Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back 2 back 2 back, March madness 3-8-07  (Read 4482 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Back 2 back 2 back, March madness 3-8-07
« on: March 08, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »

So was all by my lonesome today, Met up with a fellow FWR member who bought my Islander off me and then headed out...Hit a run that Rick and I played on Sunday and the visibility was only about 2 feet or so, very funky looking .... but hey, it's water. No one else was out around 8:30 so I wasn't sure if the guys had fished it already or given up...
Nothing was up there and I fished my way down the run...Thought I'd give a lower run that was vacant as well a shot and wandered down there..
Fished a big roe bag with no interest...decided to try a new spinner the Jerry the spoon man hooked me up with yesterday...Just let it drift down the end and held...and WHAM!!! Rod is bent over and a BIG boy is jumping like crazy....I'm thinking WOW!!! this sucka is big and no one is here to help me this time...Put the clicker on the pin...remember to let it take line...It's going ballistic...and it's still going ballistic....but my rod is straight up and down....I start reeling while watching this pig jumping in front of me...and BUSTED leader....
The F word echoed down the run and an older gentleman looked up from his spey rod and waved...Well, here we go again, I think,,,,Dummy, you didn't check your leader after putting on the spinner....Take a few deep breaths, Call Rickardo no fish around, and whine to him about my exploits....We laugh for a bit and I figure Oh Well, better then nothing....So, I light a big stoogie and hook up another spinner....I move up the run a bit and am swinging the blade through..and I hook a really nice log....bye bye blade...
I decide, If the buck has a sore lip and looked like he was headed for Yarrow, maybe a Doe would be still around...Or so I am told....I put on a nice big Roe sack and fish it through a few times...I'm just about to switch back to a blade when again WHAM, float down and silver bar jumping...Not as big as the others but still, What a fight and Ariel show....I finally after about 5 false landings, bring her in close enough to realize she's a hatchery and I need Roe and a Bar B Q dinner tonight...Bonk and cleaned...I'm on my way home...Finished the cigar in her memory, asked the old spey guy for a shot...and I'm home after two hours out...Hmmmm my back didn't ache today???

by the way, she just came off the bar b q and man is she sweet tasting!!!

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Back 2 back 2 back, March madness 3-8-07
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 05:20:36 PM »

Awesome job Paul, looks like you are getting the hang of it!!  Awsome fish, awesome pics!! ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 06:03:13 PM »

your wife must be happy to finally see some fish on the bbq  after all those hours spent on the flow.

MERC

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 06:04:26 PM »

Good job buddy!  Guess you're a top rod now!  ;D  You might have to give me some pointers!   ;D Or at least order some more cigars!  JR's got some Fuentes in stock and damn!  Those Chateau Fuentes are looking mighy tasty!  
President Club S. C. & P.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:11:03 PM »

nice fish man

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »

great report and what a nice fish! Congrats. This must be upper river action as the lower river was reported by the tackle shop people to have only 6" visibility

Hook Set

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 06:44:37 PM »

Congrats another successful day, and another beauty.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 06:50:48 PM »

Funny the back doesn't hurt when you catch your suppper :) BTW what kind of line do you have on your reel ?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »

Funny the back doesn't hurt when you catch your suppper :) BTW what kind of line do you have on your reel ?

I'm using Izzorline...I have 12lb on for the light rod...Love the stuff, can actually see it...and it's tough..

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 07:15:11 PM »

I guess now we are gonna need a new name for you TOP ROD !! you deserve the success after all the time you have put in !
I am glad you finally got to take some fish home to the O'le Lady  ;D ;D ;D congrats again man
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »

Congrat to you Xgolfman,nice pictures,Sure you got better luck when you fish by yourself :D :D

NYY

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:24:06 PM »

I've been watching your pain in the hunt for STEEL over the last little while ;) I must admit your persistence has payed off!!! good for you. I've been chasing for almost 3 years and not a touch :-[ thanks for the inspiration. You've finally made me make my first post ;D

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »

Paul, how you like the new rod??/

got fish

• 7-11 steelhead
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 07:42:28 PM »

nice fish paul!!...by the way were you fishing that couple runs i showed you the other day?

Eightball

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 08:01:36 PM »

Congrats X!!!!! Putting in the time pays off. Looks like you are learning to handle the pin pretty good.
Now you are catching fish on both sides of the border.  :)