Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: " Sight Fising "  (Read 5348 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: " Sight Fising "
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »

Snagging has a legal definition. People should check it out on page 80 of the Fishing synopsis:

snagging (foul hooking): hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than the mouth. Attempting to snag fish of any species is prohibited.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/fishing_synopsis.pdf

all this ethics stuff has little real meaning.  I try to live my own set of ethics which may be similar to yours. However I don't see it as my business to bother people who don't live mine. If what they are doing is contrary to the law I may say something and discuss it with them, very carefully.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

VictorBai

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »

Snagging has a legal definition. People should check it out on page 80 of the Fishing synopsis:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/fishing_synopsis.pdf

all this ethics stuff has little real meaning.  I try to live my own set of ethics which may be similar to yours. However I don't see it as my business to bother people who don't live mine. If what they are doing is contrary to the law I may say something and discuss it with them, very carefully.

Seconded.

sumasriver

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2022, 03:08:37 PM »

Fishing with no bait / no lure - just a Bare Hook....

Clearly this is attempting to snag fish and will result in foul hooked fish.  They probably rip hard at the end of each drift or during the retrieve.

Hopefully a CO tickets the hell out anyone doing this and takes all their fishing gear .

People in the lower-mainland need to smarten up and start to respect the wonderful nature we are blessed with here in BC.

4x4

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2022, 03:33:35 PM »

Clearly this is attempting to snag fish and will result in foul hooked fish.  They probably rip hard at the end of each drift or during the retrieve.

Hopefully a CO tickets the hell out anyone doing this and takes all their fishing gear .

People in the lower-mainland need to smarten up and start to respect the wonderful nature we are blessed with here in BC.

X2.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »

Clearly this is attempting to snag fish and will result in foul hooked fish. 

there is no regulation that bans the use of a bare hook. (there was once one that applied to sturgeon fishing only).

With the prevalence of 'pegging' beads like the BNB approach it's hard to imagine how such a regulation can be made.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2022, 06:53:25 PM »

If what they are doing is contrary to the law I may say something and discuss it with them, very carefully.

Was down at Brownsville Bar the other day, lots of anglers out despite the regs being what they are. An older couple hooked a wild trout and beached it. One of the regulars walked over and told them it wasn't legal to keep. The couple didn't seem to understand due to accidental ignorance, willful ignorance, or a language barrier, so the angler walked over, unhooked the fish from their line, and released it while the couple stood by.

It was uncomfortable to watch, though I'm glad the regular had the willingness to step in. He took the time afterwards to explain the regs to them, and also drew some pictures in the sand about ID'ing fish. He was friendly about it all, despite the situation being super awkward. The couple didn't seem to have any idea about fish ID'ing in the Fraser, or what was legal to keep. They caught a 4" sole a few minutes later and carried it over to him to ask what it was.

Good work random guy! I think that most people (myself included) just don't have the appetite to get involved with strangers who may or may not be receptive to the message being conveyed.

(If that was you at Brownsville, send me a PM and I'll introduce myself if I see you again ;D)

Lunk Louie

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2022, 07:48:33 PM »

Yup.....there was another guy sight fishing in the canal this morning....only he was doing it slightly more ethically  :o since he actually had a spoon type lure (no bare hook) about 6' below his float, sight fishing 2-3 ft of water....he did well literally snagging 3 ho's  (one clearly mid-body in the side), in succession and yarding them catapult style (like they do in the bass tourneys) up the 6ft embankment he was standing on and I swear straight through the air into a waiting garbage bag with zero attempt/intent on checking for adipose.....guys on the opposite bank were yelling "fow hook, fow hook" in broken English AND in unison, to no avail...ironically they were Asian guys yelling at him.....I had a chuckle...it went straight into his bag and he continued on ignoring the taunts....the odd thing was I couldn't even give him the benefit of the doubt as being a newbie since he was in street clothes (no wading gear or any gear for that matter) other than his spinning rod cuz he was casting that thing pretty proficiently for a newb....I observed all this from 100m upstream and when I left drove up and down the dyke looking for a CO determined to point the guy out but guess what....no enforcement of any sort in the hottest poaching bed in the lower mainland... :o..I guess the Vedder is way too much potential work for the CO's

I've seen natives fishing this exact same way in the Cap which they are allowed to do (they can do anything they want you know) but this guy was no native so no reprieve there either ......Black, Afro-American (Somali???) in dark blue track suit, his spinning rod and a garbage bag full of who knows how many illegal ho...at least 3
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 08:05:07 PM by Lunk Louie »

Phronesis

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2022, 08:08:22 PM »

Yup.....there was another guy sight fishing in the canal this morning....only he was doing it slightly more ethically  :o since he actually had a spoon type lure (no bare hook) about 6' below his float, sight fishing 2-3 ft of water....he did well literally snagging 3 ho's  (one clearly mid-body in the side), in succession and yarding them catapult style (like they do in the bass tourneys) up the 6ft embankment he was standing on and I swear straight through the air into a waiting garbage bag with zero attempt/intent on checking for adipose.....guys on the opposite bank were yelling "foul hooked, foul hooked" in broken English AND in unison, to no avail...ironically they were Asian guys yelling at him.....I had a chuckle...it went straight into his bag and he continued on ignoring the taunts....the odd thing was I couldn't even give him the benefit of the doubt as being a newbie since he was in street clothes (no wading gear or any gear for that matter) other than his spinning rod cuz he was casting that thing pretty proficiently for a newb....I observed all this from 100m upstream and when I left drove up and down the dyke looking for a CO determined to point the guy out but guess what....no enforcement of any sort in the hottest poaching bed in the lower mainland... :o..I guess the Vedder is way too much potential work for the CO's

I've seen natives fishing this exact same way in the Cap which they are allowed to do (they can do anything they want you know) but this guy was no native so no reprieve there either ......Black, Afro-American (Somali???) in dark blue track suit, his spinning rod and a garbage bag full of who knows how many illegal ho...at least 3

What a racism laden comment ! - congrats on being equally repulsive guy as the snagger

sumasriver

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2022, 09:04:03 PM »

there is no regulation that bans the use of a bare hook. (there was once one that applied to sturgeon fishing only).

With the prevalence of 'pegging' beads like the BNB approach it's hard to imagine how such a regulation can be made.

Beads are not the same as using  a  singly bare hook by itself.

Using only a bare hook and jerking it occasionally on the retrieve is unethical and should be ticketed by a CO.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:42:32 PM by sumasriver »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2022, 09:54:10 PM »

Yup.....there was another guy sight fishing in the canal this morning....only he was doing it slightly more ethically  :o since he actually had a spoon type lure (no bare hook) about 6' below his float, sight fishing 2-3 ft of water....he did well literally snagging 3 ho's  (one clearly mid-body in the side), in succession and yarding them catapult style (like they do in the bass tourneys) up the 6ft embankment he was standing on and I swear straight through the air into a waiting garbage bag with zero attempt/intent on checking for adipose.....guys on the opposite bank were yelling "fow hook, fow hook" in broken English AND in unison, to no avail...ironically they were Asian guys yelling at him.....I had a chuckle...it went straight into his bag and he continued on ignoring the taunts....the odd thing was I couldn't even give him the benefit of the doubt as being a newbie since he was in street clothes (no wading gear or any gear for that matter) other than his spinning rod cuz he was casting that thing pretty proficiently for a newb....I observed all this from 100m upstream and when I left drove up and down the dyke looking for a CO determined to point the guy out but guess what....no enforcement of any sort in the hottest poaching bed in the lower mainland... :o..I guess the Vedder is way too much potential work for the CO's

not true at all, I saw 5 CO at vedder canal, yes 5.. /6 in chilliwack region
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2022, 06:09:00 AM »

Beads are not the same as using  a  singly bare hook by itself.

Using only a bare hook and jerking it occasionally on the retrieve is unethical and should be ticketed by a CO.

some people just won't get this (as in it is willful). FOs/COs, even the RCMP can't issue an infraction ticket for unethical behavior. It has to be illegal.

There is a bare hook  an inch or more behind a pegged bead. A law against use of a bare hook has be able to make the distinction. Most people who write such laws would likely just throw up their hands and not bother.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2022, 09:27:12 AM »

ITs far easier for DFO just to close it to salmon fishing then to bother with anything else. 

It doesn't seem like there is any concern for wild populations and as long as the hatchery gets what it needs there doesn't seem to be a push to stop all the snagging behavior.

DFO a few years ago actually propose a closure in the stave because it was getting to many complaints and tickets. Local SFAB fought to keep it open saying its an enforcement issue.  I believe they caught one person with over 25 fish in their pickup truck.

The difference tho between the stave and vedder is people fishing on the actual spawning grounds rippin fish off their redds.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:40:36 AM by wildmanyeah »

bj23

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2022, 10:14:20 AM »

What a racism laden comment ! - congrats on being equally repulsive guy as the snagger

Where is the racism? The snagger described was not a WASP, wearing a leisure suit, platform boots and rose-colored glasses.

sumasriver

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2022, 11:29:03 AM »

some people just won't get this (as in it is willful). FOs/COs, even the RCMP can't issue an infraction ticket for unethical behavior. It has to be illegal.

There is a bare hook  an inch or more behind a pegged bead. A law against use of a bare hook has be able to make the distinction. Most people who write such laws would likely just throw up their hands and not bother.

Some people just won't get this..... but fishing with a bare hook only will most certainly lead to snagging salmon 

Keeping a snagged salmon is illegal and CO's should definately  be monitoring those fishing in this manner. 
Best case scenario is people fishing the Chilliwack should be helpful to new fishers that may or may not be aware of the proper ways to fish this great river.  This site does a huge service in that regard.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2022, 11:33:58 AM »

lol what's there to debate about. There is one word which would settle it.

Intent.

If a C&P officer or CO sees that your intent is to willfully foul hooking fish, then you will be fined.