Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder report for friday mar.10th  (Read 1094 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
vedder report for friday mar.10th
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:14:07 PM »

Well I'm posting this mainly so that there is something at least here for you guys to read..i know it bugs me when i have to work and not hear what's happening on the river...I started out a little later then normal as i had to make sure a customer paid a bill, so wasn't at the Vedder till around 10. Weather was very nice all day..a little breezy but sunny and warmer then i would have expected with all the snow we got yesterday and today in spots....

I know a buddy was up yesterday and got two and his friend one and i talked to a guy today that said he had eleven on yesterday...i saw him roll one today..i think I'm not only cursed for steelhead so far but it rubs off on others when I'm around....

I wanted to start lower today, like above the K. Wilson bridge on the Yarrow side but by 10am the lots were full of cars and trucks...first time I've seen them stacked up in there this winter...So i moved up above lickman, again on the yarrow side. I was surprised that there wasn't too many guys there...Just me with my fly rod and another guy with his spey rod...He said he had been down lower and that all the trucks and cars i saw had all showed up and crowded him out...anyways, he took an upper section and  I tried a lower one...fished it through with a couple different or three patterns but no luck...walked up and watched him for awhile, he had no luck as well but I'm honestly amazed at how much water the spey guys can cover and how it seems their lines are never out of the H20....very interesting to watch...while a 4wt is going to be my next purchase i can't help but think the spey might not be a wiser choice then my 9wt one hander...Oh well, I'm just pissing and moaning cause I'm 0 for a dozen now with it on the Vedder...

I ended up moving up from him to a section with a deep slot that wasn't too concussive for me but excellent for bait casters...that's where i saw the guy roll a decent looking steelie...gabbed for a bit with a couple guys there and left them too it and worked the end and section that the spey guy had vacated...
Fished that section pretty hard but no luck, so thought to hell with it, I'm heading up river to a few spots that shouldn't collect "flys" as quick...

Heading up, i realized i hadn't eaten yet today and low and behold there's Woody's on my right..i yanked it in and had an excellent burger and good talk with Steve, which put my day back on a more positive track...Damn though I'll tell you this, you don't leave there hungry...i was so full i thought i might have to have a little tip over but luckily a quick hand full of Vedder woke me back up....(Nice meeting you Steve and great chow)...

Tried a spot up river I've wanted to for a bit and no people were around which was nice...Hit it pretty hard with 5 different patterns but no luck again...shut her down finally just after 5pm as i couldn't feel my feet anymore...very very nice day on the flow though I'm pitching a no hitter still...

Stopped by Reaction on my way home for some materials to tie things that don't catch anything but are a lot more fun then standing over a three foot putt...found out I'd fished the wrong side of the last spot i was at (OF COURSE) and got a nice hint on where to fish it the next time..many thanks to those guys..Meant to hit Chilliwack fly as it was recommended i talk to the master about fly fishing...but i was late off the river and didn't think they would be open as i drove by Fred's and they were closed so I'll be looking in there in the future too...

Sorry i don't have anything positive to show for my efforts or any good pic's of fish...all i can take are scenery ones.. :-[ But I'm sure this weekend will be productive for you guys and gals..Good luck
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 09:20:51 PM by golfman65 »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: vedder report for friday mar.10th
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:21:44 PM »

Appreciate the report Golfman

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: vedder report for friday mar.10th
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 11:53:17 AM »

Thanks for the report.  Nice read.  Don't be too discouraged about not hooking up yet.  Going after those steelies with the fly is definitely more challenging than with the gear.  Our chances of getting them on the fly should only get better as the water warms up.  When you do get one - it'll be worth it (although I think it's worth going out anyway!).  In fact - I should be out there right now - DOH!  Bye the way - what kind of set-up (lines, leaders, etc) do you use?  Maybe I can give you a tip... ;).