Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is a "beek"?  (Read 14457 times)

Nina

• Administrator
Re: What is a "beek"?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 11:57:52 PM »

Woohoo, who's the biggest beak now? I always wanted to be able to fly....does a pair of wings come with that beak too?  ;D  ;D  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 11:59:26 PM by Nina »

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2005, 12:26:53 AM »

nice nina ;)

Lew Chater

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 07:53:23 AM »

Nina's take on a "beak" as being something positive is correct. When fishing the Vedder in the late 40's, 50' and 60's a beak at that time meant a fisherman that really knew what he was doing. On the river a lot, catching fish properly and expertly and knowing and using the etiquette of the river.It certainly wasn't a derogatory term originally, but the meaning seems to have changed to the negative over the years. I always liked the term, and even used it in my original e-mail address until the negative connotation started to appear. In our circle of fisherman friends who have been at it for a long time, we still refer to each other as "beaks", and this is a compliment!
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

reeler

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 09:03:07 AM »

Many many years ago, when I went to school in England, the headmaster was known as a beak. They used to call judges beaks.

I don't know how it got started on the rivers, but from my experience, it's all about territory and intimidation. If you show up alone and occupy space where a group of good buds have been since first light, you could be branded a beak.
Add a flyrod and all the roe guys now know for sure you are a beak. If you hook something and they are all skunked,you may want to move on, so great will be your beakdom.

In all the areas on the river that can be fished from both sides, the guys on the other side (whichever side it is) after a few crossed lines are beaks. It's quite easy to figure out. If you have a good spot to yourself and someone comes along, he's a beak. Go on - admit it, were all the same

Shane

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 11:52:51 AM »

Beaks also litter & don't know, or pretend when you confront them, how to identify fish species.  I confront all people doing bad things.  So far no one has told me to mind my own business.  My answer would be it IS my business--it's all our business.  If they are non-compliant I pull-out my cell phone & say, "Hello DFO".

:D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 02:31:11 PM »

Beaks also litter & don't know, or pretend when you confront them, how to identify fish species.  I confront all people doing bad things.  So far no one has told me to mind my own business.  My answer would be it IS my business--it's all our business.  If they are non-compliant I pull-out my cell phone & say, "Hello DFO".

:D

hmmmm...is that beek?...or beak?...or biek?
confrontation will win u.....hmmm......black eyes?  ;D
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

Shane

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 03:44:02 PM »

We will see...

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 04:17:49 PM »

Me being 6'3" and 260lbs I will take my chances at a confrontation when explaining something to someone or back some one up when they do the same. The way I see it if you confront the person that is explaining something to you then you know that you are doing something wrong.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Shane

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 04:24:45 PM »

Amen Bro ;D 

I do use diplomacy. 

Hey, we all gotta police the river in our own way & have each other's backs.  Hopefully this will make an impact for the postive.

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2005, 06:30:12 PM »

does anyone remember aboutfour to five years ago when a fairly large fella pulled a gun out at this other fisherman just because he took his standing spot and would,nt give it up lots of crazies out so be careful

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2005, 06:39:17 PM »

ha I think that was up at scale bar also a knife incident there the same year. Must of forgot his meds

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

scruffy

• Old Timer
  • fish on
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2005, 07:19:57 PM »

the knife incident was the owner that got stabbed the gun incident is another place check it out at bobs fishing

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2005, 09:25:42 PM »

secondary meaning of a 'beek', is a person who's become proficient in angling, who end up with a 'God like' complex....then 'beek' off about things they don't agree with and end up talking out of their a$$es.   ::) ::) ::)  anyone wanna take claim to fame on this one? ::) ::) ::)

crack a dawn

• These boots were made for eating!
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2005, 01:59:56 PM »

Was at Seabird today,,,and before my eyes,, came 2 guys one set up on my left the other on  my right.  Not to mention 10 feet either side.  What did these guys do,,( it was not hot out), dressed in jeans,, they both waded out to their waist. :D  I was out of there the next cast.     I looked back as I was walking away   , and sure enough  both were  crossed lines and snagged!  I should have taken a picture for you guys.     New name is.... SeeBeek Island.

Shane

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2005, 02:36:09 PM »

secondary meaning of a 'beek', is a person who's become proficient in angling, who end up with a 'God like' complex....then 'beek' off about things they don't agree with and end up talking out of their a$$es.   ::) ::) ::)  anyone wanna take claim to fame on this one? ::) ::) ::)

I'm feeling a little defensive on this one...

I just feel strongly about standing-up against poaching & littering.  Do you just do f#>k-all because you don't want to be perceived as high-and-mighty?  Obviously if personal safety is an issue one just "observes & reports".