fun with the little ones or usually i get bored and just catch some small ones to break the boredom of the day LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fishing in Vancouver

• Guided Fishing Trips
    • Vancouver Fishing Trips
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:47:15 PM »

Try flyfishing for pinks off one of the saltwater beaches when they show up good numbers....the 5 weight can handle it. Or try a local stocked trout lake.

noobfisher

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:06:42 AM »

Any particular beach you find particularly fly friendly?  ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »

If u go salt make sure you rinse everything after.

Check rods page re: fishing spots http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/index.html

noobfisher

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »

head out to the Vedder with some small dry flies and small to medium nymphs and target some steely smolts. You may even fluke into a bigger rainbow doing this. Just cast along the slow/slack water and current seams where food would float downstream and see what you connect with. I sometimes bring my 4wt along when i go looking for springs, either i get my spring and then have a bit of fun with the little ones or usually i get bored and just catch some small ones to break the boredom of the day LOL

Sounds like a good plan, appreciate the tips!   ;D

noobfisher

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »

Is a 5 wt to light for the Vedder?

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »

No. A 5wt will be fine for Steelhead smolts and resident 'bows. Use a light enough tippet so that an incidental Red Spring will snap you off and not snap your rod.

Preliator

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »

I've never been to the Vedder and am not sure what techniques to use as I am also quite new to fly fishing. When fishing nymphs, do you guys tend to use an indicator? Does the style or condition of the water play a factor when determining if you will be using an indicator or not? I have read that some people use them almost exclusively while nymphing, but it seems to me that if you have a shallow, clear flow, the splash of a bright indicator would do nothing but spook the fish.

Also, any tips for effectively casting with weighted patterns and/or indicators?

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »

was just out on the vedder tossing a fly looking for some bigger residents (haven't come across one yet but im determined)
i hooked up with 10-15 steelie smolts in about an hour and a half and it was still the heat of the day. ranging from 4-8 inches i'd say
I know there are bigger ones as well as dollies. going to continue searching until i find them. the hunt is half the fun
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 10:34:25 AM by fishfulthinkin »

Centerpinner

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »

Try the Seymour River mouth for Pinks or try the Cap for steelie smolts...

Centerpinner